Tom Thayer Responds to Fox's Comment

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Think the article is just pointing out that kicker is a huge question mark for this team which I think most here on CCS would agree. Of course, it being CCS, people seem to get all sensitive when anyone other than Bears fans state this as a concern.

As has been stated you completely missed the point of the thread. No one is arguing that kicker is not a concern or needs to get better. Absolutely no one.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I kind of agree with you on this one remy, if it's any consolation.

My take is Fox was likely being a bit of a dick in saying the Bears had the worst off season, and I don't think it was a correct assessment. Of course, his kicker comments are valid.

I find Thayer's and Bernstein's reactions to be over the top, and very whiny. And the thing is, Fox don't give a shit.

I find it all quite humorous to be honest.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
As has been stated you completely missed the point of the thread. No one is arguing that kicker is not a concern or needs to get better. Absolutely no one.

We weren't talking about the thread. We were talking about the article I linked and your response to it ie getting bent out of shape because it argued kicker may be a problem after a season where we lost on a missed kick at the end and after 8 kickers tried out, still haven't settled on one.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I kind of agree with you on this one remy, if it's any consolation.

My take is Fox was likely being a bit of a dick in saying the Bears had the worst off season, and I don't think it was a correct assessment. Of course, his kicker comments are valid.

I find Thayer's and Bernstein's reactions to be over the top, and very whiny. And the thing is, Fox don't give a shit.

I find it all quite humorous to be honest.

Yeah I am not sure what the big deal is. Fox is correct about the kicking situation. Fox probably is still smarting from how his Bears tenure unfolded. Both things can be true. It is also quite possible Fox ends up being right if our kicking situation remains shit. If kicker is truly the difference between us being a contender and us losing then I would certainly consider that the worst offseason.

I don't think we have had the worst offseason because I would like to think that we eventually find a competent kicker one way or another. That may end up with us trying to pick a kicker up at the trade deadline from a non-contending team.

But all those opinions are fair game at this point as too early to say for sure how this plays out.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Yeah I am not sure what the big deal is. Fox is correct about the kicking situation. Fox probably is still smarting from how his Bears tenure unfolded. Both things can be true. It is also quite possible Fox ends up being right if our kicking situation remains shit. If kicker is truly the difference between us being a contender and us losing then I would certainly consider that the worst offseason.

I don't think we have had the worst offseason because I would like to think that we eventually find a competent kicker one way or another. That may end up with us trying to pick a kicker up at the trade deadline from a non-contending team.

But all those opinions are fair game at this point as too early to say for sure how this plays out.

To be fair, the thread wasn't about whether Fox will be right or not. It was "outrage" at the nerve of Fox throwing Pace under the bus, when he had a hand in axing Gould. We always hate ex-Bears, except maybe Cutler. He seems more liked now than when he was with the Bears.

Again, I find this all quite funny, and Fox just doesn't care how upset Thayer is that Fox didn't talk much to the press as a coach, but does now that he is press.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I would say the reverse is true. I already acknowledged that I disagree with Fox but that his opinion is fair. Just like I already acknowledged that LaFleur may end up being a biggest weakness than kicker is to the Bears.

However, for some reason, people on CCS can't simply have good faith differences. No, they have to characterize those they disagree with as idiots, bullshit, etc. That is the truly odd thing about this. I am taking a fairly moderate stance but I suppose it is a function of the internet and the current polarization that being a moderate is looked upon as the issue. Not the extremists who think only their opinion has merit.

Yeah honestly the lafleur argument was ridiculous. Idk how someone was claiming NFL coordinators are less qualified to be head coaches than college kickers are to go pro. I assume they were trolling you. I just don’t know why you entertain the arguments so long.

On the other one I still think Fox was wrong in what he said simply because he had no reason to be saying it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We weren't talking about the thread. We were talking about the article I linked and your response to it ie getting bent out of shape because it argued kicker may be a problem after a season where we lost on a missed kick at the end and after 8 kickers tried out, still haven't settled on one.
I explained why the article may have been stupid. You may not understand this. Maybe or maybe not.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
There was too much homerism going on in this thread prior to my arrival. I balanced it out a bit.
I never knew falsehoods and bad analogies was the antimatter to homerism. But thanks, I will consider that you may be trying to counter homerism the next time you make an asinine argument.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To be fair, the thread wasn't about whether Fox will be right or not. It was "outrage" at the nerve of Fox throwing Pace under the bus, when he had a hand in axing Gould. We always hate ex-Bears, except maybe Cutler. He seems more liked now than when he was with the Bears.

Again, I find this all quite funny, and Fox just doesn't care how upset Thayer is that Fox didn't talk much to the press as a coach, but does now that he is press.

I guess I don't see it as throwing Pace under the bus as it is by definition Pace's job to fix. Let's say I get in a car accident and it was totally my fault. Would someone get outraged if I get upset that the mechanic fucked up the repair job? Of course not because it is the mechanic's job to fix my car regardless of the fact that the accident is my fault.

So I don't get it. Fox and Pace fucked up the kicking situation. At the end of the day, only one of those guys is responsible for fixing that mess and so I have no problem with Fox saying Pace has thus far not fixed the mess. The fact Fox was partly responsible for the mess is irrelevant to me as I don't care who is responsible for it. I care that the person paid millions to fix it hasn't done so yet because that is all that matter now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I explained why the article may have been stupid. You may not understand this. Maybe or maybe not.

Yeah and I am saying your explanation makes no sense. You tried to compare an article concerned about the kicking situation after our season ended on a missed kick with kicking causing the end of the world. Really odd to lament the stupidity of an article by providing an utterly stupid comparison. Not your finest work.

Yeah honestly the lafleur argument was ridiculous. Idk how someone was claiming NFL coordinators are less qualified to be head coaches than college kickers are to go pro. I assume they were trolling you. I just don’t know why you entertain the arguments so long.

On the other one I still think Fox was wrong in what he said simply because he had no reason to be saying it.

You find out pretty quickly that Iueyedoc and Rory just love to troll me. I entertain it because it passes the time when sitting in front of a computer 12-16 hours a day.

As for Fox, I think part of it was to rile up Bears fans but I think part of it was in fact because kicker and losing Fangio could very well causes issues this season. There is enough uncertainty there for it to be a valid concern and I think Fox was smart enough to know it would get him attention.

In fact, Thayer and Co just gave Fox the formula for surviving on TV despite an otherwise boring personality by offering relatively benign criticisms of the Bears and sit back and watch people fly off the handle. Can't wait until Trubs has a bad game and Fox criticizes the Bears passing game, lol.

Last edited:

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
lol, remy, goal post shift. Throwing pace under the bus was sarcasm, and not even close to the point of my post.

My apologies, but I don't find discussion like this as fun as you do, so pass.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
lol, remy, goal post shift. Throwing pace under the bus was sarcasm, and not even close to the point of my post.

My apologies, but I don't find discussion like this as fun as you do, so pass.

I wasn't directing that at you. I assumed that was commenting about how the other posters saw it so was addressing them. I already saw you exchange with Numbers earlier in the thread which was more level headed than the rest.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never knew falsehoods and bad analogies was the antimatter to homerism. But thanks, I will consider that you may be trying to counter homerism the next time you make an asinine argument.

Not sure how anything I said was a falsehood. We have a fundamental difference in what qualifies as a good resume. That is a subjective opinion that due to your homerism you seem to think your view on it is the only right answer. Other posters have already commented on how silly your argument was which speaks to the subjective nature of it but you continue thinking anything you disagree with is a falsehood. Not sure what you are referring to regarding bad analogies.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remy you posted an article that stated the kicker may or may not affect our playoffs. I honestly don’t know what point you or the article is supposed to be making.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy you posted an article that stated the kicker may or may not affect our playoffs. I honestly don’t know what point you or the article is supposed to be making.

Thought it obvious that given Bears kicker was named as 7th most important player for the season, it was making the case that the Bears kicking situation is potentially one of the bigger stories of the season.

Not sure why the fact they acknowlege they are not omnipotent and thus could be wrong bothers you so.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thought it obvious that given Bears kicker was named as 7th most important player for the season, it was making the case that the Bears kicking situation is potentially one of the bigger stories of the season.

Not sure why the fact they acknowlege they are not omnipotent and thus could be wrong bothers you so.

I argued that their premise that the Bears kicking situation was going to affect their playoff chances was unknowable and the article provided no value other than the Bears want to get a better kicker.

And then you wanted to stress the only said “may”.

I said great the kicker may or may not affect the Bears. Which puts us back at the article not really having a point.

We all know players may or may not affect the team.

The wider ranging issue that the whole op was based on was Fox’s hypocrisy. Not the the Bears need s better kicker.

Also I am not sure why you felt the need to white night against the perceived homerism.

It’s like you need to be contrarian against something only you perceived and really had nothing to do with the point.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whether we had the worst offseason is unknowable so by your logic this entire thread adds no value. Yet here we are.

Fox is paid to analyze the NFL. Pace is paid to improve the Bears. Only one of the above really matters when it comes to the product on the field this year so all the whining about Fox is pointless. Yet here we are.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whether we had the worst offseason is unknowable so by your logic this entire thread adds no value. Yet here we are.

Fox is paid to analyze the NFL. Pace is paid to improve the Bears. Only one of the above really matters when it comes to the product on the field this year so all the whining about Fox is pointless. Yet here we are.

Yet here you are. Missing the point of the post.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Also I am not sure why you felt the need to white night against the perceived homerism.

It’s like you need to be contrarian against something only you perceived and really had nothing to do with the point.
Why does a fish need to swim or a bird fly?

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So if you and I spill milk and you are the only one with the mop, you are saying it is hypocritical for me to say, the milk is spilled and you should mop it up?

Thought this was a great analogy. Imagine two people next to each other, both with milk, and incredibly they both spill their milk at the same time. And imagine that, for some reason, one of the two people likes to drink beverages while holding a mop in his hand. And imagine the relief of the other person..."yeah, I just spilled all this milk, but so did this other guy, and HE'S the one with a mop in his hand...fuck this...I'm outta here..."