2019 Draft

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Since we have done a solid job of breaking down this draft potentials,

It seems to me Byram and Kakko are the two who you can count on to hold up to NHL rigor at their age and are not contractually bound. Is that right?

I know Hughes can play and score in the league too, but his size makes you want to put him on ice for a year somewhere. imo

For due diligence, I have two final questions before this draft for a hockey guru that may help us understand...

1. how many years away from NHL Caufield is...is he a college cat or can he get here as soon as Byram?
2. If someone has knowledge and is willing, please compare Lord Byram to the last two defenceman taken #1 overall...

Rasmus Dahlin 2018 #1 overall pick to Sabres
Aaron Ekblad 2014 #1 overall pick to Panthers

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,

There is a rapture on the lonely shore,

There is society where none intrudes,

By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:

I love not Man the less, but Nature more,

From these our interviews, in which I steal

From all I may be, or have been before,

To mingle with the Universe, and feel

What I can ne’er express, yet cannot all conceal.

I once wanted to be a poet....hahaha

I guess I'm rooting for Lord Byram

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
If the last si
Since we have done a solid job of breaking down this draft potentials,

It seems to me Byram and Kakko are the two who you can count on to hold up to NHL rigor at their age and are not contractually bound. Is that right?

I know Hughes can play and score in the league too, but his size makes you want to put him on ice for a year somewhere. imo

For due diligence, I have two final questions before this draft for a hockey guru that may help us understand...

1. how many years away from NHL Caufield is...is he a college cat or can he get here as soon as Byram?
2. If someone has knowledge and is willing, please compare Lord Byram to the last two defenceman taken #1 overall...

Rasmus Dahlin 2018 #1 overall pick to Sabres
Aaron Ekblad 2014 #1 overall pick to Panthers
Dahlin is on another level of talent then Byram. Dahlin by this time next year will be one of the top five players in hockey.

Ekblad is a stud. Had concussions early but he's been elite his entire career.

I would put Byram on the same level as Ekblad when Ek was coming out in the draft. Byram just carried a shitty team to one goal away from the Memorial Cup and has raised his game to the point I really think the two teams in front of the Hawks have to think about him.

Hughes has no showed during the IIHF while Kakko has dominated against men. There's no doubt about Hughes skill set, but his size, a dripping wet 160 pounds... He's not DeBrincat who's built like a brick shithouse, either. Yeah, yeah Kane was small too, but imo, Kane was a better prospect on account of his game. Hughes game is all about speed, while Kane slows the game down and looks for a flaw in the defense. Hughes doesn't have the size to dominate players once they figure out how to combat his speed and I don't think he has the hockey IQ of Kane, who has for over a decade made players look stupid.

Could Hughes fall? Who knows. If, and its a big, it won't happen if, Byram was taken two, do the Hawks take Hughes or look for a trade?

Not gonna lie, the Hawks have the best pick in this Draft.

Caufield? He could play in about a year.
Byram? NHLer
Turcotte? NHLer after one year in wis
Dach? NHLer
Cozens? NHLer

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the last si
Dahlin is on another level of talent then Byram. Dahlin by this time next year will be one of the top five players in hockey.

Ekblad is a stud. Had concussions early but he's been elite his entire career.

I would put Byram on the same level as Ekblad when Ek was coming out in the draft. Byram just carried a shitty team to one goal away from the Memorial Cup and has raised his game to the point I really think the two teams in front of the Hawks have to think about him.

Hughes has no showed during the IIHF while Kakko has dominated against men. There's no doubt about Hughes skill set, but his size, a dripping wet 160 pounds... He's not DeBrincat who's built like a brick shithouse, either. Yeah, yeah Kane was small too, but imo, Kane was a better prospect on account of his game. Hughes game is all about speed, while Kane slows the game down and looks for a flaw in the defense. Hughes doesn't have the size to dominate players once they figure out how to combat his speed and I don't think he has the hockey IQ of Kane, who has for over a decade made players look stupid.

Could Hughes fall? Who knows. If, and its a big, it won't happen if, Byram was taken two, do the Hawks take Hughes or look for a trade?

Not gonna lie, the Hawks have the best pick in this Draft.

Caufield? He could play in about a year.
Byram? NHLer
Turcotte? NHLer after one year in wis
Dach? NHLer
Cozens? NHLer

Thanks you except for one line

"The hawks have the best pick in this draft"

haha...you guys have sold me so hard on Byram I almost feel that way, but ... one thing ...

I'm taking Hossa if given the chance. Kakko is what we need. Its Hughes I don't want, but if we can trade the shit out of that to a team that needs to sell tickets so be it.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Thanks you except for one line

"The hawks have the best pick in this draft"

haha...you guys have sold me so hard on Byram I almost feel that way, but ... one thing ...

I'm taking Hossa if given the chance. Kakko is what we need. Its Hughes I don't want, but if we can trade the shit out of that to a team that needs to sell tickets so be it.
I think Kakko is going first overall. His been the best player in the entire IIHF so far and its not even close.

My worry is the Rags taking Byram over Hughes.

My thoughts on Hughes;

Yes, he's great. But he needs to put on some weight. Does this jeopardize his speed game? He's a fantastic skater, tho and would be the best skater on the Hawks, which is why I think the LaFontaine comparison is fair (LaFontaine was no joke before he got concussions).

I'm really starting to think because of the IIHF that Hughes is trending down.

Kakko has dominated men
Byram put an entire team on his back and was the only reason they were that close to the memorial cup in the first place.
While Hughes hasn't looked too good.

Kakko will not fall.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Kakko is going first overall. His been the best player in the entire IIHF so far and its not even close.

My worry is the Rags taking Byram over Hughes.

My thoughts on Hughes;

Yes, he's great. But he needs to put on some weight. Does this jeopardize his speed game? He's a fantastic skater, tho and would be the best skater on the Hawks, which is why I think the LaFontaine comparison is fair (LaFontaine was no joke before he got concussions).

I'm really starting to think because of the IIHF that Hughes is trending down.

Kakko has dominated men
Byram put an entire team on his back and was the only reason they were that close to the memorial cup in the first place.
While Hughes hasn't looked too good.

Kakko will not fall.

Yeah...

but if Hughes did indeed fall, I think you can have that speed element on the Toews/Saad line again and let Cat/kane continue to work on their chemistry. We will be small for sure...and slow on the back-end. LOL...which seems to be the combination that gets us stripped in the zone and then chasing right away.

So...if Kakko/Byram go 1,2...

then Bowman can get cute afterall or just take Turcotte(poor mans Hossa)/Pods(rich mans Panarin) if no trade down is possible, would be my preference. While I like the two way game of Turcotte, given his average size I think I would take the strong on his skates Pods.
Pods or Turcotte is still a good thing, but I'm starting to understand what Byram would do for this team.

Lord Byram seems like a champion, where the others are useful needed weapons.

So for me...I'm not even looking at

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My final draft answer...

1. Kakko
2. Lord Byram
3. Trade Hughes to drop back into 5-8 area where you know you get a good player + picks +(defenseman or center)
4. Pods
5. Kaliyev
6. Hughes (too small)
7. Dach
8. Turcotte
9. Goalies Knight or Kocketkov(good nicknames here)
10. Caufield (also just so small I have concerns)

And no offense to the Hughes/Turcotte fanboys...this order just shows my preference for big strong boys who will be big strong men and hold their floor up in this league. Kaliyev and Pods offer a grit and strength we desperately need. With Turcotte there is very little information at the higher levels of hockey some of these other guys are proven 1.5 ppg players. Turcotte has excelled in USA hockey with other good players around him. I still think a 5'11" 185 pound center is a bit more risky than Kaliyev or Dach. Just my two cents. Thanks to all for your help, I've never been this ready for an NHL draft.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah if I'm picking 1 it's Kakko, not even close

KBIB

Liked Posts:
My final draft answer...

1. Kakko
2. Lord Byram
3. Trade Hughes to drop back into 5-8 area where you know you get a good player + picks +(defenseman or center)
4. Pods
5. Kaliyev
6. Hughes (too small)
7. Dach
8. Turcotte
9. Goalies Knight or Kocketkov(good nicknames here)
10. Caufield (also just so small I have concerns)

And no offense to the Hughes/Turcotte fanboys...this order just shows my preference for big strong boys who will be big strong men and hold their floor up in this league. Kaliyev and Pods offer a grit and strength we desperately need. With Turcotte there is very little information at the higher levels of hockey some of these other guys are proven 1.5 ppg players. Turcotte has excelled in USA hockey with other good players around him. I still think a 5'11" 185 pound center is a bit more risky than Kaliyev or Dach. Just my two cents. Thanks to all for your help, I've never been this ready for an NHL draft.
Turcotte is a beast, tho.

Byram
Turcotte
Hughes
Caufield
Cozens
Zegras
Dach

Hoping Knight falls into the second round or Leason.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Turcotte is a beast, tho.

Byram
Turcotte
Hughes
Caufield
Cozens
Zegras
Dach

Hoping Knight falls into the second round or Leason.
against children. Could be an early or late bloomer...I would have to know more to flip Turcotte above the other two larger centers who can also score, but his decision to go to college and his injury...I moved him down a touch.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How can you turn away Hughes if he falls in our lap?

Like the above comments, I view Jack Hughes as not being as sturdy as either Kane or Debricat.

I'm not against it, I'll love it. I'll love that we get to take any of the above that may have been out of reach at 12. We got real lucky. I'd love Hughes, but I prefer Kakko, Byram, Pods, or Turcotte, one of the larger centers.

The league has obviously changed to finesse and speed in Hughes favor though. I'll trust the professionals on that projection. Just my preference for the Hawks, but I can't be too against Cat/Kane/Hughes all american heroes all on the Hawks.

But Martini raises a good point...that a Canadien team picks second. So if Kakko goes...look out. We may have to decide.

Last edited:

KBIB

Liked Posts:
How can you turn away Hughes if he falls in our lap?
I wouldn't.

I'm just not sold on him after seeing what Byram did in the playoffs. Devils fans see him as the second coming, so let them have him.

I would rather have Byram take his lumps on this Hawks team for a bit then make the playoffs then watching the Hawks lose games 8 to 6 and Hughes wins the Calder playing on a line with Kane.

I'm really on board the Byram Hype Train. The only knock on him was defused by his coach when scouts thought he was selfish, and his coach came out and basically said "have you seen the fucking team around him". I'll take the guy who has a history of stepping up when it natters

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Its already looking like at least 2 of the 4 big name D men in our system are not going to make the squad, unless the Dahlstrom and Kukoo deals are to ease moving them. Mitchell and Beaudin are still not going to be here.

Right now some rankings of prospects that the hawks own rights to are

Kurashev 2nd C
Boqvist 4th D
Beaudin 8th D
DSik 13th F
Luke Johnson 20th. C
Krys 25th D
Tsik 26th F
Joker 31. D

Those are at least the sexy names, so both C and D should be pretty well covered.

I like the mini hossa pick myself.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My only true fear here is that stanbo tries again to show everyone how smart he is and goes way outside the box for a reach on a huge upside guy. Someone who will likely be good but ultimately never reach 3rd pick good.
That's the worry a lot of us have, coupled with the fact that Stan/JC will have a clean, full year along with a ton of players playing for their next deal. Stan and JC should on all accounts be in the hot seat. Just like Q with the "Fresh Legs" disaster, I think a lot of people think Stan might try to be too smart for his own good trying to secure his job. The 'hawks can't afford high risk/potential huge upside--the lineup has too many holes. That #3 pick is a gift and the 'hawks can blag a low-risk high upside player--which is what they need. If Stan is smart he won't gamble on that pick.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
That's the worry a lot of us have, coupled with the fact that Stan/JC will have a clean, full year along with a ton of players playing for their next deal. Stan and JC should on all accounts be in the hot seat. Just like Q with the "Fresh Legs" disaster, I think a lot of people think Stan might try to be too smart for his own good trying to secure his job. The 'hawks can't afford high risk/potential huge upside--the lineup has too many holes. That #3 pick is a gift and the 'hawks can blag a low-risk high upside player--which is what they need. If Stan is smart he won't gamble on that pick.
I really don't know how Stan can mess this pick up.

He takes one of the big centers, fine. Both should play in the NHL next year.

Turcotte? I'll wait that's fine
Byram? Yesssss
The only guys who I would consider a reach would be Caufield and Zegras, but both should be NHLers.
Pods? Only if he doesn't come over ever. I'll wait two years.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its already looking like at least 2 of the 4 big name D men in our system are not going to make the squad, unless the Dahlstrom and Kukoo deals are to ease moving them. Mitchell and Beaudin are still not going to be here.

Right now some rankings of prospects that the hawks own rights to are

Kurashev 2nd C
Boqvist 4th D
Beaudin 8th D
DSik 13th F
Luke Johnson 20th. C
Krys 25th D
Tsik 26th F
Joker 31. D

Those are at least the sexy names, so both C and D should be pretty well covered.

I like the mini hossa pick myself.

Yeah...if Boqvist can be a more skilled Leddy...

The biggest question mark next year is Kurashev. If that dude can be 2nd center, and Ejdesel can come up and be 3rd or 4th...

then you can finally move Anisimov for hopefully a fairly neutral deal and not give up too much. He doesn't have NTC does he? Just paid too much to move?

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Yeah...if Boqvist can be a more skilled Leddy...

The biggest question mark next year is Kurashev. If that dude can be 2nd center, and Ejdesel can come up and be 3rd or 4th...

then you can finally move Anisimov for hopefully a fairly neutral deal and not give up too much. He doesn't have NTC does he? Just paid too much to move?
Ejdsell was going back to his team in Sweeden, he signed a two year deal after wasting away in Rockford all season. He had such a strong few games when he was here I was really surprised he did not get a shot last year. Really dont know who beat him out since Luke Johnson was the first kid brought up. So that part of the "deal they could not refuse" for Hartman slipped away, but at least the flip pick that ended up being Kurashev might pan out.