Report: Cubs considering bringing back Addison Russell

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Nobody said he's infallible. But he certainly knows more than us message board posters.

The difference is that is his job and he is paid very well to do it. For us it is a hobby. So because he is getting paid there is accountability to be concidered form his decisions.

That is the main difference here.

Just like any business it survives off of the customer ie fan. Our opinions matter. If they didn’t then Theo wouldn’t have gone to such lengths to PR it up. He knew this was a touchy subject and the female part of the audience is a large share and it affects them indirectly with spouse abuse.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That said I’m pretty sure Theo leaves after his contract ends. He has held to a 10 year term policy and I can see this one being it. The Joe drama this off season. Bad signings. IE resource wasted on underperformance. Ownership limitations on budgets and so on.

Cubs are top 5 market but refuse to act like it.

Add to it the failure to produce a quality farm system outside of the first pick and cheating the international market.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That said I’m pretty sure Theo leaves after his contract ends. He has held to a 10 year term policy and I can see this one being it. The Joe drama this off season. Bad signings. IE resource wasted on underperformance. Ownership limitations on budgets and so on.

Cubs are top 5 market but refuse to act like it.

Add to it the failure to produce a quality farm system outside of the first pick and cheating the international market.

Building a system seems to be what his goals are. Turning franchises around thru the draft. Sustaining it is not what he is cut out for. Now, Nico turns into a great pick and becomes a full time ss or 2bman with Javy, then he will get excited about it again, but looking at late first round picks without gaining any compensatory choices is taking the best part of him away.

It should be enough of a challenge to him to try to sustain the team after the build.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Building a system seems to be what his goals are. Turning franchises around thru the draft. Sustaining it is not what he is cut out for. Now, Nico turns into a great pick and becomes a full time ss or 2bman with Javy, then he will get excited about it again, but looking at late first round picks without gaining any compensatory choices is taking the best part of him away.

It should be enough of a challenge to him to try to sustain the team after the build.

I don’t see it as this.

I see it as he build a window. He built his core. The drafts that fell after have become supporters. They used prime talent remaining to buy proven. What was left was poor residue left from budgetary restrictions. The vast majority of the draft were low upside high floor RHP prospects for years. They were profiling the same guy over and over again for years. None had the leverage to battle over bonus alitment and even took less.

Over all meh. That said this last draft they switched gears and targeted ceilings again so that is a good sign.

I just don’t see him going beyond 10 years with the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Thecthing is when you approach the draft from a business prospective ahead of a baseball prospective you wnd up with a system like the Cubs. The draft was managed as a business model vs a scouting and talent evaluation. Add to it they have been pissvpoor in developing talent but that could just be a result from the poor talent resouses.

A fresh vision would be a nice change. I’m hoping that the last draft is a signal of needed change.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Thecthing is when you approach the draft from a business prospective ahead of a baseball prospective you wnd up with a system like the Cubs. The draft was managed as a business model vs a scouting and talent evaluation. Add to it they have been pissvpoor in developing talent but that could just be a result from the poor talent resouses.

A fresh vision would be a nice change. I’m hoping that the last draft is a signal of needed change.
If for whatever reason Theo decides to leave, I'm pretty sure both he and Rickett will try to convince Hoyer to take over as President..

But unless there some place he prefers to be or has aspirations of becoming an owner or something higher then what he is now, I dont see him leaving unless Rickett decides to stop paying him

Castor76

Liked Posts:
If he leaves, does he go to Cleveland and try to end yet a 3rd drought? No matter what, the guy is in the Hall easily.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If for whatever reason Theo decides to leave, I'm pretty sure both he and Rickett will try to convince Hoyer to take over as President..

But unless there some place he prefers to be or has aspirations of becoming an owner or something higher then what he is now, I dont see him leaving unless Rickett decides to stop paying him

More of a quest for building new vs owning or maintaining

chibears55

Liked Posts:
More of a quest for building new vs owning or maintaining
Build new???

Took his first 5 years to break down and put together a young talented team, and you think 5 years into it , where most of the talent is still young that their gonna change direction and build something new???

Doubt it

Even if he does sign Harper, with all the money coming off the book in the next year or two he gonna have plenty of money to spend along with some talented players entering their prime

He not leaving that and the Ricketts would be fools to let him go and start over with someone else

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Just so we have this straight, his daughter was born to Mallory Engstrom in May of 2015. His second child was born to Melissa Reidy in August of 2015 (same year). Asti Kelly is the one he is expecting another son with, they got together in April 2018 and announced she was pregnant in May 2018. Dont know when the baby was born, but https://www.instagram.com/p/Bpr7DixhJpH/ he is here.

Apparently this is why Reidy felt it necessary to start the media up again.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah.. he gone
Signing of Descalsco and the interest in Tulowitzki is all the proof we need

You've been saying that for 3 months now and he's still here. Not trying to be a dick but perhaps it's time to consider you're wrong. The cubs made their choice. You think anything coming out now is "new" to them?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
You've been saying that for 3 months now and he's still here. Not trying to be a dick but perhaps it's time to consider you're wrong. The cubs made their choice. You think anything coming out now is "new" to them?
I think their just doing their due diligence with him and the situation and when the time right whether it in the offseason or before the suspension ends, they will trade or release him..

I just dont think he will play another game in a cubs uniform

If they go out and bring in Tulo or another player to play SS or 2B, their not bringing him in to keep it warm til Russell returns in May

Their doing it with the intention of Russell not playing another game for them..

Now if they stay as is with the middle infield, then yeah, they probably are considering him returning at some point in May

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I think their just doing their due diligence with him

To what end? If what he has done is a disqualifying action to the team then he would already be gone. You don't take the PR hit by tendering him and then change course. That ship has sailed.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
To what end? If what he has done is a disqualifying action to the team then he would already be gone. You don't take the PR hit by tendering him and then change course. That ship has sailed.
We shall see in the next 4 months....

Picking up the option just bought them time to give them the option/chance to trade him later and get something for him

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
We shall see in the next 4 months....

Picking up the option just bought them time to give them the option/chance to trade him later and get something for him

I mean maybe but what has changed between then and now that would make him any more tradable? As I have said before, maybe there's a chance they deal him in july but I think people should resign themselves to the fact he's gonna be on the roster in may. The reason for that being if they could trade him in Nov they would have and as I said there's no reason to think anything has changed in that regard. Maybe some team just gets absolutely desperate but I wouldn't bet on it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yeah.. he gone
Signing of Descalsco and the interest in Tulowitzki is all the proof we need

This is the 200th post in which you have stated definitively that the Cubs are getting rid of Russell.

They may eventually do so, but you have been saying it for a year. And it is always imminent, and you always have some different thing you point to as "proof".

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think their just doing their due diligence with him and the situation and when the time right whether it in the offseason or before the suspension ends, they will trade or release him..

I just dont think he will play another game in a cubs uniform

If they go out and bring in Tulo or another player to play SS or 2B, their not bringing him in to keep it warm til Russell returns in May

Their doing it with the intention of Russell not playing another game for them..

Now if they stay as is with the middle infield, then yeah, they probably are considering him returning at some point in May

You think if they are getting rid of Russell, they are acquiring Tulowitzki to play SS full time?