2019 Draft

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Actually... here is the scenario I see in my head. Somehow one of the top two teams don't do what everyone thinks they will. That means the number one guy in the draft on a lot of teams boards will still be available.

They thing sweet I can move up and reach out to Bowman. Bowman get's a reasonably good deal cause he holds all the cards and thinks to himself well I like these two guys the best in this draft and if I move down I can get them both and a boatload more picks.

So he makes the deal, say with the kings and moves to say 5th and 22nd. He's like fuck yeah, I'm down to 5th and my guy is still going to be there. Then poof his guy gets picked fourth and he's like that's ok I can pick my second guy and still be good, and my 3rd favorite will still be at 22nd. And then boom by the time he gets to 22nd, he's on his 9th favorite. And instead of getting his #1 he got the 3 and 9 instead.

Orrrr. the exact opposite, and he'll freak out and Pull a bears and give up his whole draft to swap with the rangers and move up one to pick a guy they weren't going to take anyway.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We can't mess this up.

Kakko Hossa-Hughes Lecauvileir-Lord Byram Doughty

Everyone relax.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So what’s fucking it up at this point?

If we come out of this with one of
Hughes
Kakko
Byram
Turcotte
Pod

How can any of us really complain?
Out of those thr only one I worry about is Pod.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Kakko
2. Byram
3. Hughes
4. Turcotte
5. Pods

Their seems to be a definitive tier of first-rate extreme ceiling guys...and for that reason I would call getting cute in this draft trading below #5 without a massive blow you away offer.

There might be ways to get around that and I aim to be open minded about however the draft goes, but sit and take the best player that falls in our laps seems to be a godsend. Any of them sound fucking perfect for this team.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
1. Kakko
2. Byram
3. Hughes
4. Turcotte
5. Pods

Their seems to be a definitive tier of first-rate extreme ceiling guys...and for that reason I would call getting cute in this draft trading below #5 without a massive blow you away offer.

There might be ways to get around that and I aim to be open minded about however the draft goes, but sit and take the best player that falls in our laps seems to be a godsend. Any of them sound fucking perfect for this team.
Definitely. I don't accept any off to move below five that doesn't have Turris in it.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know if its a twit on twitter claiming the hawks are going strong after, wait, you better sit down for this, Kevin Hayes. The guy who would not show up after the hawks drafted him because he knows the hawks bury players to retain control.

Guess if its true it brings some grit to the over crowded center lineup, so they could not be wanting Hughes if this is true.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We can't mess this up.

Kakko Hossa-Hughes Lecauvileir-Lord Byram Doughty

Everyone relax.
So what’s fucking it up at this point?

If we come out of this with one of
Hughes
Kakko
Byram
Turcotte
Pod

How can any of us really complain?
As aforementioned, some of us fear Stan will think he's the smartest guy in the room and do something completely guano. It's not that we fear him picking one of them--it's that we fear he doesn't. Further: while it's possibly to win in a trade if we not only get a haul back but also rid ourselves of some dead cap, there again likes the possibility that Stan thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and goes after a trade deal that gives the team exactly what it doesn't need.

In my opinion, right now the three most pressing needs are (3) Future Goalie--which we shouldn't be going after this early in the draft and ones can always be gotten in the FA market. (2) Defensive FWD - ideally a Hossa/Datsyuk clone but I'd settle for a Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews clone. (1) Hingepin D-man who can play a ton of minutes and is good in all three zones - A Keith/Doughty clone.

Kakko, Byram and Turcotte fit that bill. What the 'hawks specifically don't need is a small scoring/perimeter FWD (we already got Kane & Debrincat who do that job as good if not better than anyone), or a small O-only 13th-FWD D-man - Like Gus. What worries me is that Stan may target that type, and we'll still have the goatse-sized holes in the D-side of things.

As for Hughes...While his type is redundant and he did disappear like food on Oprah's buffet table in the IIHF, he could still give us options out for someone else, so I wouldn't be against us picking him if he falls to 3, but I think Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte have the best chance of being around at pick (especially Byram or Turcotte) and directly fill a hole the 'hawks have.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As aforementioned, some of us fear Stan will think he's the smartest guy in the room and do something completely guano. It's not that we fear him picking one of them--it's that we fear he doesn't. Further: while it's possibly to win in a trade if we not only get a haul back but also rid ourselves of some dead cap, there again likes the possibility that Stan thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and goes after a trade deal that gives the team exactly what it doesn't need.

In my opinion, right now the three most pressing needs are (3) Future Goalie--which we shouldn't be going after this early in the draft and ones can always be gotten in the FA market. (2) Defensive FWD - ideally a Hossa/Datsyuk clone but I'd settle for a Bergeron/Kopitar/Toews clone. (1) Hingepin D-man who can play a ton of minutes and is good in all three zones - A Keith/Doughty clone.

Kakko, Byram and Turcotte fit that bill. What the 'hawks specifically don't need is a small scoring/perimeter FWD (we already got Kane & Debrincat who do that job as good if not better than anyone), or a small O-only 13th-FWD D-man - Like Gus. What worries me is that Stan may target that type, and we'll still have the goatse-sized holes in the D-side of things.

As for Hughes...While his type is redundant and he did disappear like food on Oprah's buffet table in the IIHF, he could still give us options out for someone else, so I wouldn't be against us picking him if he falls to 3, but I think Kakko, Byram, and Turcotte have the best chance of being around at pick (especially Byram or Turcotte) and directly fill a hole the 'hawks have.

I'm seriously fine with trading a piece or two to move up and get Kappo Kakko. I buy that guy at any cost.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm seriously fine with trading a piece or two to move up and get Kappo Kakko. I buy that guy at any cost.
I'm finally disappointed to get Byram. Kakko or Hughes would have been insane with Kaner still prime, and Cat peaking. Saad and Seabrook need to fix their fucking tires by some new training technique, or yoga or some shit.

Bikram would be good Seabs. Hill sprints and bike sprints would probably fix Saad.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think hughes is overrated I like Kakko he has size and a Dman im good sit tight at 3 Stan

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Thumbs up just for use of guano

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn't.

IMHO both the Rags and NJ are both in the same position the 'hawks are: if you want their pick, you're not only going to have to offer a haul; you're going to have to take on dead cap as well.

So what do the 'hawks have to offer? Honestly, anyone on the team that's close to "haul" is a player we probably shouldn't get rid of (Think Debrincat), and further, we already have a lot of dead cap, which would further constrict the 'hawks from icing the best squad if we had to take dead cap back just for the #1.

Further, the only guarantee is we get NJ's pick, since NJ could take Kakko #1 OA.

Why take on dead cap or lose an actual asset? If we get Kakko we still have to worry about the hole on D. If we lose out on Kakko we may still have the hole for a defensive FWD (or on D--if we go Turcotte over Byram), but we'll have whatever asset we *didn't* trade away and we'll have less dead cap to bolster the roster (and possibly less long-term dead cap if they try to trade us another Seabrook).

IMHO trying to trade up is one way Stan can try to be the smartest guy in the room and screw the pooch.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The draft appears to be headed for either 1. Hughes 2. Kakko 3. Byram or

1. Kakko 2. Byram 3. Hughes...

my only question if the latter actually happened...is does that cause some kind of "cute" "catostrophic" domino effect where you have a franchise flag barer of the future and ship Keith, Toews, or Kane or all 3 and trigger a rebuild?

Jack Hughes is a cute child.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The draft appears to be headed for either 1. Hughes 2. Kakko 3. Byram or

1. Kakko 2. Byram 3. Hughes...

my only question if the latter actually happened...is does that cause some kind of "cute" "catostrophic" domino effect where you have a franchise flag barer of the future and ship Keith, Toews, or Kane or all 3 and trigger a rebuild?

Jack Hughes is a cute child.
Under no scenario will Kane, Toews, and Keith be traded.