2019/20 Roster and Camp Battles

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Seems the hawks have holes burning in their pockets with their cap space. If they do go out and get Panarin back, where would he play? I know its slim to none to get him back, since there will be teams offering 10,11 maybe 12 million and his agent is a piece of shit.

Of course they are going to fill the cap before Cat gets his extension, so there will immediately be a problem.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seems the hawks have holes burning in their pockets with their cap space. If they do go out and get Panarin back, where would he play? I know its slim to none to get him back, since there will be teams offering 10,11 maybe 12 million and his agent is a piece of shit.

Of course they are going to fill the cap before Cat gets his extension, so there will immediately be a problem.

ummmm....he would play 2LW and reform one of the 5 best duo's the league has seen this decade. Kane and Panarin are incredibly suited to each others game.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I trust Lordy, and I do,

then Sikura is fighting in a highly contested 4RW slot, with high chance to lose and will be depth stashed in Rockford post injury, probably on a line with Quinneville, but I think he does get his look where I slotted him in camp.

And Joker stays with the big club this year...which has Seabs/Murphy splitting time in the press box as 7D, chatting with AA or Cagguila

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll reserve further thoughts until/if I get a chance to see some camp and pre-season.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
ummmm....he would play 2LW and reform one of the 5 best duo's the league has seen this decade. Kane and Panarin are incredibly suited to each others game.
With who in the middle? Get them two together, move Cat to the top line and leave with strome breaks up the other pair. 25 million dollar a year second line might not make it with the brass. I guess they just call it 1 and 1a.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
With who in the middle? Get them two together, move Cat to the top line and leave with strome breaks up the other pair. 25 million dollar a year second line might not make it with the brass. I guess they just call it 1 and 1a.
The hawks have always been for a long time now more about being a top 6 team, not a 1 line 2 line. If they just wanted to make sure all their best highest paid guys were on the 1 line, Kane would have been there already.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
edit:(hoping for Perry AND Johanson but comfortable with group, these are the realistic camp battles

(Cagguila vs Kubalik vs Kurashev vs Barratt)-Toews- Kane or (Perlini vs losers 1LW)

Cat-Strome-(Perlini vs Losers 1LW) or Kane

(1LWlosers vs Wedin/Dach)-(Kampf vs Dach vs AA)-(RW losers vs Saarela/Sikura)

(all losers vs Entwhistle/Martinson/Fortin) - Losers of 3C - (all losers vs Quinnville/Olafson/Knott)

1. Keith
2. Gus (PP) vs Joker vs Bovquist

3. DeHaan (PK) vs Matta vs Joker
4. Seabs (this second pair is based on Stans comments)

5. Murphy (PK)
6. Maata (PK) vs Dehaan vs Joker

7. Joker / Dahlstrom /Tuulala

Rockford Depth- Tuulola (2020-21-Bovquist, Mitchell, Vlasic, Beudin)

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get why Sikura is even in the conversation. He had zero goals playing with Toews on the top line.
Plus he's not physical at all. Useless.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't get why Sikura is even in the conversation. He had zero goals playing with Toews on the top line.
Yep. So far in JC's short career as a coach his propping up of Sikura was probably his most boneheaded coaching mistake--right up there with "Fresh Legs".

Possession mathemagic numbers be damned; possessing the puck means jack and shit if you can't actually do anything with it, and he can't. It's like watching Stalberg out there.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well...he is a year older and in the conversation. I don't think putting him in the 3rd and 4th line competitions at 3RW, 4LW, 4RW is erroneous or unwarranted.

I appreciate his ability to move offensively challenged turds 200 feet and get a chance and a change out of it. I think he has some of the best hockey sense and spacing on the team and is better at setting up others to score than scoring.

We will have to see how the roster shakes up and who is the best fit for them at 4RW. I know he breaks up a checking line, but this current Hawks team might have a checking line another year, but is on course with a free agent or two to be done with that and go the 4 scoring lines plus a Toews shut down line route.

At the very least you can bring him up after an injury or two and get smart hockey out of him. He is very tiny, and young...a full off-season of knowing what he needs to work on...lets just wait and see.

I forgot who Cagguila was since we drafted Smaltz and acquired him later, but watching the North Dakota championship tape I was reminded of the dominant line he emotionally led in college. Dude took on Buff at 170lbs says all you need, so that should end the top 6 experiment with Sikura, as well as I think Kubalik, Kurashev, Cat maturation. Hopefully top 6 sailed for him, but I'd like to take a look at unexpected pairings...such as

Enthistle-Kampf-Sikura

but Kubalik, Kurashev, Wedin, Saarela, Barrett, Olafson, Perlini, Knott, Entwhistle probably don't give him a great chance to make the team.

Some stronger lads are coming.

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, Sikura just got a "prove yourself" deal. if he's still a bigger offensive black hole than Kruger, he'll be Rockford's problem.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Caggiula Toews Kaner
Cat Strome Kubalik
Saad Dach AA
Q Mein Kampf Perlini

Keith Gus
Maata Murphy
Seabrookzival Joker/Dahlstrom

I think that is what we have as of now. Obviously we will be adding some guys; maybe a top 6 guy but depth definitely.

So he keeps spot 12? AA or Q or Saarela or Kurashev or Barrats or Wedin or Martinson or Entwhistle?

Probably Dach gets sent somewhere, but I like the framework here, one or two more wings for Q/AA, and AA playing one more year at 3C because Dach can't win faceoffs either(yet). Include Sikura in that 3RW/4LW battle too, or

Saad-AA-Perlini, gives you

Wedin-Kampf-Saarela unless Dach or Kurashev looks so good they force your hand, or Barrats wanted to jettison from Penn State now...I think he looks like his points should translate to value, but its a tough club to make right now even before free agency.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
There are just glimpses you see with him. Skating top speed, gets a pass behind him and finds a way to receive it and get it to the net. I just hoped his brother played better so we can get a twins line.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm going to predict Hawks sign Anders Lee at 6x7. He will slot in with the 19-88 line, and will be what we all thought Bigfoot aka Bickell was going to be.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to predict Hawks sign Anders Lee at 6x7. He will slot in with the 19-88 line, and will be what we all thought Bigfoot aka Bickell was going to be.

That would be nice

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are just glimpses you see with him. Skating top speed, gets a pass behind him and finds a way to receive it and get it to the net. I just hoped his brother played better so we can get a twins line.

No thanks.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In my opinion, in the eternal battle Blackhawks wage to find mini-me gold, they jettisoned Hinostroza in favor of Sikura if you want to know the part of it that makes me sickest.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't trust Stan to sign anyone to a contract longer than 3 years at this point

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We saw the same with Stalberg and that was a disaster. Skates of lightning, hands of stone, hockey sense of Karpotszev. Sikura may have good possession numbers but he does all of jack and squat with the puck once he has it.

He's on a 2-way, so let him prove he can do something with the puck for Rockford. If a slot opens up, let him prove he can do something with the puck in the bottom six before saddling out top-6 with him. Besides, if he's as good as you say with all of the youth in Rockford this coming year what with Bowman's Last Stand, he should rise to the top and thus be 1st to be called up.