Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The 2004 Cubs won 89 games, and you are comparing this team to that team? Besides, the 2004 team was plenty likable. They were 1-1/2 games up in the wild card on Sept. 24th, until the very final week of the season where they lost 7 out of 9 games and were eliminated from the playoffs. This year's team will be eliminated much earlier than that

The 2004 team was completely unlikable. Oddly, I thought this thread was going to be about the make up of the team though, which would be fairly apt. Great starting pitching, good line-up (this year is much better though) without a true leadoff guy, and an unreliable bullpen. I just figured it would talk about the team failing at the end because of the BP eventually collapsing.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
You know regarding Russell. It takes bravery to accept your short comings and still go out there regardless of the reaction.

He could have been a typical coward and hid in the closet. Not facing what he did and trying to proven to himself and others that he can change and evolve from previous mistakes in life.

I prefer to call them battle wounds. Most of us are tattered with the invisible ones.

What he is doing is actually pretty brave and shows strength of character.

Stop trying to belittle him ok. It shows a lack of the same.
I haven't followed everything he's said but from the most recent quote I saw it appears to me that he has taken no accountability for his abuse. None at all. IDGAF about "earning the respect of the fans." How about saying I was a dick to my wife, I need to grow up and be a man, I need to model being an equal partner? That might matter to me.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Cubs with best record in the National League right now. WInners of 12 of the last 14 games. Take that, 2004!

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I haven't followed everything he's said but from the most recent quote I saw it appears to me that he has taken no accountability for his abuse. None at all. IDGAF about "earning the respect of the fans." How about saying I was a dick to my wife, I need to grow up and be a man, I need to model being an equal partner? That might matter to me.

He doesn't need to apologize to the fans for a damn thing. He does need to apologize to the woman he abused.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
The 2004 team was fucking terrible to watch. It was a horribly constructed roster that Dusty probably had a big hand in assembling. It was a lineup of homers with no Marge to set the table; it was an awful OBP for the team. Runs were scored mainly via HR and good luck manufacturing runs. Advancing the runner usually meant "try to hit a HR every at bat."

Wave 'em Wendell was probably the worst 3B coach of all time; I remember he sent a gimpy Ramirez limping to home plate in a pivotal game vs the Cards in which he was tagged out by about 10 steps. Zambrano couldn't keep his emotions in check and blew several games-- he would get heated then throw uncooked spaghetti down the middle of the plate and then get more pissed when it was predictably crushed out into Waveland. I felt like it was groundhound day with Patterson at the plate. He would swing & miss at every fucking high fastball.

They call Dusty a player's coach because he's too nice to actually hold any of his players accountable for their fuckups. He pitched Prior & Wood until their arms fell off His favorite infield sub was an over the hill Ramon Martinez who offered very little besides the routine defensive plays. Opposing teams would run all over Barrett and Farnsworthless was only good for his fighting highlights (not surprised as he was in remedial math as a High School Senior, I went to his high school). I could go on and on about how much I hated watching that team play, since they were fundamentally challenged. They blew a 16 K game by Mark Prior in an important Sept game vs the fucking Reds and Aaron Harang (he was awful that year). Nomar's acquisition injected some hope but he turned out to be a dud as well. I remember driving up to Wrigley for the last series vs the Braves with a bunch of my Braces friends and they choked. Kerry gave up a 2 run HR against Mike Hampton and it basically ended the season.

Fuck that team.

Well said.