Alex DeBrincat

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
On Monday, the Hawks inked their 2016 second-round draft pick to a three-year entry-level deal.

Remember him from the preseason?

And the Hawks' youngster is doing real, real well this year, as you can read about in the two articles below:

Let's take a minute to get way too excited about Alex DeBrincat
Here's an except from TCI and you can read the rest of the story by clicking here

So far in just 14 games, Top Cat has 17 goals and 18 assists for 34 points. He’s also averaging almost five shots per game at 4.8.

I was curious what became of players the past few years who have averaged two points per game in the O. It has happened, and while the OHL is pretty free-wheeling it’s not the QMJHL. There are certainly some names here.

Last year, two players averaged two points per game in the OHL. They are Christian Dvorak and Mitch Marner. Both are in the NHL now, with Marner already impressing. Two years ago, three players did it. Marner did it again, Sam Bennett did it also, and then there was some slapdick player named McDavid who did it as well.

Three years ago no one averaged more than two points per game. The highest were McDavid at 1.77 per game and Connor Brown at 1.88. Brown is also in the NHL, but he’s the first name to serve an apprenticeship in the AHL. Though that’s with the Maple Leafs, who had their own plan. Four years ago again no one did it, with Galchenyuk leading the league at 1.85. He too jumped straight to the NHL. Behind him was Ryan Strome at 1.77, who then played 37 games in the NHL the next year while bouncing between the Show and the A. And finally, five years ago some jamoke named Saad led the league at 1.77 points per game, and he was in the NHL the very next season as well. Though due to the lockout he did get a half-season in Rockford.

Obviously, very early. But the Hawks may have something here.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
On Monday, the Hawks inked their 2016 second-round draft pick to a three-year entry-level deal.

Remember him from the preseason?

And the Hawks' youngster is doing real, real well this year, as you can read about in the two articles below:

Let's take a minute to get way too excited about Alex DeBrincat
Here's an except from TCI and you can read the rest of the story by clicking here

Obviously, very early. But the Hawks may have something here.

Can't wait to see him play at a higher level. Great potential we have.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When can we shove him into the LW spot on the top line with Toews and Kane? Today?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Previously I thought he couldn't play in the AHL next year since he'll be 19 to start the year but since he waa born December 97, he can. I was wondering why bother signing him this year.

But yeah at the ohls year end he will likely get some looks but might be down in Rockford next year

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
When can we shove him into the LW spot on the top line with Toews and Kane? Today?

Wouldn't be totally shocking to see him get the call-up after the OHL season ends.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Exciting numbers, but I want to make sure he can do that over a full season.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah...Debricat and Bondra should get a look together after OHL season.

I have asked here, and tried to figure it out on the interweb a bit...

but can anyone answer if they will be able to play enough games after OHL ends to qualify for the playoff roster? I think Debricat is skilled enough to contribute, and Bondra is big/strong enough to.

Unless McNeil is born again, these two really represent the best talent for an elite player to emerge from the farm.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Yeah...Debricat and Bondra should get a look together after OHL season.

I have asked here, and tried to figure it out on the interweb a bit...

but can anyone answer if they will be able to play enough games after OHL ends to qualify for the playoff roster? I think Debricat is skilled enough to contribute, and Bondra is big/strong enough to.

Unless McNeil is born again, these two really represent the best talent for an elite player to emerge from the farm.

I believe that any player signed by a team before the trade deadline is eligible to be on a teams playoff roster.

The example I give with this is how Peter Forsberg comeback rumors always got real hot around the trade deadline because teams wanted to sign him by then so that he could be part of the playoffs roster.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
When does that happen?

Well if his team made it, the Memorial Cup is from May 19-28.

Regular season ends in mid/late March. But if he plays 10(?) games, that forfeits the first year of his entry-level and the Hawks may not want to do that.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5'7" 165lbs

He is an exciting prospect but how much of a factor will his size be?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
5'7" 165lbs

It certainly will be. And that part of the story sounds awfully familiar, doesn't it?

The hope is that his skill overcomes any deficiencies with his size.

It's hard to make a Kane comparison because Kane is a once-in-a-generation type of talent and I wouldn't want to put that on DeBrincat. Maybe more like Johnny Hockey, who's 5-9, 157 but posted 64 and 78 point seasons already

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When does that happen?

D-melt beat me to it.

And right now the Erie Otters are sitting on top of the OHL, so you might have to figure playoffs/memorial cup.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
5'7" 165lbs

Sounds like another Teuvo.... will need to stick him with Jordin TooToo so Eskimo Bigfoot can beat ass if anyone tries to kill him.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The interesting thing is DeBrincat doesn't play soft and also goes to the net with that size. It won't be a Teuvo worry but more can he withstand the size.

He has been playing center some time this year and is doing well on draws so he may get more nhl chances with that flexibility.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like another Teuvo.... will need to stick him with Jordin TooToo so Eskimo Bigfoot can beat ass if anyone tries to kill him.

some call that a Yeti. Or in English, the Abominable Snowman.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The interesting thing is DeBrincat doesn't play soft and also goes to the net with that size. It won't be a Teuvo worry but more can he withstand the size.

He has been playing center some time this year and is doing well on draws so he may get more nhl chances with that flexibility.

He doesn't need to worry about chances he is an NHL player. Hawks struck again.

I think he is Shawzie with great hands and intelligence. That would make him a top 6 player instead of the bottom 6 Shaw was.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
In a move that surprised a whole hell of a lot of people, DeBrincat was cut from the US team currently preparing for the World Juniors.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah...his game is more like Tampa's Johnson. A net front guy with faster hands than your defenders. Faster mind than your goalie. Just demon gobbles everything loose and has intuitive sense to get out of harms way and is always going to be the quickest skater.