*2018-2019 Offseason Discussion Thread*

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
We are putting together a very nice pen. Like the Herrera signing a lot especially paired with the Colome trade.

I keep forgetting we have Zack Burdi coming back from TJ surgery too. Plus Ian Hamilton looked good at the end of the year. It's definitely much much better than last year. The key is can Nate Jones stay healthy.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Idk if we are being used for negotiating a bigger deal with philly or we are legit contenders for machado.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
So who do we believe here? Nightengale/Passan or Levine?

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
So who do we believe here? Nightengale/Passan or Levine?

I suppose we need to look at whom saying 8 years benefits the most. Machado probably? So are his people feeding misinformation to try and get someone to bid higher? Guess we'll see whenever Manny decides. He just needs to decide already.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
First this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">hear that the rumor of a chisox 175M offer for 7 years for manny machado is not correct. am told it is "way off," though not sure exactly how off. I'd say offer has to be higher and almost surely begins with a 2.</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1085647235516264448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

then this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dan Lozano of MVP Sports Group, the agent for Manny Machado, released the following statement regarding recent reports: <a href="https://t.co/MmKy9doaFz">pic.twitter.com/MmKy9doaFz</a></p>— Mark Feinsand (@Feinsand) <a href="https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1085655770857799680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 16, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wtf is going on?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The agent is upset at the offers and decided to throw a couple of reporters under the bus in the process of trying to drum up more interest for his client.

How would intimating that the offer is much higher (or much lower, but of course no agent would do that) than it actually is drum up interest?

If anything it would make teams less interested in offering.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
How would intimating that the offer is much higher (or much lower, but of course no agent would do that) than it actually is drum up interest?

If anything it would make teams less interested in offering.

Having that offer leak brings in more interest if it's low. From all reports headed into this offseason, Machado was potentially as high as $35+million a year. If they are only getting $25 and for only seven, other teams might have that more easily in their budget.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
I don't know who leaked that info to Buster, Bruce, and Bob, but someone did a doosy on them. Levine is being destroyed on Twitter as he's trying to double and triple down on it still.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don’t think white Sox would bother to even be in the sweep stakes if they weren’t willing to offer at least 30 mil a year.

I don’t think they want a situation of being crazy over bid like they were when they were going after hunter years ago

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Having that offer leak brings in more interest if it's low. From all reports headed into this offseason, Machado was potentially as high as $35+million a year. If they are only getting $25 and for only seven, other teams might have that more easily in their budget.

So then why would the agent be upset by it? It's low, as you said.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
To show that he'd be for teams privacy

That's a totally different point, actually close to the opposite of what you saying before.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Spring training is right around the corner. It’s kind of weird seeing the two big dogs not signed up yet. If you ask me they aren’t getting the $$$ everyone was thinking