Artemi Panarin apologizes for racially-charged comments

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Story from the Trib is here

On the video, which could be viewed on YouTube as recently as Monday night, Panarin and his former KHL teammate Yaroslav Tulyakov ask each other questions in Russian from a list. One question was "What would you do if you never played hockey?"

At one point, Tulyakov asks Panarin a question along the lines of "What could you never do?" according to three Russian-speaking sources who viewed the video. Panarin replies, "Have sex with a black woman," according to all three sources.

A few usual places have been up in arms about this comment. Worth noting that the video is from 2012, when Panarin would've been 20 years old.

I just can't muster the outrage that some people have over this. It's a terrible thing to say, but Russia isn't exactly known for its diversity and he was 20 at the time. I hope his views have changed since then. It's not like we're ever going to know because he barely speaks our language and God knows the Hawks certainly won't let him do any interviews now.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I see absolutely no reason why he should have had to apologize.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Even if he was American.... everyone has their right to sexual preference.... if he never wants to have sex with a black woman that is his choice.

Unless there is more to what he said, what he said was not offensive or racist, it was not disparaging black women or black people.... he just said he wouldn't ever fuck a black woman.... and he was 20 as DMelt said.... his views may have changed, or not.

It is one thing to say "I would never have sex with a black woman" versus "I would never fuck one of them dirty ape people!"

One is him expressing his preference, the other is him expressing his preference and some terribly racist views.

If all he said was the former, I will side with the inevitable horde of right-leaning people yelling snowflakes on this one.... this really should not be a big deal.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I think the implication was that black women were inferior somehow, not just that he wasn't attracted to them. That's the source of the outrage, I believe.

The video is no longer up on YouTube and I don't speak Russian, so I have no idea how to provide any additional context.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the implication was that black women were inferior somehow, not just that he wasn't attracted to them. That's the source of the outrage, I believe.

The video is no longer up on YouTube and I don't speak Russian, so I have no idea how to provide any additional context.

If that is the case, yeah it is going to upset people cause you are making racist statements.

Young men say dumb shit.... he apologized as he should, just to cover his ass and to cover the ass of the Blackhawks.

If he was getting drunk under contract and spouting racism openly, then he would need to be disciplined by the Hawks.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah....how many of us got through puberty without a comment like this at high school lunch hour.

Maybe it wasn't black women for you. I think I claimed to not like Indian(India) women. A great movie from there is "The Man Who Would be King" with Sean Connery and Michael Caine. I think the lead bridal character changed my opinion on that.

Anyway...Russia is extremely racist toward individuals of African descent right now along with most of Europe so this isn't surprising in the least, but drama we don't need.

I just have one question after this little dustup?

3 years and NHL hockey fame later living in Chicago has he fucked a black woman yet? My girlfriend is halfsies and I highly recommend the experience.

I think that is something stupid boys say but if you are flirted with by a real beauty from any creed she will destroy your "preference" prototype.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Better a learned lesson on how the American Media would handle anything like this...and even just for realizing you are always on tape these days.

Better a 2012 issue easily swept under the rug so he and the rest of team think about keeping their opinions to themselves.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

I also think it has more to do with the "Hockey is For Everyone," and inclusion activities the Black Hawks and the NHL have been doing this year as well. But yeah, I still think it's much ado about nothing.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just hope this lowers his asking price somehow in the future so we can afford to keep him. haha. I keeeed I keeeed.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Shit. I thought it was a funny little zinger.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least he didn't rape anybody. AMIRITE? I'll be here all day. Call me tomorrow. Alright. ok. Too soon?

Reactions: 1ke

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe my context is wrong, but I read this as, "What would you do if you never played hockey--what could you never do?" Or, if he never played hockey, was was the one thing he think he couldn't pull off.

So I took it like he was looking for some Jungle Love (O-ee-O-ee-O), and they were upset that he was looking at black women as a piece of meat.

Weird.

Still, it's all pink on the inside.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Now we just need IB's thought here to really bring the thread full-circle.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So he has to apologize for something he said 5 years ago. What a crock of shit, god forbid someone pulls up something i said years ago.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So he has to apologize for something he said 5 years ago. What a crock of shit, god forbid someone pulls up something i said years ago.

This is really a cover your ass and cover your employer (The Hawks) ass.

It is not a big deal, but saying "Sorry that was wrong, I was young and dumb" is easier than going "What's the problem?" and inviting an avalanche of bad press.

Like saying sorry to your wife rather than arguing.... not that this example really applies in the Bigfoot house.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Worth noting that the video is from 2012, when Panarin would've been 20 years old. ...I hope his views have changed since then.

...and he may have been joking or just said it for shock value. It's not like he said it on numerous occasions. One off, bad joke, at worst, IMHO. I'm sure some black players and First Nationers - and Inuits, like Tootoo, especially when he was drinking - have heard much worse from some of their colleagues.

NUNAVUT – "Our Land" | Jordin Tootoo Official Website
http://www.jordintootoo.com/nunavut

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hey, it's his call. But I'd find it real hard to believe that he wouldn't "jump to attention" if Halle Berry approached him.