2019 Draft

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How did we get off Byram as the easy pick?

Turcotte is just too small for me. Pods I like, but he doesn't have the skill of the other guys up there, imo...he is just a freak strong early bloomer who will always be a strong man...at 17 is already 200 lbs of muscle and testosterone. But without the hands of the other guys could turn into Baun? in the NHL. Athletic freak but isn't a hockey god like Kappo, Hughes, Caughfield, Turcotte, etc.
IMHO among the FWDs likley at slot 3 Turcotte has the best hockeyIQ and the highest floor. The bigger guys, like Cozens/Dach have skating or hockeyIQ issues which means they're more of a risk.

Hard to judge the size of 18 year olds. Turcotte seems fine enough, and Zegras...but they are always going to get bullied some in the playoffs like Panarin. They play hard and tenacious, know what they are doing, and are skilled because they are in the ODP program...
It always is--and that's why I think the major thing about this draft is that the 'hawks have a bonafied chance at a core anchor going forward. Stan if he's smart enough to not think he's the smartest guy in the room can get a guy that's relatively low risk at hitting a low floor (like Barker).

I'm just leaning with what I have learned from LordKTL...

if a 3D is worth a 2C on the trade market...

why in the fuck would we pass on a 1D?
The real questions between Turcotte and Byram: "Why the fuck would we pass on the next Toews/Kopitar (Turcotte)?" or "Why the fuck would we pass on the next Doughty/Keith (Byram)?" IMO both of those slots are eventual needs if not current needs, but without some serious and possibly risky wheeling and dealing we can only get one.

The kid is 18...who cares about his fucking combine numbers. Or lung capacity...and what I mean by that is Byram is the right player for the current 3 year window left with 88/19.....
I think the window might be open longer than 3 years. While Keith and Seabrook are approaching Statler and Waldorf, Toews and especially Kane aren't there yet--and we can't forget about Debrincat & Strome among the FWDs. Our current core doesn't have to be in the drivers seat for the window to be open. Plus, I see no reason why Kane especially can't be an O Juggernaut for 5 more more years.

we can trade our young 3D and 4D for that 1/2LW we need to complete 3 scoring lines. Strome who I forgot does change things for us.
That is true. The other Devil's advocate side though is that it take shrewd trading--the type of trades that are at worst Schmaltz for Strome, or at best Elisson for Sharp.

Why take a Turcotte, Dach, or Zegras we have to develop when we can just take Byram and improve the D by next years playoffs.
The other side to this is if Byram plays. Keep in mind expansion is being held over the 'hawks head, and any prospect not named Joker who doesn't play next year is exempt. Fancy for a moment going into Seattle's expansion and them not being able to touch Byram (or Turcotte, or Kakko, Or Hughes if they fall), Beaudin, Boqvist, or Mitchell. That's a ton of nascent talent protected. Considering that Gus, KK, and Dahlstrom are signed through this coming season, there's no reason to rush anyone who doesn't blow everyone away in training camp.

The one player that gives me pause is Turcotte. A natural center in the Toews 200 foot mold with great knowledge of how to play and great skill at a premium position.
Exactly. It's why I'm 55/45 for Byram/Turcotte and if we get Turcotte I won't be upset. I think Byram has the edge over team needs but Turcotte still fills a couple of goatse-sized holes.

If we don't trade back and the pick is anything but

1. Kappo Kakko
2. Jack Hughes
3. Lord Byram
4. Turcotte

with an outside shoutout to Caufield...who probably is a Tyler Johnson or D Cat (plus faster) without too much projection and will score under the current way the NHL is played by the bunches.
I'd flip Hughes and Kakko, and I'm not sold on Caufield. But I sincerely hope we don't trade back unless there's a fucking haul--like a blue chip can't miss player/prospect, and they take on dead cap.

That being said if there's a consensus that one of our prospects might go the way of Hayes (Mitchell?) I could see them parlaying them and maybe someone like Saad to trade back into the 1st round.

The D cavalry is for sure coming in the next 18 months...
I'd say 24, but i like the cut of your jib.

My personal plan would be to offer whatever I can to move up to #2 and dangle Byram/Turcotte so we can have Jack Hughes or Kakko. I'd pay alot for that and think there is some separation to the rest of the pack.
I think that would mean losing someone like Debrincat. No thanks.

Turcotte/Byram do have great value...

outside of that...Dach/Zegras/Cozens/Pods...

I think you are playing the development projection "cute" game.... hands are every bit as inherited as speed or size...and I think Pods has not show the skill the rest of the top 10 have. He is just a beast who can play with men, has power on his shot...honestly reminds me of an angry Ryan Baun who developed 2-3 years earlier physiologically.

Again I will say Caufield certainly intrigues...I think you have a stocky low gravity speed weapon there that fits whats happening in the league. I've pointed out for years the Hawks need to get out of this build where they have a Hino/Shaw/Kane/Cat/Caufield etc on every line they roll out...I guess what I am acknowleding is Caufield and Byram probably have the highest floors.
The the 'hawks had a lower pick, or if they already has a Toews/Keith/Hossa heir-apparent, I'd say okay to Caufield. his overall game though is not BPA at pick 3 IMHO and we already have Kane and Debrincat.

I don't think you should have more than 2 of those guys that play 100 feet...but the elder Kane has perfected the way he turns the ice and hawks back on the forecheck, stealing whatever he wants and playing sturdy when needed...you might get away with 3...
Sorry man...you're not describing Kane, You're describing Hossa. one of these things doesn't belong here (sing along!). Kane's minor contribution to team D is puck posession and finding the soft outlet slots. Kane can't steal whenever he wants unless you're talking reading the pass--picking pockets whenever he wants? You're talking the Datsuyk/Hossa echelon there--the guys that Kopitar/Bergeron/Toews dream to be.

but Caufield on a trade down would mean the Hawks are playing 5-4 games for a while like the Leafs.
My opinion, but the way the 'hawks are currently constructed is all-O-no-D-Crawford-being-the-make-or-break-factor. Adding Caufield just moves the Team-O to slightly below Tampa--but the D still sucks at a level rivaled only by the Sens--the GF/GA split moves from being scored on at will to being almost even on the side of more goals for to against. Keep in mind, the leafs have a much, much, much much much better defense than the 'hawks. The immediate fix, be it from FWD or D, is to stop the hemorrhaging in the back end.

Couple that with Crawford beyond this coming year being a ?--just like the Goalie stable.

We NEED Byram unless we are absolutely certain Turcotte has a franchise player ceiling he will probably reach. That possibility does give me pause.

If its not that top 4 we got cute.
See above for my $0.02.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we put Hossa on this...
26ca9f9c-7060-4cce-b17f-8bb710a2548b._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

and come out of draft with Kakko...

I predict playoffs in 2019-20.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All about the BPA

Which should be Byram or Turcotte.

Goddamn...did Lord Byram evade security by playing spiderman out his window and jumping off the third story on synthetic weed like that football player from Mississipi?

I thought this was going to be easy?

Its my opinion that Lord Byram is clearly a top 3 "most valuable" player for the next 3 years.

Discerning which of the centers is going to be the BPA is in my opinion not something you can realistically do with children.

Be smart and take the valuable D man if you aren't getting Kakko/Hughes....

but Turcotte is the one I will bite my tongue and accept though it won't help us next year.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Well, prior to the Maatta trade (welp) i thought it about 75% likely the pick is Turcotte. I now believe that number is 90-95%.

And, oh, Stan is a dope. Passing on Byram will haunt us.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hughes Byram or Kakko are not a Hawk than Stan should be looking for another job.
I sincerely hope so, but best case realistically if he goes into the draft lobotomized he'll have this year with *his* coaches and *his* cronies. If they don't turn it around, he's gone. If they are marginally better he likely gets a year extra.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I sincerely hope so, but best case realistically if he goes into the draft lobotomized he'll have this year with *his* coaches and *his* cronies. If they don't turn it around, he's gone. If they are marginally better he likely gets a year extra.

Wouldn't he have to be extremely comfortable in his job to take anything other than Kakko who can help you now...Hughes whose name/hype helps his job now and play will help very soon...or Byram who can help now....

Doing anything else says he has the luxury to be cute and take the BPA and try to be the smartest guy in the room once again...even taking a player who won't be ours for some time.

If Bowman was urgent for his job you would think he would be locked onto the immediate guys.

I just think the Hawks roster situation says he should also be locked onto now.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they soured on Byram even a little I would think trading down would then become tantalizing.

I typically dislike drafting the local kid for a couple reasons. Derick Rose was an exception I was on board with, but Beasely was also a 6'7" PF. Rose was clearly the BPA and the MVPA

In the end Derick Rose staying so close to his expanded circle and family probably undid his value a couple times. Coming back from injury, and just not growing in his independence.

Last edited:

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If they soured on Byram even a little I would think trading down would then become tantalizing.

I typically dislike drafting the local kid for a couple reasons. Derick Rose was an exception I was on board with, but Beasely was also a 6'7" PF. He was the BPA and the MVPA

In the end Derick Rose staying so close to his expanded circle and family probably undid his value a couple times. Coming back from injury, and just not growing in his independence.

As annoying as his inner circle was the only thing that was really his undoing is his multiple acl tears. Other wise you telling me if lebron was from Chicago you wouldn’t have wanted him drafted by the bulls?

Either way I can’t get mad if they draft turcotte. I would be Very disappointed passing on byram he’s been my guy day 1. But at end of the day I don’t think turcotte is a bum and he does belong in the conversation for our pick. It’s just it seems like a damn no brainer to get byram with all our defense problems. It’s such a perfect opportunity.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...

can't trust rumors anyway this time of year. Stan could just be churning the fires behind him to see what kind of trades he can bate.

In the end Lord Byram looks to me the obvious move...unless he wasn't available and then it would be christmas morning.

Friday is almost here!!!

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Yeah...

can't trust rumors anyway this time of year. Stan could just be churning the fires behind him to see what kind of trades he can bate.

In the end Lord Byram looks to me the obvious move...unless he wasn't available and then it would be christmas morning.

Friday is almost here!!!

But we have been observing Stan in action for years, and snagging Turcotte at #3 (when Bryam is on the board) is a very Stan-like move.

If he has such a chubby for Turcotte as we all believe, why not trade down to #6 or #7 where he will likely still be available.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Always go with the guy that projects the higher ceiling. For me I want 5 things

1. Hockey IQ
2. Speed
3. Skill
4. Size
5. Grit

I do not think the pick will be Byram with Maatta on board. I feel The Grinch will be in Stan ear and go with the hometown kid, and use it as a marketing tool. Personally I think it should be Byram it's harder to acquire top pair potential D-man than top 6. For forwards I like Dach, Cozens, Zegras the more I read up on them.