Bears draft target: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (CB/S)

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
IF (big if) he is still available at pick #87, I don't think The Bears can pass on this guy. He played free safety in 2017 and mostly slot corner and some safety in 2018. He plays a very physical, reactive, downhill style. He has more of a zone feel to his play. He played a lot of off coverage at Florida, which allowed him to use his outstanding timing and reaction to play the ball. He has good size at over 200 lbs at 5-10, and plays tough in the box and is good against the run. Florida also had him rush way out from the slot, and he had enough short area burst to get to the QB and disrupt the play, even on quick strike college plays.

Why I like him so much: he perfectly replaces the long term value lost in Bryce Callahan. Buster Skrine is not the long term answer at slot corner, and nowadays a lot of NFL teams play withe three corners on the field often. The Bears project to be ahead a lot in games next year, so our slot corner will probably see more field than the average NFL slot (teams will pass more playing from behind). Really good NFL offenses know how to put slot corners in bad positions. I don't think Gardner-Johnson is the stickiest shutdown coverage type player, but I think he is smart and understands techniques and defensive schemes and how to anticipate plays. You see him on the field communicating changes to the coverage in response to things he sees in personnel and alignment, and this bodes well in the NFL. I think many defensive backs get by on physical talent in college, but the NFL challenges them between the ears when effectiveness depends on knowing how OC's think and when and why a QB might change a play and what to do about it. Gardner-Johnson seems like he likes trying to crack the code and not get outsmarted by deceptive play calls.

Also, most of the other corners that have mid-round grades project to be boundary corners in the NFL, where I think McManus and Tolliver provide us with solid depth currently.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I’d be real surprised if he fell to #87. He would be a solid pick if available, but likely gone in rd 2.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I don't trust anyone with the name Chauncey....side note I don't trust anyone named Pierre either

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
IF (big if) he is still available at pick #87, I don't think The Bears can pass on this guy. He played free safety in 2017 and mostly slot corner and some safety in 2018. He plays a very physical, reactive, downhill style. He has more of a zone feel to his play. He played a lot of off coverage at Florida, which allowed him to use his outstanding timing and reaction to play the ball. He has good size at over 200 lbs at 5-10, and plays tough in the box and is good against the run. Florida also had him rush way out from the slot, and he had enough short area burst to get to the QB and disrupt the play, even on quick strike college plays.

Why I like him so much: he perfectly replaces the long term value lost in Bryce Callahan. Buster Skrine is not the long term answer at slot corner, and nowadays a lot of NFL teams play withe three corners on the field often. The Bears project to be ahead a lot in games next year, so our slot corner will probably see more field than the average NFL slot (teams will pass more playing from behind). Really good NFL offenses know how to put slot corners in bad positions. I don't think Gardner-Johnson is the stickiest shutdown coverage type player, but I think he is smart and understands techniques and defensive schemes and how to anticipate plays. You see him on the field communicating changes to the coverage in response to things he sees in personnel and alignment, and this bodes well in the NFL. I think many defensive backs get by on physical talent in college, but the NFL challenges them between the ears when effectiveness depends on knowing how OC's think and when and why a QB might change a play and what to do about it. Gardner-Johnson seems like he likes trying to crack the code and not get outsmarted by deceptive play calls.

Also, most of the other corners that have mid-round grades project to be boundary corners in the NFL, where I think McManus and Tolliver provide us with solid depth currently.

Would be a great pickup if there, however do you think he can flip to the outside? I am more worried about who replaces Prince in a year or 2 then who replaces Skrine in the slot. I feel like we need to address the lack of outside CB depth after Prince/Fuller. And roll with Skrine/McMannis at the slot this year.

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
Would be a great pickup if there, however do you think he can flip to the outside? I am more worried about who replaces Prince in a year or 2 then who replaces Skrine in the slot. I feel like we need to address the lack of outside CB depth after Prince/Fuller. And roll with Skrine/McMannis at the slot this year.
I agree for the long term outlook, but, The Bears, thinking they are a franchise that has a chance to win now, have to prioritize performance on the field this year over next. Anything can happen between now and a year from now, and you can't squander an opportunity to make a run in this league. Having said that, I don't hate it if we take best corner available if Gardner-Johnson is gone. I think there will be viable starting corner talent left at The Bears's #87 pick, but probably not after that.

CNiel36

Liked Posts:
I agree for the long term outlook, but, The Bears, thinking they are a franchise that has a chance to win now, have to prioritize performance on the field this year over next. Anything can happen between now and a year from now, and you can't squander an opportunity to make a run in this league. Having said that, I don't hate it if we take best corner available if Gardner-Johnson is gone. I think there will be viable starting corner talent left at The Bears's #87 pick, but probably not after that.

We are in agreement if there is a EDGE/CB talent there at 87 we have to go that way.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't trust anyone with the name Chauncey....side note I don't trust anyone named Pierre either
HyTxe2RFMB-4.png

mammalspod

Liked Posts:
Update: with only one corner chosen in the first round, I now think it is likely that CGJ falls to us in the third. Watch his tape! He is thoroughly Bear-like.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
DB would be a wise investment. Haha isn’t going to come back at a reasonable price if he is any good and if he sucks we won’t want him back. And prince will likely get cut to save around 7 mil in cap. This could be a really good investment given he can play both positions