2019 Draft

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
J. Roenick type edge?
You know, he gets compared alot to Rick Nash, but I see alot of Roenick.

Theres a video on YouTube where he's on the forecheck and a defenseman makes a breakout and he just flattens the guy. He could have let up but he doesn't.

He doesn't have elite speed, but he's quick. He could carry a line himself. But his defensive zone play is elite. He's very aggressive in his own zone and isn't afraid of board battles.

He also steps up when the pressure is on. He was one of the best during the Gretzky Cup.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I'm with you on Byram.

And Turcotte I like. That hip injury tho....

Hopefully they have a better medical staff than the bears and bulls to evaluate that lol. Either way lots of good potential with this pick. We’re lucky it’s not just a two player draft and lots of meh after that

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Hopefully they have a better medical staff than the bears and bulls to evaluate that lol. Either way lots of good potential with this pick. We’re lucky it’s not just a two player draft and lots of meh after that
Agreed.

All over Reddit fans are over evaluating this pick. We got lucky. We got lucky in a deep draft. Having the pick of the litter of the second tier isn't a bad thing.

IMO

Pods- if he's 100% coming over and there's no bullshit attached. He's a game changer and just as good as the top two

Byram- a replacement for DK? Yes please. I have no worries about him playing in the NHL next year and he's having a huge playoff run right now.

Turcotte- if there wasn't injury concerns, we wouldn't have any question who the Hawks were taking, it would be Turcotte.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is where picking for club or your job gets dicey with pressure.

Turcotte needs healing and Pods takes time but are the right asset.

Bryam is ready now at need.

I prefer the franchise asset.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still, with Kane/Toews/Crow on last lap of prime, drafting the most ready now prospect can’t be faulted. A lot can go wrong with a development player, like Johns for instance.

I like the sound of Bryam too.

Just seems like even though we “won” initial lottery this draft tier 3-7 is another lottery of wide factors.

Injured? 2 years wait? Defense? Center?

Tough fucking choice. Let’s Bowman do his job instead of sitting at 9 and taking the choice everyone else passe on. Pick of an eclectic litter.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Still, with Kane/Toews/Crow on last lap of prime, drafting the most ready now prospect can’t be faulted. A lot can go wrong with a development player, like Johns for instance.

I like the sound of Bryam too.

Just seems like even though we “won” initial lottery this draft tier 3-7 is another lottery of wide factors.

Injured? 2 years wait? Defense? Center?

Tough fucking choice. Let’s Bowman do his job instead of sitting at 9 and taking the choice everyone else passe on. Pick of an eclectic litter.
It’s not a bad scenario to be in

Would you rather be in a situation like what the nba draft is going to be?

KBIB

Liked Posts:
This is where picking for club or your job gets dicey with pressure.

Turcotte needs healing and Pods takes time but are the right asset.

Bryam is ready now at need.

I prefer the franchise asset.
You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm liking Byram.

I really think Pods is the best player in this draft. That's my opinion, but there's too much red tape baggage.

Even if Byram ends up a top four D, that's a hell of a pick at three.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It always boils down to will he play here soon. Where would you put Pods right now? Toews, Kane, Cat, Saad, AA, Strome, are they the only considered locks on this team? Perlini is here another year, right? Will we never see Ejdsell, Sikura, Knott, Johnson, and the others. I thought they were really high on Kurashev. Will the hole they make for him be in the right place? Same withthe D, 5 locks and Joker supposedly transitioning better to the American game in Rockford, someone will need to go and they are stuck.

To me, Bovquist feels like a first round d man pick this year, better shot for a forward to contribute the way you expect the third pick to immediately play.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I figured it out, Bowman is going to trade down to 13 with the Panthers.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
It always boils down to will he play here soon. Where would you put Pods right now? Toews, Kane, Cat, Saad, AA, Strome, are they the only considered locks on this team? Perlini is here another year, right? Will we never see Ejdsell, Sikura, Knott, Johnson, and the others. I thought they were really high on Kurashev. Will the hole they make for him be in the right place? Same withthe D, 5 locks and Joker supposedly transitioning better to the American game in Rockford, someone will need to go and they are stuck.

To me, Bovquist feels like a first round d man pick this year, better shot for a forward to contribute the way you expect the third pick to immediately play.
Pods can most definitely play in the NHL next year.

If he played on a line with Saad and Toews, that line would be a shut down clinic. But, right now, you could put him on a NHL third line and he wouldn't be out of place and he could drive the line himself.

Byram I think steps into the NHL and makes an impact. He's a 20 minute a game guy now and imo by the time the playoffs start next year he's a 20 min a game guy in the NHL. Which makes having a Keith and Seabs a good thing, they take all the hard minutes in the playoffs while all these kids get to experience it.

Turcotte is a stud. But he had a serious hip injury already. He reminds me of Kesler, a faster Kesler. That injury tho. If doctors say he's fine, I really think that's who the Hawks take even with a commit to Wis.

Kura is good. He's gonna top out at a third liner who can move up. Great shot, great speed. A faster Versteeg.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
If you trade down and they take Seabrooks contract......

You take the goalie at 13, Knight, and you high five everyone on the way out the draft.

Spencer Knight is going to be good. Real, real good. This would be the Hawks dream scenario tho...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
It's Byram

I'm 100% all in on Byram. You don't pass up a top pairing guy. I really think teams will be calling Stan over this kid.

When we first got the news we were picking 3 he was my top choice. Only time doubt crept in is when some posters showed our up and coming dmen. I think that’s a case of overthinking things. Take byram and don’t look back. The passed two years we’ve been clawing out our eyeballs cause seabrook and Keith aren’t shit any more

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
When we first got the news we were picking 3 he was my top choice. Only time doubt crept in is when some posters showed our up and coming dmen. I think that’s a case of overthinking things. Take byram and don’t look back. The passed two years we’ve been clawing out our eyeballs cause seabrook and Keith aren’t shit any more
Thats only part of the story though, it does not matter that Brokes and Dunc arent shit anymore, they are not going anywhere. Its a ton of talent that should play in the NHL, but Bovquist should have played last year. I dont think any team is much about helping Bowman and McDonuts out of the current state unless some team is struggling to make it to the cap floor and wants to play their kids. The only thing that makes it easier is we have never seen Bovquist, Beaudin and Mitchell don the indian head yet, and drafting him will pretty much guarantee we never will. Not even sure Joker would make it back.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
One thing lost with Byram is that he is a LHD whereas Boqvist, Joker, Beaudin, and Mitchell all are RHD. I know the Hawks have played guys on their opposite sides much of the last 10 years, but for young dmen, it makes sense to me to put them in a more comfortable position and play them on their natural side.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't know if you trade Gus.

He's elite on the PP. I mean, he's the main reason why the PP turned into such a huge success. His "look for a shot, nope, pass to Kaner" method turned alot of heads this year. He's pretty much a lock now. The time to trade him was this year.

Right now, I think it's Byram. But the Russian is looking more and more like a Bowman pick. Stan likes great skaters with high hockey IQ, those two check both boxes.
The problem is Gus' D sucks--like Nick Leddy/2006/2018 Keith sucks. With the logjam at D we might not be able to afford him especially considering not only that logjam, but I think GM's will be leery about taking on contracts at the bleeding edge of the CBA since there is precedent about ex post facto punishment (see also: Recapture). Thus I think for contracts like Seabrook (even if he was willing to move or could be moved), he ain't going anywhere, which does nothing to alleviate the logjam.

I think with Gus the 'hawks play him through the TDL this coming season and then try to get a haul for him.

As for the pick? As long as we get someone defensively responsible be it FWD or D. If we get another Cam Barker Bowman should be hanged in effigy.
If he does he deserves a slow, sheet-lightning enema.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Thats only part of the story though, it does not matter that Brokes and Dunc arent shit anymore, they are not going anywhere. Its a ton of talent that should play in the NHL, but Bovquist should have played last year. I dont think any team is much about helping Bowman and McDonuts out of the current state unless some team is struggling to make it to the cap floor and wants to play their kids. The only thing that makes it easier is we have never seen Bovquist, Beaudin and Mitchell don the indian head yet, and drafting him will pretty much guarantee we never will. Not even sure Joker would make it back.

I think we could move just about any contract we want but would need to add to the trade to make it palatable to a team. Problem is the nmc bowman gave

Maybe we can flip some of that young d talent for some offensive talent? Since we are likely atuck with any player with a nmc.

Whatever we do there are a many scenarios that would work to benefit this team. We are sitting in a really good spot thanks to this lucky ping pong with the lottery

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
One thing lost with Byram is that he is a LHD whereas Boqvist, Joker, Beaudin, and Mitchell all are RHD. I know the Hawks have played guys on their opposite sides much of the last 10 years, but for young dmen, it makes sense to me to put them in a more comfortable position and play them on their natural side.
but that is where the team is strong, with the left side guys. they clearly need to stop the madness of clearing on the backhand. Hammer got so used to it, they put him on the left side where he belongs in the worlds and he was just average again. With Hammer it was a special circumstance, all D little O, so it was not as important, but they did win three cups that way. Now they are looking for offensive help from the D.

Gus is alot like Leddy, and will probably get moved because he is alot like Leddy. Just took a while to find another Leddy here, even though those were the years they were the dynasty.

Maybe now we can replace the Buff guy.