2019 Draft

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I can’t say I would be disappointed with that pick. I would rather bet on byram but at least turcotte wouldn’t be getting cute with the pick. I just don’t like that we probably won’t see him for a few seasons
They always try to get him to forgo his college commitment.

I mean, if Stans like " bruh, how would you like to play with your idol" idk if he says no.

Tkachuk did it last year. I think the lure of playing on the Hawks might be too much depending on if he's physically ready for the NHL.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Debrincat might be looking at 7+million. 40+ goals is nothing to sneeze at at would be on par with Toews/Kane's 1st deal (no cup, but more goals).

No one is taking Seabrook. His contract is the very definition of dead cap. Further he's still an NMC and his wife loves Chicago. He's not waiving. Our only reasonable out before 2024 is a compliance buyout.

This upcoming season is most likely Crawford's last. I doubt the're going to trade him especially because of his recent spat of injuries and that he also has clauses attached, and the goalie cupboards are either very unproven or not good. In all likleyhood they use him this year to help bring along the winner of the backup goalie sweepstakes--using him like they did Turco in 2011 or Huet in 2010.

AA is a good candidate to be moved...ditto with Saad. Neither have any clauses and both are making more than what they do on the ice. Strome could slide into either slot but I don't think he's inked early. Debrincat? Sure. Not Strome.

I also don't think with the D the 'hawks have right now they're going to be icing many more of the prospects. Keith & Seabs are locks. Murph is likely staying until a rookie supplants him. Gus is going to get the opportunity to prove he can do more than score. that leave 2 open slots and Joker has the inside track-unless Koekkoek or Dahlstrom supplant him. Plus, Boqvist & Beaudin can have their ELC's slide a year (mitchell's going back to college), and by not having them play next year it automatically protects them from being exposed in expansion.
If reports are true that Skinner is looking at 9 mil for 8 years, Cats gonna get more then 7

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Stan will try to be aggressive in free agency, but the Hawks have nothing to offer to any good free agents. The Hawks have missed the playoffs 3 years in a row (Nashville sweep basically was them missing). No one knows what Colliton is either. At least free agents before could look and see Q and know what to expect.

The Hawks will be picking from the 3rd/4th FA tier again until they can prove they are a playoff team on their own (building from draft out).

The best use of cap this offseason will be acquiring one year dead cap space contracts from current playoff teams.

This is not a playoff team anyway you slice it. They need to completely retool the bottom 6 and their defense is a mess. Goaltending is also a big question mark.

Stan needs to keep playing the long game regardless of how much pressure they might be from marketing to sell tickets.

You do this right and you can establish another extended window of competitive hockey. Or you can rush it make the playoffs but then completely fall apart again due to poor roster construction over the long run.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If reports are true that Skinner is looking at 9 mil for 8 years, Cats gonna get more then 7
Perhaps he does, but with Wardo, Kunitz, Kruger, etc. coming off of the roaster, plus Crawford at the end of the year, he should be covered.
Stan will try to be aggressive in free agency, but the Hawks have nothing to offer to any good free agents. The Hawks have missed the playoffs 3 years in a row (Nashville sweep basically was them missing). No one knows what Colliton is either. At least free agents before could look and see Q and know what to expect.

The Hawks will be picking from the 3rd/4th FA tier again until they can prove they are a playoff team on their own (building from draft out).

The best use of cap this offseason will be acquiring one year dead cap space contracts from current playoff teams.

This is not a playoff team anyway you slice it. They need to completely retool the bottom 6 and their defense is a mess. Goaltending is also a big question mark.

Stan needs to keep playing the long game regardless of how much pressure they might be from marketing to sell tickets.

You do this right and you can establish another extended window of competitive hockey. Or you can rush it make the playoffs but then completely fall apart again due to poor roster construction over the long run.

The key to that is, "1 year of dead cap". Unfortunately most dead-cap contracts are longer than that: See also: Seabrook. With how many FA's are coming up at the end of the 2020 season, the 'hawks would be fucking stupid to take on any dead cap beyond a year. Part of the rebuilding of the winning culture is retention of blue chip contracts.

Plus, I think Stan is in the hot seat. He has his guy behind the bench from the get-go and thus has no excuses for not getting it done. He has the #3 pick. He has 6+ players playing for their next payday this year. Unless he has an internal plan approved by McDonut and Rocky where he punts this coming season, taking on yet more dead cap might very well get him fired.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
After Jan1st we were playing at 100pt pace; we are not that far off. Some gritty bottom 6 help, and a solid top 4 D-man should help solidify the roster. Add in that we get a top 3 pick will help get us a potential elite player either ag Forward or Defence.

For the draft the hype on Turcotte is crazy; anything Blackhawks is a piece on Turcotte.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont know, Skinners been doing that 50 points for 5 years now, I still think that is a step above where Cat is after 2. I know he wants 9 million, I think Panarin wants 11. Does not mean they will get it.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wow... an ER sightings. The old times are new again.

Yeah. he seems to know and love hockey but I still say fuck him.
Remember that anyone that wasn't as right wing as him was diseased?

Yeah, ER, I remember you. Am I still diseased because I don't agree with your political views?

Good goddamn I miss our IHN brothers and sisters. Even ER, Jax, IceHogsFan.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Yeah, ER, I remember you. Am I still diseased because I don't agree with your political views?

You brought Grimson here, I think we're even.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You brought Grimson here, I think we're even.
Fuck!
Sorry about that.
I'd be ahead if Bookjones would have come along.
Oh well. I'll just punch myself in the face now for having Grimson come along.
What an asshole!

Rawr!

KBIB

Liked Posts:

I think this is a playoff team.

A Cup contender? No, but a legit playoff team as of now.

Let's see how many teams get fucked over the summer on account of the cap. The Peg being one of them. Vegas too.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I have a pretty strong feeling that it's going to be Cozens, which is a fine choice - but I prefer Byram like many others.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Ok. Here we go. Everyone post what the top 3 picks are going to be and we'll see who is right. Pick all top 5 correctly and maybe I'll let you ban someone. Or is that too easy?

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok. Here we go. Everyone post what the top 3 picks are going to be and we'll see who is right. Pick all top 5 correctly and maybe I'll let you ban someone. Or is that too easy?
I like it Mass

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
alright I like those games so here is my whacked out top three

1. Devils-kakko.....I think he’s the best of the draft

2. Rangers- byram....they want kakko but devils can’t pass him up so they add a difference maker at defense

3. Blackhawks-Hughes......without byram there it becomes a choice between turcotte and Hughes and bowman would take Hughes imo. Personally I would probably go turcotte over Hughes

4. Avalanche- turcotte but I think they are praying for byram to fall to them

5. Kings- cozens

Last edited:

KBIB

Liked Posts:
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Bryan
5. Caufield

EbonyRaptor

Liked Posts:

I'm an old codger and the memory ain't what it used to be but I'm pretty sure I never called anyone diseased based on their political views. In fact I really couldn't care less what anyone's political views are and never did. My problem with political views was when they were espoused on this and other hockey blogs. I come to hockey blogs to immerse myself in hockey talk and to get away from the other bullshit that passes for "normal life".

And now ... on to hockey talk.

This talk about Stan acquiring Ryan Murray from Columbus is intriguing. He's injury prone but IF he can stay healthy he is a pretty good d-man. Acquire Murray and draft Byram and here's the starting lineup for 2019/20:

Keith-Jokiharju
Murray-Gustafsson
Byram-Murphy
Seabrook

And yes, Byram makes the team. He said in an interview that he is ready and I believe him.