Tom Thayer Responds to Fox's Comment

D.J. Moore

The Member
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
https://670thescore.radio.com/bernstein-shut-up-john-fox-bears-criticism-tom-thayer-response

"John, you're the one that got rid of Robbie Gould," Thayer said. "You're sitting here harping about the kicking situation being in flux because you got rid of him. I know he missed a couple kicks at the time, but he was one of the better kickers in one of the most difficult stadiums to kick in, and then he's proved that point going out to San Francisco."

screen-shot-2017-04-25-at-10-18-24-am.png

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fox criticizes the Bears for letting him fuck up the kicker position.

Good for Thayer for speaking up.

With Fox 5-11, without Fox 12-4, how the hell does that qualify him to be an expert?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Not that there is anything wrong with it

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace obviously had a hand in this but no way he dumps Robbie if Fox wants to keep him. Fox probably panicked because he thinks FGs are the best way to win games.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol as if Pace had nothing to do with it. Gould been gone 3 years. Pace obviously signed off on cutting him and has had 3 years to fill the position and failed.

Think it is a reasonable expectation that a GM should be able to find a replacement in 3 years.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When camp started in 2018 I said it was stupid to only bring in one kicker, yes they were going to keep Parkey because of the contract, but more than one kicker in camp is SOP in the NFL. If for no other reason you learn about other kickers in case of injury.

The Bears current K problem is on Pace but Fox was part of the process that started this mess. To go on ESPN and bitch about problem you had a hand in creating is beyond hypocrisy, that was Thayer's point, Bernstein's point and the point of this thread.

If a few years Pace starts bitching about the Bears kicking fuck ups, he would be even worse than Fox, I don't expect that to happen.

@remydat missed the point.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sounds like sour grapes from the mediasz, and Fox knowing what his new job entails.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sounds like sour grapes from the mediasz, and Fox knowing what his new job entails.

Most of the former players and coaches on the NFLN and ESPN go out of their way fawning over their former teams. I think Fox would have loved to see the Bears implode and go 4-12 under Nagy, "see, they should have kept me".

Under Fox the Bears weren't just a bad team they were a depressing team, reflecting the HC's personality, the opposite of what they are now. Even if the stronger schedule and a few injuries knock a couple wins off the record, the Bears will never become that moribund depressing team they were under Fox.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Most of the former players and coaches on the NFLN and ESPN go out of their way fawning over their former teams. I think Fox would have loved to see the Bears implode and go 4-12 under Nagy, "see, they should have kept me".

Under Fox the Bears weren't just a bad team they were a depressing team, reflecting the HC's personality, the opposite of what they are now. Even if the stronger schedule and a few injuries knock a couple wins off the record, the Bears will never become that moribund depressing team they were under Fox.

So, sour grapes all round then. I think what Fox said is similar to what many have been saying here. Sure, he had a hand in it. Sure, he did poorly while here. I don't know if he wants the Bears to fail. But is he wrong in saying this, "I think the kicking question is really big right now in Chicago, and I think that might be a problem for them in the season"?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, sour grapes all round then. I think what Fox said is similar to what many have been saying here. Sure, he had a hand in it. Sure, he did poorly while here. I don't know if he wants the Bears to fail. But is he wrong in saying this, "I think the kicking question is really big right now in Chicago, and I think that might be a problem for them in the season"?

No, he's absolutely right, but he had a hand in starting the problem so maybe don't talk about the dumpster fire you helped to start.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No, he's absolutely right, but he had a hand in starting the problem so maybe don't talk about the dumpster fire you helped to start.

It's his job now though. And he has created interest, albeit negative. People are talking.

As I said, sour grapes all round. Who cares what Fox says?

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's his job now though. And he has created interest, albeit negative. People are talking.

As I said, sour grapes all round. Who cares what Fox says?

Tom Thayer, Dan Bernstein, and me.

I'm sure ESPN loved it, like I said most former players and coaches go out of their way to avoid ripping their former teams. It seems Fox is not just a hypocrite, but kind of a dick.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

I'm sure ESPN loved it, like I said most former players and coaches go out of their way to avoid ripping their former teams. It seems Fox is not just a hypocrite, but kind of a dick.

Most former players, but not all. Greg Jennings is a recent one who comes to mind. Fox may be a dick. I'm not arguing that. I think it's all quite funny, and Thayer and Bernstein have points, but seem just as bitter as they accuse Fox of being.

I doubt not many, but 51 is dead on.

I'm not saying 51 is wrong. I'm having a conversation with him.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I do agree with your point, if Malcore wants to call it sour grapes whatever, I'm quoting you because you nailed it..."Under Fox the Bears weren't just a bad team they were a depressing team, reflecting the HC's personality"