Free Agent Targets for the Bears

CaptnSUG

BANNED
Liked Posts:
It'll be eight games, I'm nearly certain. Especially since he'll get a little credit for "time served" having missed the last quarter of 2018.

For that reason they wont get rid of Howard unless they get the kind of offer that makes them believe they could make the team better. Conventional wisdom has been that if Howard is dealt it would be for picks, but what if they could get a player instead? Like a nickel back or tight-end?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I have been a Shane Ray fan since the draft.

He has for the most part either been stuck behind Miller/Ware or injured...

There is a lot of upside to be had - would love for him to be Lynch's replacement.
Ummm not really. He was never behind Miller lol. Ware hasn't played since the 2016 season, where he only played 10 games and started 8. A better assessment would be that Ray has absolutely not taken advatange of his "time to shine" the last two years. He did have a good 2016 when he was actually "stuck behind" an aging Ware.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ummm not really. He was never behind Miller lol. Ware hasn't played since the 2016 season, where he only played 10 games and started 8. A better assessment would be that Ray has absolutely not taken advatange of his "time to shine" the last two years. He did have a good 2016 when he was actually "stuck behind" an aging Ware.

Ray is just a situational pass rusher but he is still young. Ill take a flyer

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

his time to shine was taken away by a torn ligament in his wrist which pretty much derailed the 2017 season. I dont know what to make of 2018, he seemed like a player who was going through the motions hoping to get cut and get a fresh start.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
his time to shine was taken away by a torn ligament in his wrist which pretty much derailed the 2017 season. I dont know what to make of 2018, he seemed like a player who was going through the motions hoping to get cut and get a fresh start.

Well he was on the Broncos so i dont blame him

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Bears should look at a few of those guys.

High picks with talent, that need a fresh start or a change of scenery. Can be cheap and fill a backup role and see if they can spark themselves.

I think that is the best way for them to get bang for their buck.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

Wut?

Of course he was behind Miller, you are telling me that if Miller goes down (when they had both Miller and Ware), Ray wouldn't have taken his spot or at least the majority of the snaps?

He was definitely behind Ware in 2015 - Ware played 3 less games and still had 50 more snaps than him.

He had a good year in 2016 putting up 8 sacks he eclipsed Ware that year (mostly due to Ware getting injured)- so you are even wrong when you said he was stuck behind Ware.

Ray was injured in 2017.

No idea what happened to him in 2018.

I like his talent enough that I would definitely him a spot as a situational pass rusher with Mack and Floyd taking majority of snaps.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
SS Clayton Geathers

NB Rashaan Melvin

OLB John Simon

DL Henry Anderson

OG Quinton Spain

RB LeGarrette Blount

FoCo

Liked Posts:
[video]https://twitter.com/i/status/1091087651703279618[/video]

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Aaron Leming
Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
On the surface, the #Bears appear limited in cap space. Ultimately, they can’t spend like they have but I have a growing feeling that they are going to find ways to add some high quality players this offseason & we’ll look back & wonder how Pace was able to do it.
4:04 PM · Feb 8, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Aaron Leming
Aaron Leming
@AaronLemingNFL
On the surface, the #Bears appear limited in cap space. Ultimately, they can’t spend like they have but I have a growing feeling that they are going to find ways to add some high quality players this offseason & we’ll look back & wonder how Pace was able to do it.
4:04 PM · Feb 8, 2019 · Twitter for iPhone

Mortgaging the future a little, which is not the end of the world in this window, and then hoping the new CBA leads to a big salary cap bump.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
https://email.fansided.com/c/eJx1Tl...8cnGfwf92jd4wuONUCTRrTWYfuLhanYG44Ya_4_JThiLg

The Chicago Bears mailbag for this week is firmly entrenched in finding the key positions on the roster that can possibly be upgraded.
Everybody with a lick of common sense can see the reality at this point. The Bears are a good football team again. They went 12-4 in 2018 and were a missed field goal away from knocking off the defending Super Bowl champions in the wild card round. They could be one or two more moves away from becoming a genuine favorite to reach the big game themselves. It’s a matter of how they can do that.

Here are the questions you all needed answered, starting with the ongoing debate raging around the running back position.

Erik Lambert
@ErikLambert1
· Feb 9, 2019
I have some free time so if you have any #Bears questions for a new mailbag this morning, feel free to send them my way.

~drea~
@drea__smith
Overall grade for Jordan Howard?

5:16 AM - Feb 9, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See ~drea~'s other Tweets
I’m a big fan of Howard and believe he’s the heart of that offense in many ways. When he goes, they go. That said, I also know he’s a back with limitations. He doesn’t have the explosiveness to thrive on limited touches. He’s a volume-type. The more he gets the ball, the more effective he becomes as a game progresses. That is good in some offenses, but not Matt Nagy’s.

A West Coast-style offense spreads the ball around. It’s designed to keep defenses guessing and get everybody involved. Combined with his obvious lack of feel outside a zone blocking scheme, there were obvious drawbacks exposed in Howard last season. Overall I’d grade him C+ for the year thanks to his strong surge down the stretch.

Erik Lambert
@ErikLambert1
· Feb 9, 2019
I have some free time so if you have any #Bears questions for a new mailbag this morning, feel free to send them my way.

John Schoppert
@johnnyschop
Any thoughts on whether the #bears will sign Kareem Hunt in light of Allen Robinson’s comments?

7:44 AM - Feb 9, 2019
It’s been well-established that the Bears are at least open to the idea of Hunt. If they weren’t, they would have flatly denied any interest from the start. A few things I think they’re waiting on:

They want to see how much effort he puts into making amends for his mistakes.
They want to see how long the NFL plans to suspend him for.
If Hunt isn’t putting in the time to correct his obvious problematic behaviors or could be suspended for eight or more games? Odds are they’ll let somebody else sign him and seek out options elsewhere. On the other hand, if he puts in the effort and it’s only 4-6 games? There is a strong chance they trust their locker room stability enough to handle PR backlash.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I have more sources than Erik Lambert and I have no sources.

He actually doesn't say anything in there.