Apparently the dodgers placed Puig on waviers

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The Dodgers recently placed outfielder on waivers, but pulled him back after he was claimed by an unreported team, ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark reports on Twitter. It’s obviously no surprise that Puig was claimed, even though he has not been produced as expected this year, or that the claiming team was unable to work out a deal with Los Angeles. The news does mean that Puig can no longer be traded this season, as any attempt to do so would require the Dodgers to expose him again to waivers without the right to claw back his rights.

Not sure I get this one. He's been worth 9.4 fWAR the past two seasons and while he's down noticeably this year he's just 24. I suppose there's the clubhouse aspect but still seems like you'd be far better off trying to fix that rather than trade him.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
That's crazy. I've heard a bit about him being bad for the clubhouse, but what exactly is he doing that's so cancerous?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It is pretty normal.
Kemp went on wavers also. I don't think there is much to it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
It is pretty normal.
Kemp went on wavers also. I don't think there is much to it.

It's not usual for a 24 year old. He's not even making that much money.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
They are in 1st Place. It's highly unusual for a 1st place team in August to put a player of his magnitude at such a young age with a relatively low salary on wavers.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think we can come to logical conclusions as to why they would do this.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think we can come to logical conclusions as to why they would do this.

I think he's on a team with a lot of old school baseball thinking. His exuberance and on field antics put him on the wrong side of those folks quite a while back. The rift has only grown since then and I'm certain a fair amount of that is on him. He's an immensely talented player and I think a change of scenery might do him a lot of good. I'd be pretty sure that after this his agent thinks so too. A trade is likely in the winter.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I think he's on a team with a lot of old school baseball thinking. His exuberance and on field antics put him on the wrong side of those folks quite a while back. The rift has only grown since then and I'm certain a fair amount of that is on him. He's an immensely talented player and I think a change of scenery might do him a lot of good. I'd be pretty sure that after this his agent thinks so too. A trade is likely in the winter.
You said it a lot more eloquently than I could have.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I won't. He is an asshole from all account. Did y'all hear the Grienke story? Every account says Puig is a huge dick and has an enormous head. He will have to come back down to Earth but I think he is worn out his welcome with the Dodgers.

Oh and he is having a down year. He looks like a zombie at the plate. He looks completely lost and like he doesn't give a shit.

I think he is the case of taking a very poor person given the world in such a short time period that he had/has no idea how to handle it.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I won't. He is an asshole from all account. Did y'all hear the Grienke story? Every account says Puig is a huge dick and has an enormous head. He will have to come back down to Earth but I think he is worn out his welcome with the Dodgers.

Oh and he is having a down year. He looks like a zombie at the plate. He looks completely lost and like he doesn't give a shit.

I think he is the case of taking a very poor person given the world in such a short time period that he had/has no idea how to handle it.

I've heard a lot of that stuff, I just question which came first the chicken or the egg? I have no doubt that this he's behaved badly but I had a conversation late last year with a guy that covered the Dodgers for all of 2013 and most of 2014 and he maintained that part of problem was that his teammates didn't like his big personality or his on field antics, the bat flip and such from day one and they also didn't like that he was instant superstar. He was definitely a different kind of guy from the beginning but he did play with passion (until this year). After a while he became hostile to them and they became more hostile to him. Again I'm not saying he's done nothing wrong, clearly he has, I do think though that there's more too it than just Puig being an asshole. If he goes to another team and the cycle repeats itself then we'll know I'm wrong but I have no skin in the game so I really don't care either way except that I hate to see such a talent go to waste.

sycked

Liked Posts:
Practically every player on an MLB roster is placed on revocable waivers in August. This is a non-story.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Practically every player on an MLB roster is placed on revocable waivers in August. This is a non-story.

If this were true why aren't there reports of Soler/Bryant/Russell...etc? Quite clearly the players who get put on waivers are universally post-rookie deal vets. Otherwise there's no reason to put a player on waivers in the first place. Puig is a 24 year old making $6.2 mil with a remaining 3 years $24.6 mil on his deal. In terms of a starter at the major league level that is absolutely nothing. Going rate for wins in FA last year was around $7 mil per win so at roughly $8 mil the next three years Puig would be worth a little over 1 WAR a season. Anymore than that and he's a value. As such, it's quite clear this is a different situation than the norm.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

If that were the case, and i'm not exactly disagreeing with you, why wait until now to do it? Surely a team like Philly would have jumped at the chance for a change of scenery play on him prior to the dead line. Seems difficult to believe he wouldn't have some pretty huge trade value even with the club house issues.

Also on a semi-tangent here, I don't get the whole club house thing personally. Baseball is often more of an individual sport than other team sports. In the batters box it's just you and while there is obviously some coordination on defense it's not like we're talking about an OT blocking for an asshole QB he hates here. If he were a MI maybe you argue that they have to be more on the same page but in the outfield there's less of an issue there. I mean we've all had jobs where you went to work with a dick but it's not even like you have to interact with him if you don't want to for the most part.

If it were me it would be down to whether or not the guy helps me win.

Liked Posts:
Puig for Castro. It would relieve both teams of excess at those positions and fill in areas that lack depth with all star potential. Puig on the Cubs has a higher ceiling than Castro

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think teams do this to test the level of interest in players. At least it starts the talks that such player might be on the market in the off season.

In reality he was not going to pass wavers. Now the Dodgers know he has trade value in the off season regardless of his history.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think teams do this to test the level of interest in players. At least it starts the talks that such player might be on the market in the off season.

In reality he was not going to pass wavers. Now the Dodgers know he has trade value in the off season regardless of his history.

EXACTLY, probably nothing more than entertaining trade interests.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

Probably but again my question would be why not do this prior to the trade deadline? What this suggests to me is they probably did try prior to the deadline to move him and weren't able to find a workable deal. The fact that they put him on waivers probably means they are highly motivated to move him. If you contrast this with Hamels being put on waivers last year it's entirely different. I think Hamels is a good case for judging the particular value he had going into the offseason as a pretense for trades in the offseason. The difference here is that Philly wasn't even close to contention where as the dodgers are in the playoff hunt and Puig is a starter for them.

You have to imagine that any remaining goodwill on his part with the team is out the door once you see he's put on waivers. So, I disagree that it's "not a big deal" as some have suggested. A playoff contending team doesn't throw a starter on waivers for shits in giggles. For example, you don't hear reports of Rizzo on waivers which is probably a pretty fair compassion in terms of age/talent. The obvious reason is the cubs probably love Rizzo and view him as part of the future where as seemingly the dodgers don't view Puig the same way.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Wait a minute.... I thought the Cubs were crazy to let Pig go?