Major League Soccer released its 2014 Regular Season schedule on Monday, with the season opener scheduled for Saturday, March 8 with a nationally televised game between the attendance juggernaut Seattle Sounders FC and Sporting Kansas City, who will be competing against Real Salt Lake for the 2013 MLS Cup on Saturday, December 7.
The Fire kick off their regular season schedule on Sunday, March 9 at Chivas USA, marking the second consecutive season that the club will open the season in the Los Angeles area, having lost to the LA Galaxy to open the 2013 campaign.
The Fire will then travel to Portland before coming home to face New York. The team will then travel to D.C. to complete their run of four consecutive nationally televised matches to start the season (the first three in Spanish on UniMas, the fourth on NBC Sports Network).
The club will complete their regular season campaign at home on Friday, October 24 against the Houston Dynamo, televised nationally on NBC Sports Network.
The schedule features a break for the World Cup, similar to the NHL’s 2013-14 schedule that takes a few weeks off for the Winter Olympics.
Complete Fire Schedule:
- 3/9 at Chivas USA, 2PM on UniMas
- 3/16 at Portland Timbers, 2PM on UniMas
- 3/23 vs. New York Red Bulls, 2PM on UniMas
- 3/29 at D.C. United, 3PM on NBC Sports Network
- 4/5 vs. Philadelphia Union, 4PM
- 4/12 at Impact de Montréal, Time TBD at Olympic Stadium
- 4/19 vs. New England Revolution, 3PM on NBC Sports Network
- 5/3 vs. Real Salt Lake, 7:30PM
- 5/10 at New York Red Bulls, 6PM on NBC Sports Network
- 5/18 vs. Sporting Kansas City, 2PM on UniMas
- 5/24 at Columbus Crew, 6:30 PM
- 6/1 vs. LA Galaxy, Time TBD on ESPN2
- 6/4 at Colorado Rapids, 8PM
- 6/7 vs. Seattle Sounders FC, 7:30PM
- 7/2 vs. Toronto FC, 7:30PM
- 7/6 at Sporting Kansas City, 2PM on ESPN
- 7/12 at New England Revolution, 6:30PM
- 7/19 vs. Philadelphia Union, 7:30PM
- 7/23 at San Jose Earthquakes, 10PM on NBC Sports Network
- 7/30 vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 7:30PM
- 8/2 vs. Columbus Crew, Time TBD
- 8/10 vs. New York Red Bulls, 7PM on Univision Deportes
- 8/16 at Impact de Montréal, Time TBD
- 8/23 at Toronto FC, Time TBD
- 8/30 vs. FC Dallas, 7:30PM
- 9/7 at New England Revolution, 6PM
- 9/13 vs. Toronto FC, 7PM
- 9/20 vs. D.C. United, Time TBD
- 9/28 at Houston Dynamo, 2PM on UniMas
- 10/2 at Philadelphia Union, 7PM on ESPN2
- 10/5 vs. Impact de Montréal, 4PM
- 10/10 at Sporting Kansas City, 7:30PM
- 10/18 at D.C. United, 6PM
- 10/24 vs. Houston Dynamo, 7PM on NBC Sports Network
Seventeen games take place on the usually scheduled Saturday, while the Fire will play ten games on Sundays next season. The Fire will play just four Wednesday regular season games in 2014, two at home and two on the road. Two regular season games are scheduled for Friday, and one on a Thursday. The Fire’s 2013 regular season consisted on twenty Saturday games, nine Sunday games, three Wednesday games and two Friday matches.
Additional matches will be scheduled as friendlies and in tournament play.