2015 cubs in season trades

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs just made their first trade of the summer, though small
but significant. .

@Cubs: The #Cubs today acquired minor league LHP Manny Rondon and international slot number four from the #Angels for catcher Rafael Lopez.

Im thinking that extra slot money for Eddy Martinez

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Im thinking that extra slot money for Eddy Martinez

Not really how it works. The cubs already went past their IFA slot money.... by like $4-5 mil. What the slot money does is essentially make some of the tax they have to pay for going over cheaper. I don't remember the exact figures but for the sake of argument let's say they have $4 mil limit. And let's say they add $1 mil in extra slot money. And let's say they end up spending $7 mil. What ends up happening is they end up being taxed at 100% on the $2 mil difference rather than the $3 mil.

That's not to say that Martinez isn't possible. I'd imagine they are trying to sign him. It's just that the slot money is more about marginal savings on tax though i suppose you could argue that then need to save that money to afford him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
To expand further, the slot they traded for is apparently only worth $149,700. Martinez is expected to command something like $11 mil.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not really how it works. The cubs already went past their IFA slot money.... by like $4-5 mil. What the slot money does is essentially make some of the tax they have to pay for going over cheaper. I don't remember the exact figures but for the sake of argument let's say they have $4 mil limit. And let's say they add $1 mil in extra slot money. And let's say they end up spending $7 mil. What ends up happening is they end up being taxed at 100% on the $2 mil difference rather than the $3 mil.

That's not to say that Martinez isn't possible. I'd imagine they are trying to sign him. It's just that the slot money is more about marginal savings on tax though i suppose you could argue that then need to save that money to afford him.
Basically was my train of thought. .

Thinking besides tax relief, it might also give them an option to increase offer to martinez...

chibears55

Liked Posts:
To expand further, the slot they traded for is apparently only worth $149,700. Martinez is expected to command something like $11 mil.
Ehhh.. didnt realize it was that small of amount

Not likely to be a move to help get martinez then..

I do like the pitcher they got.. 20 YO lefty, someone to watch for in next couple years..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ehhh.. didnt realize it was that small of amount

Not likely to be a move to help get martinez then..

I do like the pitcher they got.. 20 YO lefty, someone to watch for in next couple years..

Well I mean it's saving them $150k in tax if i'm not mistaken. Obviously not a crazy amount but then it's possible they aren't done adding slots. Lopez was DFA'd to clear room to for Roach I believe. So, they were going to likely lose him anyways. By no means an amazing deal but then Lopez is kind of 4A fodder at this point especially if Schwarber sticks at C.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs just announced the team has acquired LHP Clayton Richard. Richard will start Saturday's game. Donn Roach was optioned to Iowa.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: #Cubs just announced the team has acquired LHP Clayton Richard. Richard will start Saturday's game. Donn Roach was optioned to Iowa.

It was for cash I think. He had some clause that he had to be offered a spot on the Pirates and I guess they declined and the Cubs picked it up.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It was for cash I think. He had some clause that he had to be offered a spot on the Pirates and I guess they declined and the Cubs picked it up.
Yes for cash

It was announced during maddon press conference. .

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Before some of you go nuts and think this is their big SP move for rotation..
RELAX.. he only cost them money to get and is just depth right now for that 4/5 rotation spot..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs Acquire Lefty Clayton Richard from Pirates will start tomorrow.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/...ates-and-hell-start-tomorrow-against-marlins/

Richard, who cost the Cubs only cash consideration (Bruce Miles), had his best years in the big leagues with the Padres back when many members of the current Cubs front office were running the show there. The 31-year-old lefty hasn’t been in the big leagues since 2013 (shoulder issues took him out), but he was pitching reasonably well at AAA for the Pirates this year – 1.88 ERA over 10 starts and 62.0 innings, though just 30 strikeouts.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Oh my apologies. Didn't realize this was already posted in here.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
Is this guy any good? Can't lie, my heart sank when I read the notification from BleacherReport "Cubs reportedly acquire Clayton..." I thought it was fucking Kershaw lmao!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Worse or better than Badass?

Um... probably marginally better. Wada has been more of a 4A guy. Richard was at one time a some what legit back end guy but then again he's been hurt. I don't think he's a long term solution by any stretch. He's 31 so a rebound now isn't very likely but Bosio does magic so there is that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Makes sense. Jed was his GM for a few years. So there is a familiarity. Not against it.

Now it is not about the tax. Just going over by 5% will put it at 100% tax. They are trying to get from 2 year of penalties to 1.

Chicago Cubs $3,230,700 max is 150% of this. They can take on a max of 1,618,500 more cap space.

Since there is no draft, the only importance of the “slot values” is for trading. Teams are allowed to trade for up to an additional 50 percent of their original bonus pool. So a team that starts with a $2 million bonus pool is allowed to obtain an additional $1 million in pool money. However, teams can’t simply trade for $1 million or any other amount in pool space—they have to acquire the specific slot values from another team.

3:12pm: Chicago will receive the 120th slot, which carries $149,700 in spending capacity, Jesse Sanchez of MLB.com tweets.

I'm expecting them to reach max cap so expect a flurry of trades soon. They are only 10% of max.

The rules:

The CBA lays out penalties for teams that exceed their allotted bonus pool amounts:

0-5% overage: MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate.
5-10% overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $500,000 during the following international signing period.
10-15% overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following international signing period.
15%+ overage: (1) MLB taxes the overage at a 100% rate. (2) The offending club loses the right to sign any player to a bonus exceeding $300,000 during the following two international signing periods.

These penalties have not stopped clubs from spending well over their allotted pools amounts. This practice really took off during the 2014-15 signing period, with the New York Yankees as the biggest culprit. Dustin Palmateer authored a post entitled, "The Yankees and the Toothless International Spending Limits," at Baseball Prospectus that is a thorough examination of the current system and well worth reading. Palmateer shares the tidbit that as of December 4, 2014 (about halfway through the 2015-15 signing period), the Rays overspent their pool by 35%, the Red Sox by 111%, the Angels by 248%, and the Yankees by 610%. It will be interesting to see how many clubs employ such a strategy this time around.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Chicago Cubs $3,230,700 max is 150% of this. They can take on a max of 1,618,500 more cap space.

Cubs already dropped 2.5 m on Sierra, 2 m on peralza, 2 on Ademan, 1.25 m on Amaya, 1 m on Martinez and 600k on yunior perez. that's $9.35 mil and I believe they also signed a korean 1B today for around $1 mil. They are well over their pool even with slots added. Just with the first group of guys they are almost double the 150% over their $3.2 mil bonus pool. So unless there is something I'm missing here they will be sitting out the next two IFA periods to an extent. Obviously they can spend up to I believe $300k on guys.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs already dropped 2.5 m on Sierra, 2 m on peralza, 2 on Ademan, 1.25 m on Amaya, 1 m on Martinez and 600k on yunior perez. that's $9.35 mil and I believe they also signed a korean 1B today for around $1 mil. They are well over their pool even with slots added. Just with the first group of guys they are almost double the 150% over their $3.2 mil bonus pool. So unless there is something I'm missing here they will be sitting out the next two IFA periods to an extent. Obviously they can spend up to I believe $300k on guys.

The max they can spend with taking 1 year of penalties is 5,576,580. So if they go over that they might as well just blow it up like the yanks did. No point in trying to take more slot cash.