Donator
Liked Posts:
And it is so.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Rask, did we dip back into the Meth again?

AZHawksFan8

Liked Posts:
I think we have a good shot in the next upcoming seasons. With the Seattle expansion draft coming up in 2021 I could see the following happening: Crawford not “held”: with his past 2 seasons being marked by devastating concussions and his age and contract expiring (2021, I believe) I could see him being a good pick for the new Seattle expansion team, who ill want a talented veteran goaltender. He still has a lot of game left in him and it’s not that he’s doing a bad job but it has kind of left him washy in whether or not he’s going to be healthy enough to play a full season. Also with Lankinen having a phenomenal year and worlds tournament I could see him being brought up this year and backing crow. Also I could see Boqvist, Jokiharju and Ryzcek being brought up to play with Seabs or Keith to gain some experience like they did last season. I also could see Keith or Seabrook not “held” by the hawks for the expansion draft. With their numbers dwindling and age they could also be good picks for the new Seattle team who, like Crawford, will be looking for veteran defenseman to start their team off

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would lmao if Seattle took Seabrook in the expansion draft.... Keith I could see.... he is older but can still physically/mentally play most of the time.

Seabrook has been out of the game physically for 2-3 years, and mentally 3-4 years.

He is no longer fast enough to stay with top 6 fwds.... he is no longer strong enough to muscle guys away from his goal tender and I haven't seen him really hit anyone in ages.

He best compares to Rozival whom stuck around with us because Q liked him and he was just smart enough to know he needed like 50 feet on any opposing player to back skate and still be in position to defend... and most of us knew we needed to get rid of Rozival 2-3 years before we did.

Seabrook can only truly play the 6 now... he is smart enough to remember where to be to sometimes block shots, but usually he is just too slow to get there.

Listen, I loved the guy when he was our 2 next to Keith.... he had just enough speed to mix with his physicality, and he knew where to be on both ends of the ice, and he could crank a solid slap shot from the point when needed, and he was a great supplementary leader behind Hossa, Keith, and Toews. But now he is here because of his contract and nothing else... he would be on the 3rd pair of most teams and they wouldn't want to pay him more than 800k -1.2M for his level of play.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think we have a good shot in the next upcoming seasons. With the Seattle expansion draft coming up in 2021 I could see the following happening: Crawford not “held”: with his past 2 seasons being marked by devastating concussions and his age and contract expiring (2021, I believe) I could see him being a good pick for the new Seattle expansion team, who ill want a talented veteran goaltender. He still has a lot of game left in him and it’s not that he’s doing a bad job but it has kind of left him washy in whether or not he’s going to be healthy enough to play a full season. Also with Lankinen having a phenomenal year and worlds tournament I could see him being brought up this year and backing crow. Also I could see Boqvist, Jokiharju and Ryzcek being brought up to play with Seabs or Keith to gain some experience like they did last season. I also could see Keith or Seabrook not “held” by the hawks for the expansion draft. With their numbers dwindling and age they could also be good picks for the new Seattle team who, like Crawford, will be looking for veteran defenseman to start their team off

In all likelihood this coming season will be Crawford's last. He's a non-factor in expansion. Even if it's not the 'hawks can protect a goalie and unless Lankinen can do it at the NHL level or Delia improves the 'hawks have no reason to unprotect their #1.

Keith, Seabrook, Toews, and Kane *have* to be protected unless they waive their NMC's--there's no other way around it--any contract with a No-movement clause irrespective of whether it's modified by a limited No-trade clause or not. They aren't going anywhere barring a compliance buy-out if the NHL or NHLPA walk out of the CBA this September and we are at risk for another lockout--and even then it's not a guarantee.

Based on the expansion rules, the 'hawks can either protect 8 skaters and a goalie, or 7 FWDs, 3D, and a goalie. So far 4 guys (the aforementioned) are protected, 2 FWDs and 2D. The only other guys in the *need* to protect that are fulltime NHL'ers are Debrincat and Strome.

Gus has to prove he can play defense this upcoming season. If he can't we likley trade his rights for a haul since he will command 5-7M on the open market. If he can, we likley keep/protect him.

Of the rest of our prospect D-men, only Joker is at risk of being exposed, but can be protected. If none of Boqvist/Beaudin/Mitchell (who's going to college next year so he's good) play next season they will be considered 1st/2nd year players and are automatically protected. Thus unless Gus is tagged as already expendable, I think all of them slide a year. Ditto with our #3 draft pick coming up.

With the roster as it is now, the likely expansion choice is Murphy or maybe Delia (if Delia doesn't play well enough to be a de facto #1). Even so, the 'hawks are in a great position to not lose anyone worthwhile, but on the flipside they can't expose any dead cap like Seabs unless he wants to waive, and given that his wife loves Chicago...well, if you're married you know that ain't happening.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I would lmao if Seattle took Seabrook in the expansion draft.... Keith I could see.... he is older but can still physically/mentally play most of the time.

Seabrook has been out of the game physically for 2-3 years, and mentally 3-4 years.

He is no longer fast enough to stay with top 6 fwds.... he is no longer strong enough to muscle guys away from his goal tender and I haven't seen him really hit anyone in ages.

He best compares to Rozival whom stuck around with us because Q liked him and he was just smart enough to know he needed like 50 feet on any opposing player to back skate and still be in position to defend... and most of us knew we needed to get rid of Rozival 2-3 years before we did.

Seabrook can only truly play the 6 now... he is smart enough to remember where to be to sometimes block shots, but usually he is just too slow to get there.

Listen, I loved the guy when he was our 2 next to Keith.... he had just enough speed to mix with his physicality, and he knew where to be on both ends of the ice, and he could crank a solid slap shot from the point when needed, and he was a great supplementary leader behind Hossa, Keith, and Toews. But now he is here because of his contract and nothing else... he would be on the 3rd pair of most teams and they wouldn't want to pay him more than 800k -1.2M for his level of play.
Brent is from just up the road in the Vancouver area, I could see him maybe wanting to get back there, I remember him making a big deal about taking the cup back one of the years I think. So maybe from his side it would be welcome, but then you still have to convince Seattle he's got something left.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Brent is from just up the road in the Vancouver area, I could see him maybe wanting to get back there, I remember him making a big deal about taking the cup back one of the years I think. So maybe from his side it would be welcome, but then you still have to convince Seattle he's got something left.

3uTFNaE.gif

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You also have to convince his wife to either let him move there and spend more time away from home, or convince her to move there. Granted, the same would go with just about any other team.

Honestly, I'm still hoping for a compliance buy-out.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
You also have to convince his wife to either let him move there and spend more time away from home, or convince her to move there. Granted, the same would go with just about any other team.

Honestly, I'm still hoping for a compliance buy-out.
Well, sure, but I think she's canadian too? Calgary or something. I don't think it's a possibilty, but a boy can dream. Why would they want to uproot their kids and such at this point if they don't have to.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, sure, but I think she's canadian too? Calgary or something. I don't think it's a possibilty, but a boy can dream. Why would they want to uproot their kids and such at this point if they don't have to.
If my wife taught me anything on this--it's not about where she's from, it's about where she wants to be. If Seabs' lady came out to the media saying she loves Chicago, we'd need the Jaws of Life™ to pry her away from it. I think the same hapend with Soupy and his wife.

Anyhow, It is a conundrum since we got about 5 years left of him, and that's a hell of a lot of money to leave on the table. You'd have to think his wife would probably be against him being traded with her staying in Chi-town, and you'd also have to think based on her media comments she'd be loathe to uproot her family. Barring a compliance buy-out, The only other option I can see that would satisfy everything is Prongering him even though he's not a recapture risk. However, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that the CBA opt-out happens, and part of the negotiations for the next one might effectively bar the Prongering option