2018 MLB Draft

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
So recapping... think the last 2 picks were feel good story things. I'm not sure they are legitimate prospects. I can't find shit about Steiner other than his facebook page. Gibis is kind of interesting because he's apparently friends with 36th round pick Jacob Campbell who might be a tough sign. I know the cubs gave him some sort of courage award as well. So, it sorta feels like this is a PR type pick but maybe helps them with Campbell who's a pretty good prospect(154 mlb.com) and committed to U of I.

The draft in my eyes is really about 3 players. Brennen Davis is probably the highest ceiling guy. If he irons out his hit tool he's going to be a monster. You're talking potential 60 power on a 60-70 grade runner in CF. Obviously Nico Hoerner will be a big deal as the #1 pick. I'm not sure he has huge upside. Unless he finds some power he looks like more of a Zobrist type. And I don't mean the Zobrist who'd already broken out. I mean the multi position great make up guy he was before he became a star. But those have value and if he finds power then ya know.... he's Zobrist. Cole Roederer is the last big guy. You're potentially talking a 20/20 CFer with good hit tool. He's supposedly pretty polished for a HS player.

That's the "cream of the crop" as it were. Kohl Franklin stands out as someone who is interesting. I don't know much about him scouting wise but the cubs don't usually take HS pitching early. Since theo came over the only HS pitchers taken in the first 10 rounds have been Paul Blackburn(56 overall), Duane Underwood(67 overall), Ryan McNeil(101), Anthony Prieto(164), Sands(109), Steele(139), Cease(169), Bryan Hudson(82), and Jeremiah Estrada(195). Not entirely sure where mcNeil and Prieto were in draft ranking circles but the rest were all top 200 picks. Franklin isn't and they used the 188 pick on him. Typically 6-10 round picks are used to save slot money not use on HS players.

Mitchell Parker and Tyler Ras if they sign are interesting. I *think* cubs have a good shot at signing them. Parker fell farther than expected but he seemed keen on going pro. They could offer him like 200k over the $125k you can give 11th+ round picks without counting and that'd basically be 5th round money. Ras seemed enchanted on instagram by his wrigley visit. Adding those two would bolster a kinda lack luster 1-10. As I said a bunch earlier it felt like they were saving money with some of those picks. It's not so much that they were bad picks but they were guys who were expected a bit later. So, I was hoping they'd grab some guys liek Parker/Ras seem to be.

As for the rest of the guys, most of the pitching has a definite reliever look. I think that sort of works because the cubs are pretty set from A-AAA with starters. They drafted high k/9 low command guys by in large. That's kind of interesting though because they were college arms. I think they may try the same sort thing they did with Rollie Lacy and Michael rucker which is start some of these guys in the bullpen and if they show enough command give them a chance to start. They have interesting stuff but need to refine their command a bunch.

In terms of bats, the cubs clearly felt they had a big need for CF type OFers who have speed and high contact. they drafted like a dozen guys that fit that mold. I don't hate the approach because you're pretty likely to find someone who'll work doing that and if you find "too many" guys can play RF/LF.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
All cubs picks...

Like that the last 2 are from chicago
dbc480e7106f7228a788a2e0ef8ebcd0.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
James Yodice

@JamesDYodice
2h2 hours ago
More
Interesting development. Just talked to Mitchell Parker. Obviously draft didn't go as he would have liked. Asked him about his intentions ... what he said surprised me. Said he has given a verbal commitment to San Jacinto JC in Texas and will go there if Cubs don't sign him.

That's interesting because it basically indicate he wants to go pro(would only have to wait til next year to get drafted if he goes to JC). It's just a question of money whether or not he signs and given the cubs took him and know his desire to go pro(least they should as the internet does), one would think they have a pretty good idea he was signable.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Beck is there a report on parker

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Beck is there a report on parker

Mitchell Parker is a 2018 LHP/OF with a 6-3 195 lb. frame from Albuquerque, NM who attends Manzano HS. Nice athletic body with plenty of physical projection. Deep arm action in back with a loose and low effort on line delivery coming through, high 3/4's arm slot with good extension out front. Fastball topped out at 92 mph, mostly straight, will cut his fastball at 86 mph and get it off barrels effectively, can work his fastball to both sides of the plate. Tight spin on his fastball with good angle coming across the plate, sharp biting action. Did not observe a change up. Very interesting southpaw with a strong arm and the ability to spin the ball. Verbal commitment to New Mexico.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mitchell Parker is a 2018 LHP/OF with a 6-3 195 lb. frame from Albuquerque, NM who attends Manzano HS. Nice athletic body with plenty of physical projection. Deep arm action in back with a loose and low effort on line delivery coming through, high 3/4's arm slot with good extension out front. Fastball topped out at 92 mph, mostly straight, will cut his fastball at 86 mph and get it off barrels effectively, can work his fastball to both sides of the plate. Tight spin on his fastball with good angle coming across the plate, sharp biting action. Did not observe a change up. Very interesting southpaw with a strong arm and the ability to spin the ball. Verbal commitment to New Mexico.

Thanks, buddy. Looks like he has room to grow on that frame

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
In terms of flat out grades on his pitches no. I don't have a baseball america membership(they rated him 281) and he was outside the top 200 for mlb.com. If I had to wager it sounds like his arm would sit at a 55 fastball right now but with projection to possibly get better. Might only be a 50 because it sounds like it's sorta straight and lacks movement. Breaking stuff it's tough to tell but the read i get on that is basically he has what appears to be 2 potential good pitches(FB and some form of breaking pitch probably a curve) but his other stuff is lacking. That's pretty typical for HS pitchers as if you have a FB that's good you can dominate HS hitting. Most HS pitchers are only 2 pitch guys.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Savermetrics

@Savermetrics
7m7 minutes ago
More
#Cubs Jason McLeod has reportedly known 12th round #MLBDraft pick RHP Cam Sanders since he was 1—McLeod used to babysit for him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Miguel Pabon ⚾
��

@ _Miguelon2
Follow Follow @ _Miguelon2
More
A strong year for us Puerto Rican players but with a lot of sacrifice and effort today I can say that I can fulfill my dream. Now the good begins. # EverybodyIn # Cubs ����⚾️Translate Tweet

That's google translated so if it sounds a bit off it's not him it's google. Pabon was the cubs 34th round pick but he was a HS player from puerto rico so it wasn't a lock that he'd sign. Good to see they bringing him in. Last year they brought in Luis Vazquez who is kind of similar guy from PR and I've heard he's one of the more interesting guys in extended spring training.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Savermetrics

@Savermetrics
21m21 minutes ago
More
Via Instagram, #Cubs 38th round #MLBDraft pick OF Chase Hanson will not sign. Hanson will pursue his degree and play baseball at UNLV.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Savermetrics

@Savermetrics
14m14 minutes ago
More
10th round #MLBDraft pick 3B Luke Reynolds reportedly agreed to terms with the #Cubs and will sign for $125,000. Slot for 308th overall is $137,600.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Savermetrics

@Savermetrics
3m3 minutes ago
More
Per Mike Wilson, Tennessee baseball coach Tony Vitello said, "[28th round #MLBDraft pick LHP Mitchell Parker] has a decent offer (from the Chicago #Cubs)."

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I do not follow the prospects pre-draft at all, and not in the minors as much as a few years ago.

And certainly not nearly like many do.

Thanks, beckdawg and anyone else for the updates and info.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I do not follow the prospects pre-draft at all, and not in the minors as much as a few years ago.

And certainly not nearly like many do.

Thanks, beckdawg and anyone else for the updates and info.

No problem. If you got any questions feel free to ask. I'll try to give as much info as I can find.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
33 round pick should have gone to college

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
33 round pick should have gone to college

Has nothing to do with what round you're picked and everything to do with how much money you get. The difference between a 40th round pick max offer($125k post 10th round without costing you slot money) and the last pick in the 10th round which is the last with "slot value" is $11,800. The difference between that same 40th round pick and the last pick in the 5th round is roughly $175k. As you go up the chain, the last pick in the 4th is +$275k, 3rd is +400k, last comp ick is +500k. Just as an example, teams will often offer a guy $5k as a senior sign in the 10th round. That means they can pocket around $120k in slot money to use else where.

In other words, the difference between picks after the first 2-3 rounds really is minor. Some players will surely break out but that has more to do about finding the guys who meet their physical projection. Jake Slaughter as an example was drafted in 2016 36th round by the cubs. After 2 years at LSU they drafted him in the 18th round. He's not *that* much better now than then he's just more certain physically. That plus him signing was clearly easier.