2015 cubs in season trades

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
I think Baez won't be called up until at least the roster expands on September 1st. They want to make sure he gets the at bats in and that he is producing.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think Baez won't be called up until at least the roster expands on September 1st. They want to make sure he gets the at bats in and that he is producing.
He will be called up earlier than that. He needs to be a part of the playoff chase just like the other guys. They need another stick. He is very possibly it.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
First of all, my post had nothing to do with the Sox. Second, I have criticized the Sox about their inability to improve the roster on the Sox board.

Lastly, take a look at the trade activity around the league. Every team in contention, and a few like the Rangers who are not, have made impactful moves. The Cubs had enough talent and depth to acquire Price, Upton, Kimbrel and other talented marquee players. They chose not to move on them because they're "committed to the farm system." This is a small market mentality, and it won't work because there are too many variables working against you.

Wrong on so many levels. A small market team would trade high end prospects for a rental like Price because they'll A) Not be able to afford his $200M new deal in FA and B) They won't be able to pay their prospects when they are up to receive FA deals in the majors.

The plan always has been sustained success with playoff caliber teams for upwards of a decade. If you have a team that makes the playoffs 7 times in 10 years, the odds are one of those years you'll punch through.

Trading valuable high end prospects for a one year rental like David Price deviates from the plan of sustained playoff-caliber success -- which lowers your odds of winning. It would have been a terrible idea to trade for Price unless we had him agree to an extension, which would never happen.

willycat

Liked Posts:
Thinking they will bring him up in August because he has to be on the 25 man roster by 8/31 in order to be eligible for the playoffs and World Series.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Rumors still out there within the last 24 hours that the Cubs are still in the Utley chase (ba-dum-ching!)

What will they give up? I saw the names Castro or Coghlan. In this particular case, I hope not.

Utley is out of Phils lineup Sunday, so speculation is that a deal may be close. Six teams involved - who's going to pull the trigger? I think a few other teams may be motivated to overpay. Cubs would not be one of those. (hopefully, anyway)

I would think adding Utley for a stretch run could be a real nice addition - let's not forget there are six weeks to go. But he will veto a trade unless he feels he'll be playing a lot in 2016. I don't see how the Cubs could promise that - but who knows?

He's a quality, experienced player who would be a good addition.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
Rumors still out there within the last 24 hours that the Cubs are still in the Utley chase (ba-dum-ching!)

What will they give up? I saw the names Castro or Coghlan. In this particular case, I hope not.

Utley is out of Phils lineup Sunday, so speculation is that a deal may be close. Six teams involved - who's going to pull the trigger? I think a few other teams may be motivated to overpay. Cubs would not be one of those. (hopefully, anyway)

I would think adding Utley for a stretch run could be a real nice addition - let's not forget there are six weeks to go. But he will veto a trade unless he feels he'll be playing a lot in 2016. I don't see how the Cubs could promise that - but who knows?

He's a quality, experienced player who would be a good addition.
Experience yes but I don't think he's a upgrade over Goghlan or Castro, looking at their numbers. Utley is not the same player he was 5 or 6 years ago.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed. Stay the course....it's gotten them this far, so just ride it out and see what happens. Besides, Utley hasn't done much of anything for four or five years.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Experience yes but I don't think he's a upgrade over Goghlan or Castro, looking at their numbers. Utley is not the same player he was 5 or 6 years ago.

Utley is an upgrade over Castro, and that is not even a debate. But is a short time with Utley worth giving up a much younger player?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Utley is an upgrade over Castro, and that is not even a debate. But is a short time with Utley worth giving up a much younger player?

He has hit just as bad as Castro. His glove is not the same. Also, the Cubs are platooning Castro and Coughlan. They are better than Chase Utley.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Maybe we could trade you for a bag of balls from the Phillies' forum.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Utley is definitely an upgrade over Castro on so many levels, it isn't even funny.

If the Cubs could trade Castro for Utley and get out from underneath his contract, it is then a no-brainer.

People are pointing to Utley's numbers for just this year in an injury riddled season. He has a 65 BB, 100 SO's, .281 AVG, and .366 OBP for his career. Not to mention that he has been in playoff runs where Castro hasn't.

The Cubs have to decide is do you trade for him now, or use a LaStella-Castro platoon, or LaStella-Baez platoon and just stay the course?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Utley is definitely an upgrade over Castro on so many levels, it isn't even funny.

If the Cubs could trade Castro for Utley and get out from underneath his contract, it is then a no-brainer.

People are pointing to Utley's numbers for just this year in an injury riddled season. He has a 65 BB, 100 SO's, .281 AVG, and .366 OBP for his career. Not to mention that he has been in playoff runs where Castro hasn't.

The Cubs have to decide is do you trade for him now, or use a LaStella-Castro platoon, or LaStella-Baez platoon and just stay the course?
Posting Utley's career numbers makes little sense. He isn't hitting .281 this season and he doesn't have the range. The Cubs already have players on the team who have been in the playoffs... Lester and Ross for starters. Trading Castro for Utley is a loser trade, IMHO. Castro's contract isn't an albatross. Sure they could pull the trigger. They traded LeMahieu away, too. Castro should be saved for an off season trade for an arm.

willycat

Liked Posts:
No they are not, S. Castro is still not able to focus, as we all saw again the last two games and Coughlan is shaky at best. I would take a chance on Utley but only if it's for a single A prospect. Otherwise give Baez and LaStella a shot.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
No they are not, S. Castro is still not able to focus, as we all saw again the last two games and Coughlan is shaky at best. I would take a chance on Utley but only if it's for a single A prospect. Otherwise give Baez and LaStella a shot.

Coughlan bat is way better then Utley's bat now. Utley has hit like Castro this year. People are seeing a name and not the player now.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I find it hard to believe that people are using a players lifetime numbers the weigh trade value on an older player...right now with Russell, Castro, Coghlan, LaStella and in a few days Baez...the Cubs already have a log jam at middle infield. Stick with the plan...it hasn't gone wrong yet.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Kind of wish the cubs would have found a way to acquire Jackie Bradley Jr. as I'd hoped previously. In the second half he's now hitting .309/.400/.636 over 65 PAs and he obviously brings gold glove caliber defense out in CF. Oh well... can't win them all I suppose.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kind of wish the cubs would have found a way to acquire Jackie Bradley Jr. as I'd hoped previously. In the second half he's now hitting .309/.400/.636 over 65 PAs and he obviously brings gold glove caliber defense out in CF. Oh well... can't win them all I suppose.

I wanted Nelson Cruz two years ago. Its happens. lol