Update- Santo in! 15 of 16 votes

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jackson never shown as doing a thing wrong

Ironically the Sox learned about cheating from the 1918 Cubs

1918 Cubs is also sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was full-on true though. Lots of shenanigans back in those days. From what I've read Jackson actually testified that he did bad things in front of a grand jury, but who knows anymore right?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1918 Cubs is also sketchy. I wouldn't be surprised if it was full-on true though. Lots of shenanigans back in those days. From what I've read Jackson actually testified that he did bad things in front of a grand jury, but who knows anymore right?

I knew at one time the Chicago Historical Society was going to have an exhibition with all the evidence a few years ago but they haven't done it yet afaik

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
. From what I've read Jackson actually testified that he did bad things in front of a grand jury, but who knows anymore right?

You can actually see the testimony and apparently the admission was sensationalism instead of truth

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
First thing I do if I'm commissioner of MLB is to reinstate Pete Rose for HOF voting. Reinstate Shoeless Joe as well.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
First thing I do if I'm commissioner of MLB is to reinstate Pete Rose for HOF voting. Reinstate Shoeless Joe as well.

At the risk of making you upset, can we start this as a new thread? I think it's a great topic to discuss

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
A blog that I wrote today which can be found on our blog home at Worldseriesdreaming.com

Santo May FINALLY Get the Call to the Hall

Today, the Major League Baseball Veteran’s committee will vote on players from the “Golden Era” of baseball to right the wrongs of the baseball writers of years past. These are the men who have been denied access to the Hall of Fame by the writers during their primary years of eligibility. There is only one name on that list that Cub fans care about though, the late great Ron Santo is once again up for consideration, and many people believe that this will finally be the year that he gets elected into the hallowed halls of baseball’s greatest players.

This year may be Santo’s best chance to get elected, as the rules for enshrinement have changed. Now, there is a 16 man team that will decide the fate of every player in consideration, and you only need to collect 12 votes. The men who will be voting on Santo’s fate are all hall of fame members. Eight are hall of fame players, five are hall of fame executives and three are hall of fame baseball writers.

Many people feel that the key for Santo is Brooks Robinson who has been one of Santo’s greatest supporters every year in his bid to make the Hall of Fame. A hall of fame third baseman himself, Robinson knows what a hall of fame third baseman should look like. Also on the team that will be voting is Santo’s former teammate Billy Williams, who will also be casting a vote for his candidacy. Right there is two votes already locked in, with only 10 more needed. Surely out of the remaining 14 men he can collect 10 more votes.

Another thing that might possibly help Santo’s chances this year, sadly, is the sympathy vote. This being his first opportunity since his passing the Veteran’s committee may feel sorry for him and his family and elect him in. This is surely not the way he would have wanted to get elected to the Hall of Fame, as he would have loved to have been around to enjoy the feeling of being honored as one of the greats in baseball history.

Every other year, the Veteran’s committee has passed on Santo declaring for themselves that he was not a hall of fame player. He garnered a lot of support, but every year he fell just short with his peers just as he did with the baseball writers association years and years ago. Some people and players do not feel that his stats measure up to what a Hall of Fame player should be, but his stats do surpass some players in the hall of fame. However, there are also a lot of players in there that many feel should not be. Other people believe that Santo was “a self promoting jerk” (their words not mine). Whatever their reason was, Santo was forced to sit outside looking in like much like Charlie Bucket looking in to the Willy Wonka candy store knowing he had no money for chocolate.

This year, the deck has seemingly been stacked in his favor. The only shameful part of this whole thing is that this will come one year to late. Ironically, the vote today comes one day after the one year anniversary of the day of Santo’s death. The results of the vote will be revealed tomorrow.

While he is no longer around to enjoy the honor of being a member of the Hall of Fame, I am sure all over there are Cub fans who are doing the celebrating for him.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Given all the changes in which each one made it easier for Ron to get in, this last deck makes him a shoe in. Congratulations Santo family

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If Ron didn't make it, the next time the committee meets it will be changed again to consist of Ron's family only.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
15 of 16 votes

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ron Santo DESERVED this when he was alive and could enjoy it.

pete rose said it best..."what good is the hall of fame when your dead?"

Im happy for ron and his family...but this is complete Bullshit!!!!

NOW he gets in after he is gone...WTF IS THAT

Fuck the veterans committee..This man was robbed for many years and NOW gets the call after the fact he is gone...assholes

Saying that Im very happy he is FINALLY in...just a damn shame it came many years too late

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
Too bad he isn't here to enjoy it. If only they could have done it the last 2 years while he was alive to witness it.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Welcome to Cooperstown, Ron Santo! |

Breaking News: This just in, Cubs 3B Ron Santo was inducted into the 2012 Hall of Fame. Santo needed to receive 12 out of 16 votes (75%) and he received 15 votes. Too bad Santo is not here to live an accomplishment. Santo said all he wanted to see was him being welcome into Cooperstown. It’s truly sad he didn’t and should have made the Hall of Fame long ago. But at the end, it’s still going to be nice to see his name in New York. For his friends, family and fans. Santo will officially be enshrine into the Hall of Fame on July 22nd.

Ron Santo was signed by the Cubs in 1959 and made his debut on June 26th, 1960. During Santo’s 15 year career, he was dealing with diabetes and it nevered slowed him down once. During the 15 years, Santo played with the Cubs (1960-1973) and the White Sox (1974). Santo had a great career and was one of the best 3B in the game. Especially as a Cub 3B..

Ron Santo had career stats of… Batting average: .277; Home runs: 342; Hits: 2,254; Runs batted in: 1,331

Also, Santo was a 9 time all-star (1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973), 5 time gold glove winner (1964-1968), and won the Lou Gehrig Memorial award in 1973.

Ron Santo’s #10 jersey was retired on September 28, 2003 and now hangs on a flag in the outfield. At least Ron Santo was able to see the Cubs retire #10.

Ron Santo was always a Cub and was the play-by-play announcer on the radio (WGN 720) with his friend Pat Hughes. He died on what he loved to do.

Sadly, Ron Santo passed away almost a year from today. On December 3rd, 2010 Ron Santo lost his battle with diabetes and passed away in Scottsdale, Arizona. He’s be missed by most and will always be in people’s memories.

Welcome to Cooperstown, Ron Santo! I know you’ll looking down with joy. RON SANTO!!!!

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now we just need to see if Harold Baines gets in.