In review

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I call bullshit.....

you are disappointed at 12-4 with the only difference being Mack. I don't think you predicting a winning season before the Mack trade and just adding Mack you expected the Bears should have been better than 12-4 and winning the division......bullshit.

I'll give you a little leeway on the offense, but as you have stated in the past you judge QBs on points scored. The Bears offense went from 14.4 points a game to 23.1 points a game....this is after defense scores removed

They went from .283 points scored per play in 2017 to .405 points scored per play. And before you cry turnovers as the big difference, the Bears offense was dead last in yards per drive last year and went to 16th....that is a 16 team jump in the first year of an offense. The Bears had only 1 more offensive drive in 2018 than in 2017. The average start of a drive in 2017 was on the 27 yard line, in 2018 it was the 29 yard line......so they gained about 2 net yards on those turnovers per drive....

They were the second worst in points scored per game last year to 12th best this year....what jump were you expecting that 12th is disappointing? A jump of 19 slots in one year. Did you expect them to be a top 5 scoring offense the first year?

I said in the Mack thread after adding Mack that if Trubs is the real deal that we were serious playoff contender. I have posted the posts several times over the past several months as posters with low expectations keep claiming bullshit as you just did. Feel free to go find the Mack thread as search function currently disabled or go ask Sugarwalls as he made this false claim several times and I posted my posts from the Mack thread to refute his bullshit claims.

That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.

In addition, I am not sure why you are comparing to 2017. This is historically a pretty shitty franchise and yes it is disappointing that in a year we finally made the playoffs, we shit the bed. I have no desire to praise them for improving upon an abysmal season last year nor am I going to celebrate 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I don't begrudge others with low expectations that they are simply content with making the playoffs but no I will never be content with such an outcome. This team could have easily competed for a SB this year and we fucked it up. That is why I am disappointed. Period. End of Story.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
499 to go.
I'm trying to not cause any drama or butthurt.

By the way, for the newest version of Tapatalk, does anyone know how to disable notifications and change your sig so it omits the line about you sending the message from your phone?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 2018 Bears steadily improved as the year went on.

Not sure about offensively. They scored 235 points in the first half of the season, 186 in the second.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I do like the comparison to the 2001 season, although I would bet this team is significantly younger and that gives me hope that there wont be a 2002-2005 type "dip in performance" that followed after the 2001 season.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said in the Mack thread after adding Mack that if Trubs is the real deal that we were serious playoff contender. I have posted the posts several times over the past several months as posters with low expectations keep claiming bullshit as you just did. Feel free to go find the Mack thread as search function currently disabled or go ask Sugarwalls as he made this false claim several times and I posted my posts from the Mack thread to refute his bullshit claims.

That aside, the disappointment comes from losing a winnable playoff game. I don't care about how they did over the course of the year. They lost a playoff game against a pretty mediocre Eagles team with the offense putting up 15 points. I could understand bowing out to the Saints or Rams but no will never accept bowing out to a lesser team where the offensive genius Nagy's offense only managed 15 points. Don't really give a shit about how many points they scored against scrubs in the regular season. His offense failed at the most critical time of the postseason.

In addition, I am not sure why you are comparing to 2017. This is historically a pretty shitty franchise and yes it is disappointing that in a year we finally made the playoffs, we shit the bed. I have no desire to praise them for improving upon an abysmal season last year nor am I going to celebrate 1 playoff appearance in the last 8 years. I don't begrudge others with low expectations that they are simply content with making the playoffs but no I will never be content with such an outcome. This team could have easily competed for a SB this year and we fucked it up. That is why I am disappointed. Period. End of Story.

What does serious playoff contender mean?

To me it sounds like we are serious contending for a playoff spot which we did.

Why would I not compare it to 2017? That is how you measure growth from one year to another.

It sounds like your expectations grew throughout the year even though they probably surpassed what you expected at the beginning.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What does serious playoff contender mean?

To me it sounds like we are serious contending for a playoff spot which we did.

Why would I not compare it to 2017? That is how you measure growth from one year to another.

It sounds like your expectations grew throughout the year even though they probably surpassed what you expected at the beginning.

I never said anything about measuring growth from one year to the next. The thread is about our review of this year and I gave it based on my thought process not yours. If you want to compare to 2017 then that is your right and that is your Review of the year.

My review of the year is based on what I considered to be the team's potential and whether they met it. This was a SB championship caliber team IMO that failed to win a single playoff game so overall that is disappointing to me. However again, you are free to feel however you want based on your own evaluation but trying to tell me how I should feel or force me to measure based on your criteria is just odd.

And sure this team was better than I perhaps expected at the start of the year. That doesn't not mean I shouldn't be disappointed because nothing is static. If my expectations changed then that means I can now be disappointed based on those new expectations. That is kind of how life works.

This would be like saying I found an painting and I thought it was worth 1,000 bucks. I took it to an appraiser and he says it is worth 1 million and you telling me I should be content with accepting 100k because that exceeds what I originally thought. That is absurd to me. My judgement on whether I am content is based on the new 1 million appraised value ie after watching the team play not my speculative opinion regarding how good they were on paper.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm trying to not cause any drama or butthurt.

By the way, for the newest version of Tapatalk, does anyone know how to disable notifications and change your sig so it omits the line about you sending the message from your phone?

Go to me > settings > Push Notifications and Signature

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure about offensively. They scored 235 points in the first half of the season, 186 in the second.

They won more games in the second half than the first.

I don't count a ton points scored in a losing effort necessarily better than less points scored in a winning effort.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They won more games in the second half than the first.

I don't count a ton points scored in a losing effort necessarily better than less points scored in a winning effort.
Fair enough.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I do like the comparison to the 2001 season, although I would bet this team is significantly younger and that gives me hope that there wont be a 2002-2005 type "dip in performance" that followed after the 2001 season.
I agree.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never said anything about measuring growth from one year to the next. The thread is about our review of this year and I gave it based on my thought process not yours. If you want to compare to 2017 then that is your right and that is your Review of the year.

My review of the year is based on what I considered to be the team's potential and whether they met it. This was a SB championship caliber team IMO that failed to win a single playoff game so overall that is disappointing to me. However again, you are free to feel however you want based on your own evaluation but trying to tell me how I should feel or force me to measure based on your criteria is just odd.

You said you expected our offense to be better than it was....Did you honestly expect the offense to go from second to last in points scored to better than where it would up which is 12th....just curious on your expectations. Because if you expected a better offense that would have been one hell of a swing you were expecting.

What point total per game did your expectations desire?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
WTF? You girls are delusional... and real stupid.

Let me explain. Your response was fairly aggressive and had a lot of finger pointing. I wanted to reply in an overly aggressive manner suggesting that it was actually your weak cheering ultimately determined the outcome of the game.

Clearly there is no way I would have known how you cheered and it's not realistic to expect that one fan's cheering style has any barring on the game.

It was what many of us call a 'joke'. I understand that sarcasm is often lost in text, so I tried to highlight this by making certain words in a larger, red font and others in smaller, light purple, but it appears this was not received on your end.

Going forward I'll take note that you take yourself fairly seriously and don't really like that kind of humor.

We good?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You said you expected our offense to be better than it was....Did you honestly expect the offense to go from second to last in points scored to better than where it would up which is 12th....just curious on your expectations. Because if you expected a better offense that would have been one hell of a swing you were expecting.

What point total per game did your expectations desire?

More than 15 points in the playoffs against a mediocre D. I thought I made it quite clear my disappointment has nothing to do with average points for the year against shitty teams. It has to do with the offensive genius Matt Nagy scoring like a John Fox offense in the playoffs. I don't care if the Bears were the No 1 scoring offense in the regular season if they then shit the bed and score 15 in the playoffs.

In fact, the fact they scored well below their regular season average in a shitty playoff loss is precisely why I am disappointed. Once again, the team did not live up to it's potential. If they had played well and lost then I would just consider that shitty luck. It is the way they lost with 15 anemic points on offense that is disappointing. I truly and sick and tired of the Bears always having to try and win it on Defense and 15 points is simply not acceptable for an offensive minded HC. It simply is not.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
More than 15 points in the playoffs against a mediocre D. I thought I made it quite clear my disappointment has nothing to do with average points for the year against shitty teams. It has to do with the offensive genius Matt Nagy scoring like a John Fox offense in the playoffs. I don't care if the Bears were the No 1 scoring offense in the regular season if they then shit the bed and score 15 in the playoffs.

In fact, the fact they scored well below their regular season average in a shitty playoff loss is precisely why I am disappointed. Once again, the team did not live up to it's potential. If they had played well and lost then I would just consider that shitty luck. It is the way they lost with 15 anemic points on offense that is disappointing. I truly and sick and tired of the Bears always having to try and win it on Defense and 15 points is simply not acceptable for an offensive minded HC. It simply is not.

You are straying off target worse than a Parkey kick....that isn't what we were discussing.

You said that 12-4, winning the division, but losing the first round in the playoffs did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

You also said the offense scoring 24.4 points a game, good for 12th in the league did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

How deep did you expect the Bears to go into the playoffs at the beginning of the season and how many points did you expect this team to score per game?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You are straying off target worse than a Parkey kick....that isn't what we were discussing.

You said that 12-4, winning the division, but losing the first round in the playoffs did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

You also said the offense scoring 24.4 points a game, good for 12th in the league did not meet your expectations at the beginning of the season.

How deep did you expect the Bears to go into the playoffs at the beginning of the season and how many points did you expect this team to score per game?

No this is what I said.

Disappointing year for me. Sorry. After getting Mack and a No 1 D, I honestly expected more from our offensive guru. Yes 12-4 was great but I honestly think we missed out on a legit SB run because of easily correctable issues with the offense that persisted for much of the year.

If we learn from this and make that SB run next year then that will limit the sting. But with a tight cap next year, potential regression on D particularly in turnovers, and no guarantee the O can ever be worthy of this D, it is entirely possible we end up looking back 5 years from now and saying 2018 was a massive missed opportunity.

The bolded statements were a continuation of each other. My expecting more from our offensive guru was in reference to his not correcting the issues with the offense that ultimately led to 15 points in the playoffs. I said nothing about the average points for the year and when you tried to make that link I corrected you as follows.

So not sure what to tell you. You are trying to impose your interpretation of my comments onto me. I don't give a fuck how many points we averaged in the regular season. For the latter half of the year when we were putting up 15 on the Rams or 14 on the Niners I was complaining about the lack of offense and all sorts of posters were calling me a hater and saying be happy with the win. Then we scored 15 against the Eagles and now sitting at home.

I absolutely never said what you claim about the offense You misread my posts and keep disregarding me trying to correct your misreading. The Bears could have averaged 50 points during the regular season and I would be even more disappointed they shit the bed and only scored 15 in the playoffs when it counted.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let me explain. Your response was fairly aggressive and had a lot of finger pointing. I wanted to reply in an overly aggressive manner suggesting that it was actually your weak cheering ultimately determined the outcome of the game.

Clearly there is no way I would have known how you cheered and it's not realistic to expect that one fan's cheering style has any barring on the game.

It was what many of us call a 'joke'. I understand that sarcasm is often lost in text, so I tried to highlight this by making certain words in a larger, red font and others in smaller, light purple, but it appears this was not received on your end.

Going forward I'll take note that you take yourself fairly seriously and don't really like that kind of humor.

We good?
Maybe there was no humor in to be found in the first place. :shrug:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remy.

Disappointing year for me.

You said the above.......Did you expect more from this year at the beginning or did you expectations grow as the year went on. It is a little confusing because If someone told me at the beginning of the year they'd go 12-4 and win the division it would not have been disappointed.

I am disappointed that they lost the game, but they still exceeded my initial expectations at the beginning of the year.

So which is it? Honestly I am curious...did they exceed your beginning of the year expectations or not. I'd like a frame of reference for your Disappointing year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy.

Disappointing year for me.

You said the above.......Did you expect more from this year at the beginning or did you expectations grow as the year went on. It is a little confusing because If someone told me at the beginning of the year they'd go 12-4 and win the division it would not have been disappointed.

I am disappointed that they lost the game, but they still exceeded my initial expectations at the beginning of the year.

So which is it? Honestly I am curious...did they exceed your beginning of the year expectations or not. I'd like a frame of reference for your Disappointing year.

I thought I already answered this.

After the addition of Mack, I thought they were a playoff contender. How far they went in the playoffs was unknowable at that time as it is just paper.

However, after watching the team play and seeing how the talent came together this was easily one of the more complete teams in the NFL and for me a SB contender. So yes my expectations did increase because paper is just paper. You can't legit know how good a team is until they play.

Where we differ is you seem to think one is beholden to their original expectations. Again let's use the example of the painting. If I saw a painting I thought was worth 1,000 but then it appraised for 1 million, why would I accept 100k as payment? You would seem to argue that since I only thought it was worth 1k I should be ecstatic about the 100k. However, it is obvious my initial expectation was based on imperfect info and it is clear I now know the painting is worth 1 million so why would I be satisfied with 100k?

This is the difference in our approach. I may have only expected 1k from the Bears to start but that was an imperfect expectation based on how a team looks on paper. The Bears were then appraised over the course of the season and I came to realize they were much better than my incorrect assumption. I thought they were a playoff contender at the start but I realized they were actually a SB contender based on their talent relative to their competition.

However, in the end they lost in the first 1 to a team they were much better than IMO. So I am left with 100k season when I know in my heart this team was capable of a 1 million season. That is disappointing to me and I have no reason to ignore how good I saw them be over the course of the year and go back to my imperfect assessment of them based on names on a paper at the start of the year. However, if you was to base your assessment on your initial thoughts then do you. I don't care but you can't force others to feel the same way. Just chalk it up to you and I have different ways of evaluating things which is fine.