IST: Cubs AT Marlins

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Well I wouldn't gauge much on a tank job team.
Marlins are so bad, theyd make some AAA teams look like playoff contenders...lol..

Good to see the Cubs just go out and get the job done , but .....

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well, that wasn't my point. But since you brought it up, isn't a sweep, two shutouts, and outscoring the opponent 17-2 exactly what you would expect from a serious playoff contender against a "tank job"?

You read too much into it.

They have to beat good teams also.

Q and Hamels are hot right now. Darvish is effective. Hendricks is not. Not sure when Lester returns.

So sweeping a team they should is fine. The off day removes Cuckwood and we go with Hendricks in another warm state of AZ.
DB's are 9-9 and should be a good test of where they are at right now as a team.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Also, on Milwaukee's "hot start":

12-7
99 Runs, 101 Runs Allowed (-2 Run Differential)
Pythagorean W-L: 9-10

Cubs
8-9
103 Runs, 85 Runs Allowed (+18 Run Differential)
Pythagorean W-L: 10-7

I think this will play up as the season progresses. Milwaukee has played over their talent for a while now and that reflects well on them. That is why you toss run diff out the window with them.

Cubs were beating themselves with the pen. Now that has passed they are righting the ship.

Milwaukee has shown that they are better than STL. in head to head. So they are still the team to beat right now.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I think this will play up as the season progresses. Milwaukee has played over their talent for a while now and that reflects well on them. That is why you toss run diff out the window with them.

This is just wrong. You can outplay your run differential for a while, but not forever. Ask the "clutch" 2016 Rangers.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Marlins are so bad, theyd make some AAA teams look like playoff contenders...lol..

Good to see the Cubs just go out and get the job done , but .....
The marlins aren't good but they aren't *that* bad. They just have no offense. Their 48 runs is second worst in baseball but their 97 runs against isn't really that bad. I mean it's not "good" but league average is 4.6 runs a game and they are giving up 5.11. You got teams like washington at 5.31, Boston at 6.26....etc.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is just wrong. You can outplay your run differential for a while, but not forever. Ask the "clutch" 2016 Rangers.

Brewers are 12-7 -2
Padres: 11-8 -12
Mets: 10-8 -10
Yankees 8-9 +20
Indians: 11-7 +2

It is still too early to judge is all this is saying to me. Getting blown out 11-2 on your shitty #5 amounts to 1 loss and -9. Then you win 5 1 run games.

You end up -4 runs diff and a 5-1 record.

A full season will make this stat more accurate. But 20 games in 1 blow out skews the numbers pretty hard.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The marlins aren't good but they aren't *that* bad. They just have no offense. Their 48 runs is second worst in baseball but their 97 runs against isn't really that bad. I mean it's not "good" but league average is 4.6 runs a game and they are giving up 5.11. You got teams like washington at 5.31, Boston at 6.26....etc.

Their ball park suppresses runs. Again I wouldn't give those scrubs much due. That team is intended to suck by ownership.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Their ball park suppresses runs. Again I wouldn't give those scrubs much due. That team is intended to suck by ownership.
Feel like you're missing my point. I'm not saying they are a good team. I'm refuting chibears saying they are essentially a AAA team. There's more talent than that on the roster. Obviously there's huge holes but they aren't even the worst team in the league.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Feel like you're missing my point. I'm not saying they are a good team. I'm refuting chibears saying they are essentially a AAA team. There's more talent than that on the roster. Obviously there's huge holes but they aren't even the worst team in the league.

It is hard to say that honestly. I want to agree with you but this team is plain bad.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
For what it worth, I was being humorous

Though I wouldn't bet against a team of AAA top prospects beating the Marlins..?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
For what it worth, I was being humorous

Though I wouldn't bet against a team of AAA top prospects beating the Marlins..?
Regardless of you being humorous or not I don't think it's right to suggest stuff like this because there is an ENORMOUS gap between MLB competition and AAA competition. Schwarber is a career .227/.336/.465 hitter in the majors and a .337/.432/.663 hitter at AAA. While I'm not trying to be nitpicky here I just think people throw around this sort of talk really willy nilly and then don't understand why a player like Schwarber takes awhile to develop in the majors. In AAA you might face a MLB caliber pitcher once a week. In the majors you get one every night and guys who'd still be pretty good in AAA are coming at you out of the bullpen too. Likewise, as a pitcher you may see 2-3 good hitters in any given AAA line up. But even bad hitters on MLB teams would be good AAA hitters.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Regardless of you being humorous or not I don't think it's right to suggest stuff like this because there is an ENORMOUS gap between MLB competition and AAA competition. Schwarber is a career .227/.336/.465 hitter in the majors and a .337/.432/.663 hitter at AAA. While I'm not trying to be nitpicky here I just think people throw around this sort of talk really willy nilly and then don't understand why a player like Schwarber takes awhile to develop in the majors. In AAA you might face a MLB caliber pitcher once a week. In the majors you get one every night and guys who'd still be pretty good in AAA are coming at you out of the bullpen too. Likewise, as a pitcher you may see 2-3 good hitters in any given AAA line up. But even bad hitters on MLB teams would be good AAA hitters.
Wow...lol

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This forum....wtf. A week ago half the people here had the Cubs dead and buried as the dreaded 27 Yankees clone, Milwaukee was running away and hiding. Now they have to earn "style" points because they can win only 3 from the lowly Marlins....oh wait, they only played three. The very same Marlins that won 2 of 4 last year and had the Whiner family members going off on them for that. It's the annoying windsock fans that are keeping people from stopping by here as much.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This forum....wtf. A week ago half the people here had the Cubs dead and buried as the dreaded 27 Yankees clone, Milwaukee was running away and hiding. Now they have to earn "style" points because they can win only 3 from the lowly Marlins....oh wait, they only played three. The very same Marlins that won 2 of 4 last year and had the Whiner family members going off on them for that. It's the annoying windsock fans that are keeping people from stopping by here as much.

But, but Schwarber's weight...?

I'm thinking Jim "knee jerk" Johnson will show up when there are 2 consecutive losses to proclaim disaster. Ever notice him being around when the team is winning?