Fire Notes 6.26: Fire Advance to USOC Semis with 5-1 Victory Over Orlando City
The Fire hosted Orlando City SC on Wednesday at Toyota Park and showed no mercy, handily defeating the Lions 5-1.
- Mike Magee has now scored a goal in all of his first seven games of his Fire career, shattering all previous club records in the process, scoring in the eighty-third minute to put the Fire up 4-1.
- Chris Rolfe added two goals, opening the scoring in the sixth minute and putting the Fire up 3-1 in the sixty-third minute.
- Rob Valentino equalized in the fifty-first minute, the only goal Orlando would score, when he was passed to right in front of the Fire net and requiring only a tip-in.
- Patrick Nyarko gave the Fire a 2-1 lead in the fifty-ninth minute, just eight minutes after Valentino’s equalizer.
- After the Fire defense packed back in forth for well over a minute, Lindpere netted the closing goal in stoppage time for the 5-1 margin of victory.
- Six cards were handed out in the match, including two reds. Orlando’s Christian Duke was issued a yellow in the 21st minute, and Alex earned one just three minutes later. Orlando’s Songo’o was ejected with the red card in the 71st minute with his team down 3-1, and Segares would earn one of his own just two minutes later. Bryan Burke earned a yellow just three minutes after that and Mbenge brought Orlando down to nine men with a red card in the eighty-sixth minute.
- The Fire will play D.C. United in the semifinals at Toyota Park on August 7th. The winner of that match will face the winner of the Portland Timbers and Real Salt Lake match.
- The attendance was 6,839, a respectable total for an Open Cup fixture.