2019 Draft

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, been
Ejdsell was going back to his team in Sweeden, he signed a two year deal after wasting away in Rockford all season. He had such a strong few games when he was here I was really surprised he did not get a shot last year. Really dont know who beat him out since Luke Johnson was the first kid brought up. So that part of the "deal they could not refuse" for Hartman slipped away, but at least the flip pick that ended up being Kurashev might pan out.
damn, been waiting for that kid. He looked like he had stud potential physically.

Must have been too slow and a touch long legged, poor at face offs because he was a nuisance in the offensive zone and a big strong body in defensive zone.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really don't know how Stan can mess this pick up.

He takes one of the big centers, fine. Both should play in the NHL next year.

Turcotte? I'll wait that's fine
Byram? Yesssss
The only guys who I would consider a reach would be Caufield and Zegras, but both should be NHLers.
Pods? Only if he doesn't come over ever. I'll wait two years.
I like you're optimism, but you're talking about a GM who tried to cram Runblad down our throats as the next big D thing. The man can screw up a wet dream if he goes off the rails.

Turcotte or Byram should be so bloody obvious that even a lobotomized politician would pick either--I don't think anyone would debate this. But, if Stan tried to be too smart for his own good he might go off the rails and try to reach....and that's the problem.

In my opinion the 'hawks just can't be looking for an NHL'er, they have to be looking for someone to be the next go-to guy and a 3rd overall pick gives them that opportunity. Both Turcotte and Byram are cut from that mold and can likley fill Toews or Keith's roles as the leader on the ice (which makes them the obvious choice). Stan however, might be enamored by someone else with a higher ceiling but much more risk--and he's had an issue with that in the past coupled with keeping guys well-past their use-by date.

My guess is that one of Turcotte or Byram falls to 3--especially if Kakko/Hughes continue to be the consensus 1/2 (although word is Hughes stock has fallen a bit). If either guy falls Stan should blag them. If both fall my opinion is Byram has the edge. But in no way, shape or form should the man be reaching.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I like you're optimism, but you're talking about a GM who tried to cram Runblad down our throats as the next big D thing. The man can screw up a wet dream if he goes off the rails.

Turcotte or Byram should be so bloody obvious that even a lobotomized politician would pick either--I don't think anyone would debate this. But, if Stan tried to be too smart for his own good he might go off the rails and try to reach....and that's the problem.

In my opinion the 'hawks just can't be looking for an NHL'er, they have to be looking for someone to be the next go-to guy and a 3rd overall pick gives them that opportunity. Both Turcotte and Byram are cut from that mold and can likley fill Toews or Keith's roles as the leader on the ice (which makes them the obvious choice). Stan however, might be enamored by someone else with a higher ceiling but much more risk--and he's had an issue with that in the past coupled with keeping guys well-past their use-by date.

My guess is that one of Turcotte or Byram falls to 3--especially if Kakko/Hughes continue to be the consensus 1/2 (although word is Hughes stock has fallen a bit). If either guy falls Stan should blag them. If both fall my opinion is Byram has the edge. But in no way, shape or form should the man be reaching.
And I assume by this then, you are implying the obvious that if Kakko or Hughes somehow falls, they are the no brainer.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I assume by this then, you are implying the obvious that if Kakko or Hughes somehow falls, they are the no brainer.
Thats not what it sound like to me.

It sounds like to me he views this draft as

1. Kakko
2. Byram
3. Turcotte

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Kakko Falls, it's a no brainer.

Hughes...I just don't know at this point. He is completely invisible at the IIHF while Kakko leads the Finns. Is this an anomaly? Does Hughes need more seasoning? What's the story there? Toews came into the mens division before his professional debut and did incredibly well. Hughes has similar talent around him and is not showing much. That worries me a bit.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Hughes...I just don't know at this point. He is completely invisible at the IIHF while Kakko leads the Finns. Is this an anomaly? Does Hughes need more seasoning? What's the story there? Toews came into the mens division before his professional debut and did incredibly well. Hughes has similar talent around him and is not showing much. That worries me a bit.
Well sure, and I'm not trying to put anyone down or any organization, but Kakko may be close to or the top forward on his team with only 1 NHL guy on the roster. I assume hes on the top line too. I haven't been able to see enough, but I assume looking at the US roster that's not the same case for Huges, he's just not needed as much with guys like Kane around. Sure, Toews point is the still valid, I just mean sometimes it' opportunity and not talent.

Kaako is the only one on the first page of the scores stats for team Finland. And that's at 7 games 6 Goals 1 Assist. Right below Jack Eichel, so would you consider Eichel tearing it up too? I mean, I'm not saying he's not, just throwing it out there for comparison.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He was scratched today against Canada so one of two things is going on. They are simply grooming him now for U.S.A hockey because they know he is going to be with them for a long time, but Hughes agent and people don't want to expose him to injury or play concerns before the draft.

These games are still meaningless, so I am still hopeful once the games count they put Hughes out there as their secret weapon on the Eichel line probably, because that line looks weak sauce to me and needs a spark despite having arguably the teams best two way player right now?

IIHF ain't over yet...a total scractch the rest of the tourney would make questions.

A final brain addled druggy perspective would be diabolical, given the presence of two very cool cats on the U.S.A...team. I bring that up because this confusion would play into the Blackhawks chances of landing Hughes, and if he idolizes Cane and got to meet/talk/hang with a Cat his age in DEbricat, explained the system of Hawks to him and how perfect it is for him, then player and agent could be in concert to drop him to his best fit and desired location?

I don't know what I'm talking about so I'll trust you guys I got Turcotte wrong based on stats/size...and he is the 3rd or 4th best player.

I guess personally if the first two actually passed on Hughes and our choice is Turcotte/Hughes or a Russian...so be it. I will love the selection or a massive trade down.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well sure, and I'm not trying to put anyone down or any organization, but Kakko may be close to or the top forward on his team with only 1 NHL guy on the roster. I assume hes on the top line too. I haven't been able to see enough, but I assume looking at the US roster that's not the same case for Huges, he's just not needed as much with guys like Kane around. Sure, Toews point is the still valid, I just mean sometimes it' opportunity and not talent.

Kaako is the only one on the first page of the scores stats for team Finland. And that's at 7 games 6 Goals 1 Assist. Right below Jack Eichel, so would you consider Eichel tearing it up too? I mean, I'm not saying he's not, just throwing it out there for comparison.
If I recall right Toews had similar NHL talent in 2007 around him as Hughes does now and Toews made the most of it. Hughes? I don't know. Unless Team America's coach marginalized him to a massive extent it almost seems like he didn't try to get the ball, he didn't try to take the ball, and he didn't try to run with it. Toiews on the other hand made a name for himself.

IMHO that pick we got needs to flesh out the future leadership of the team--the guys who can put the whole team on their back and run with it--and Toews himself is proof that you can get that out of a 3OA guy. From what I've seen Kakko, Turcotte, and Byram all have a high likelihood of being that. Hughes didn't really step up nor was he pegged to be an important piece in the game against Canada. To me that's enough to give me pause.

Conversely though, how long was it before Keith hit the international stage? So, I could be wrong.

That being said if we get Hughes I won't be disappointed. I just feel like Byram especially checks a lot of boxes that the 'hawks need.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
If I recall right Toews had similar NHL talent in 2007 around him as Hughes does now and Toews made the most of it. Hughes? I don't know. Unless Team America's coach marginalized him to a massive extent it almost seems like he didn't try to get the ball, he didn't try to take the ball, and he didn't try to run with it. Toiews on the other hand made a name for himself.

IMHO that pick we got needs to flesh out the future leadership of the team--the guys who can put the whole team on their back and run with it--and Toews himself is proof that you can get that out of a 3OA guy. From what I've seen Kakko, Turcotte, and Byram all have a high likelihood of being that. Hughes didn't really step up nor was he pegged to be an important piece in the game against Canada. To me that's enough to give me pause.

Conversely though, how long was it before Keith hit the international stage? So, I could be wrong.

That being said if we get Hughes I won't be disappointed. I just feel like Byram especially checks a lot of boxes that the 'hawks need.
I am just not willing to say a player who has shown to be up to the task of being the consensus number 1 all year is tumbling in stock all of a sudden because of a team thrown together for a world championship and not geared to his talents necessarily. Especially when the guy getting the pub seems to be doing it because he's hot and no one else is. I'm not a pro scout or anything by any means but I just don't get overly worked up about someone getting hot just before the draft when it has been who will win the Hughes sweepstakes forever now. Also the kid has been good but it's not like he's a tournament leader or anything. He has 6 goals in 7 games. But only 7 points. 7 players have that many goals of more. And he's 24th in points.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Actually want to clarify. I know the kid was always really good so getting hot isn't probably the right phrase. I just mean having a better last week or two.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Damn, been

damn, been waiting for that kid. He looked like he had stud potential physically.

Must have been too slow and a touch long legged, poor at face offs because he was a nuisance in the offensive zone and a big strong body in defensive zone.

I really dont know, I think half of Bowmans thought process of development was to keep control for as low a dollar as possible and having guys wasting away in Rockford gets him closer to his oh so critical bridge contract. Every time I read about the next great european player signing with the hawks I scratch my head. They must all think they are the next saad, panarin, debrincat and belong from the start.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Actually want to clarify. I know the kid was always really good so getting hot isn't probably the right phrase. I just mean having a better last week or two.
I don't disagree, but playing devil's advocate: How much have we fans looked at prospects and wondered "how do they play when on a big stage?" How many out there have vocally wondered if Debrincat (for example) will shine or wilt during the playoffs? How many wondered that about Kane by virtue of his size circa 2009? How long did Panarin have the stigma of disappearing in the playoffs before he helped send Tampa packing this year?

I honestly don't know how much the IIHF affects Kakko or Hughes' overall stock, but if one steps up and one steps back on the international stage it could affect perceptions of them. Kakko being hot at this time doesn't change that Hughes got cold. Tournament isn't over though--so we'll see.

Everything I've read says that Hughes/Kakko are still the consensus 1/2. Unless The Rags/The Devils have a hard-on for someone else I expect them to go 1/2.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So worst case scenarios for this draft are...

1. Kakko
2. Byram
3. We take Jack Hughes (lol at this being our biggest fear)
3. Get cute and trade down for one of the following (other worst case scenario)
4. Turcotte
5. Pods
6. Kaliyev
7. Dach
8. Goalies Knight or Kocketkov(good nicknames here)
9. Caufield (also just so small I have concerns)

I think we end up with Lord Byram.

but would understand any of the top 5 and be giddy about it. Hurray lottery!!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So worst case scenarios for this draft are...

1. Kakko
2. Byram
3. We take Jack Hughes (lol at this being our biggest fear)
3. Get cute and trade down for one of the following (other worst case scenario)
4. Turcotte
5. Pods
6. Kaliyev
7. Dach
8. Goalies Knight or Kocketkov(good nicknames here)
9. Caufield (also just so small I have concerns)

I think we end up with Lord Byram.

but would understand any of the top 5 and be giddy about it. Hurray lottery!!
The worst-case draft scenario is if Stan goes off the rails, thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, and goes high risk/potential high reward and we get snowed by it--like taking a goalie or Caufield at slot 3.

I too think we end up with Byram--and unless a team offers us a fucking *haul* (emphasis) for that 3rd round pick and takes some deadwood off our books, I don't think we should be trading down.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The worst-case draft scenario is if Stan goes off the rails, thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, and goes high risk/potential high reward and we get snowed by it--like taking a goalie or Caufield at slot 3.

I too think we end up with Byram--and unless a team offers us a fucking *haul* (emphasis) for that 3rd round pick and takes some deadwood off our books, I don't think we should be trading down.
Agreed.

The price is firm.

Seabrook(has to agree or no deal)
AA
Take money back on a first pair defenseman

We get
reduced price on first pair defender
#4-#9 slot(can't drop back too far, but I think this draft holds strong in top 10
3rd rounder
5th rounder 2020
2nd rounder 2020

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed.

The price is firm.

Seabrook(has to agree or no deal)
AA
Take money back on a first pair defenseman

We get
reduced price on first pair defender
#4-#9 slot(can't drop back too far, but I think this draft holds strong in top 10
3rd rounder
5th rounder 2020
2nd rounder 2020
I don't think any club takes it...but yeah, that would be fair. :)

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
My biggest concern is Bowman taking Caufield at three.

That's a huge concern. I can see Stan talking about having success with smaller players in DeBrincat and the "new" NHL.

Love Caufield, he's going to be a 25/30 goal scorer in the NHL in his prime, but not at 3.

Don't over think this gift, its the defenseman.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I see I'm bringing you all around to my fears.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
The obvious choice is Byram.

However, if we went with Pods and he doesn't come over for 2 years, i'd be cool with that because we can't ice a team that will be Cup-competitive in that timeframe anyway.