Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I just recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX's from massdrop, a pair I've been wanting for quite a while now. Problem is, I need something to drive them. I'm pretty settled on the DarkVoice 336SE, but I need a DAC to pair it with. Just gimme some suggestions and I'll look into it, don't really want to go over $400 for a DAC. I'm a newb to this stuff so a lot of differing info is making this decision extremely difficult.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The DV336 seems to be a bit hit in the mid-range headphone amp class. Really killing it for the price for prebuilts. You can't go wrong.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I was looking at the jotunheim, lyr, and bifrost, but decided to come off schiit in general because I haven't heard any good things about how they're built. That's basically what sent me into my frustrating search lol.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
The DV336 seems to be a bit hit in the mid-range headphone amp class. Really killing it for the price for prebuilts. You can't go wrong.
If I can catch it on massdrop, it's only $200. I've decided it's either that or the bottlehead crack. Both continually have popped up in my searches for amps for the hd650s. I'm leaning towards another massdrop for a dac as well, one that I heard goes great with the bottlehead. The airist audio R-2R. I'm hoping I can maybe catch a deal on the bottlehead. I don't think I've heard anything negative about it, but the price being double the darkvoice is the only sticking point. Luckily I'm not in any huge rush, so I can kind of wait on price and see what kind of deal I can get. I signed up to be notified by massdrop for the amp and dac, but I'm gonna have to keep a eye on the bottlehead myself. I just don't want to get something I'll be unsatisfied with as this is a hobby that can get expensive really fast.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was looking at the jotunheim, lyr, and bifrost, but decided to come off schiit in general because I haven't heard any good things about how they're built. That's basically what sent me into my frustrating search lol.

That's odd. I've read good reviews of lots of their stuff.
I don't own any myself.
I'm running NAD3020D integrated with Martin Logan LX16 bookshelves and SVS SB-2000 sub in my computer room.
The sub is way too big for the room. (sounds fucking great though) That's why I was considering the LS50Ws for the other room and move the sub over there.

Thought about component setup with bigger Martin Logans or something. (love the ribbon tweeter!)
I just don't think the LS50Ws can be beat on price with all the matched hardware in them though.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
image_preview2

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/martinlogan-neolith-loudspeaker-review

Someday....

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I can catch it on massdrop, it's only $200. I've decided it's either that or the bottlehead crack. Both continually have popped up in my searches for amps for the hd650s. I'm leaning towards another massdrop for a dac as well, one that I heard goes great with the bottlehead. The airist audio R-2R. I'm hoping I can maybe catch a deal on the bottlehead. I don't think I've heard anything negative about it, but the price being double the darkvoice is the only sticking point. Luckily I'm not in any huge rush, so I can kind of wait on price and see what kind of deal I can get. I signed up to be notified by massdrop for the amp and dac, but I'm gonna have to keep a eye on the bottlehead myself. I just don't want to get something I'll be unsatisfied with as this is a hobby that can get expensive really fast.

On this point.... I think it happens to lots of people leading to really good deals on lightly and barely used stuff.
Are you familiar with https://hifishark.com ?

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Massdrop? Used them for the first time today to order this Sony soundbar. List $1500 and picked it up for $890 delivered

sony-ht-st5000-soundbar-42748.jpg

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
That's odd. I've read good reviews of lots of their stuff.
I don't own any myself.

Same here as far as reviews. As I dug more though, I found someone that had taken it apart and it was shoddy build quality. After that, I started finding more of the same, enough to push me off anyway. Then I started to find more and more people that go for tube amps with the Senns.

I've been pretty frustrated the last few days to say the least, reading as much as I have and not getting any real clear information. There's always too many people throwing out numbers, only a few that actually tell me how they think it sounds. I know sound can vary by person, but at least it would give me a sense if people were telling me more about sound quality, as opposed to the tech specs of the unit.

On this point.... I think it happens to lots of people leading to really good deals on lightly and barely used stuff.
Are you familiar with https://hifishark.com ?

I have now lol. Thanks.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
So my HD 6XX's just came in and I already can tell the difference over my HD598's (not nearly as impressive as the 598s over my Beats, but that wasn't expected), but I really need that amp/dac combo. I can tell they aren't being pushed properly. The vocals are amazing though. Can't wait to get my whole setup. Going to keep breaking them in, even though I think the 598s are probably better for my current PC setup. Still gonna keep the 598s for PlayStation gaming though. Think I'm gonna get this DAC with the bottlehead crack amp:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
So my HD 6XX's just came in and I already can tell the difference over my HD598's (not nearly as impressive as the 598s over my Beats, but that wasn't expected), but I really need that amp/dac combo. I can tell they aren't being pushed properly. The vocals are amazing though. Can't wait to get my whole setup. Going to keep breaking them in, even though I think the 598s are probably better for my current PC setup. Still gonna keep the 598s for PlayStation gaming though. Think I'm gonna get this DAC with the bottlehead crack amp:

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-airist-audio-r-2r-dac
You bought Beats? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

TL1961

Liked Posts:

"Hmmm....I don't really like good sound, and I have some extra money I am trying to get rid of.....I guess I should buy Beats. They advertise a lot, and that's enough for me!"

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
"Hmmm....I don't really like good sound, and I have some extra money I am trying to get rid of.....I guess I should buy Beats. They advertise a lot, and that's enough for me!"
Alright then

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
And got rid of them years ago because they weren't worth the price. It's not like I was bragging about recently buying a toshiba or anything.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those Senns look pretty nice.
I said fuck it and got Bowers & Wilkins PX

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Those Senns look pretty nice.
I said fuck it and got Bowers & Wilkins PX

Are you happy with the NAD D 3020? I mean, there are definitely better headphone amps out there, but the D 3020 is a great all round small amp for speakers, and PCs. And versatile. Only problem for me is the display has dimmed, likely because I originally had it on its side, instead of upright.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ Yeah. I'm happy with it. It's not the best shit ever or anything but it's fine for a smaller room setup. The buttons on top are finicky but I rarely do anything other than turn the volume knob. I like the size and how it stands. I can fit it on my desk between my monitors.