Attention Guests Not Signed Up

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
wow,umm...amazing how this thread gets turned around? shameful :)

That's a good point. I have no clue how that happen.

Edit: Actully I do, someone brought a different topic.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
CC will go to the Yanks, along with Cliff Lee. They will offer the most. The Yanks would like another P and there is a need for OF.

Crawford definitely will not go to the Yankees. I think he is too classy of a guy to pull a Johnny Damon. Plus, the Yanks have Gardner in LF and Swisher in RF. I think they will take their shot with Gardner.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crawford definitely will not go to the Yankees. I think he is too classy of a guy to pull a Johnny Damon. Plus, the Yanks have Gardner in LF and Swisher in RF. I think they will take their shot with Gardner.

Lets say this, the Yanks will pursue because they have the money and want to win. But, like you said, I don't think CC will go there. Well, I hope he does not.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Ricketts is going to let the fan base die?

:lmao:

Wow...

Sure we might lose some of the bandwagon fans that jumped on in 2007-2008.

Considering we've had practically millions of fans for years and years and years.. This fan base isn't going to "die".

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Wow...

Considering we've had practically millions of fans for years and years and years.. This fan base isn't going to "die".

well....i disagree. if i had to watch 03, than 07 and 08 and now this, i would jump off a cliff. so im thinking there will be a lot of cliff jumpers which makes for a fan base dying....literally

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well....i disagree. if i had to watch 03, than 07 and 08 and now this, i would jump off a cliff. so im thinking there will be a lot of cliff jumpers which makes for a fan base dying....literally

We'll still have at least just as many or more fans in the seats than your side of town. Even if you win another one soon.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Wow...

Have you seen the turn out for these games? The Ricketts are losing money. They are going to have fans complaining, stupidly, that they haven't done anything to win. Which, I might add, they have. It's the average fan, where the money comes from. Last year, now this year, they are going to have to do something to win over the average fan. A Big FA would do that.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Have you seen the turn out for these games? The Ricketts are losing money. They are going to have fans complaining, stupidly, that they haven't done anything to win. Which, I might add, they have. It's the average fan, where the money comes from. Last year, now this year, they are going to have to do something to win over the average fan. A Big FA would do that.

Sure we don't sell out every seat. The vast majority are still full.

Realistically, we can still have a 100 million dollar payroll.. Have around 20k seats sold every game. Plus food and drink sales. Plus TV contracts..

Ricketts aren't maximizing their profits.. They aren't really losing either.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We'll still have at least just as many or more fans in the seats than your side of town. Even if you win another one soon.

That's not that point. The Cubs are known for sellout crowds, the Sox aren't. The Cubs also have a lot bigger payroll than the Sox. It's not a competition against them, it's a competition, for lack of a better word, against the fans.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's not that point. The Cubs are known for sellout crowds, the Sox aren't. The Cubs also have a lot bigger payroll than the Sox. It's not a competition against them, it's a competition, for lack of a better word, against the fans.

More of a comparison point than a competition really.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure we don't sell out every seat. The vast majority are still full.

Realistically, we can still have a 100 million dollar payroll.. Have around 20k seats sold every game. Plus food and drink sales. Plus TV contracts..

Ricketts aren't maximizing their profits.. They aren't really losing either.

That doesn't make them money. They need to make money, considering they sold off a lot of their assets in order to buy the club. He needs to win the fans over now, not when Fielder is out there. It now becomes not JUST about the money, but also the fans and how they are going to feel about the family.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That doesn't make them money. They need to make money, considering they sold off a lot of their assets in order to buy the club. He needs to win the fans over now, not when Fielder is out there. It now becomes not JUST about the money, but also the fans and how they are going to feel about the family.

Hmm..

I guess an average of 35000 seats sold a game. Lets figure 30000 of those are $40 or more a piece.. Some at $75 or more. 81 home games a year.

Plus beer, food sales. Which in most MLB stadium estimates can reach a million a game for income.

Plus Merchandise sales.. $25-30 for a player t shirt.. $90-120 for the different types of jerseys.. That is a ton of income right there.

TV contract is easily in the millions with WGN, Comcast..

-----

You also have to figure that the Ricketts family does technically have more capital built in then just what they spent/borrowed for the Cubs ownership.

They run the Cubs as a separate entity from the minimal stock holdings in Ameritrade and other investments.
-----

So like I said before.. Sure they aren't maximizing profits. They aren't losing much either.

Winning trumps all.. In a big market. You're gonna make money no matter what you do in most cases.

-----

I think with how fans feel about the family will be decided in the future, not after one bad season.

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmm..

I guess an average of 35000 seats sold a game. Lets figure 30000 of those are $40 or more a piece.. Some at $75 or more. 81 home games a year.

Plus beer, food sales. Which in most MLB stadium estimates can reach a million a game for income.

Plus Merchandise sales.. $25-30 for a player t shirt.. $90-120 for the different types of jerseys.. That is a ton of income right there.

TV contract is easily in the millions with WGN, Comcast..

-----

You also have to figure that the Ricketts family does technically have more capital built in then just what they spent/borrowed for the Cubs ownership.

They run the Cubs as a separate entity from the minimal stock holdings in Ameritrade and other investments.
-----

So like I said before.. Sure they aren't maximizing profits. They aren't losing much either.

Winning trumps all.. In a big market. You're gonna make money no matter what you do in most cases.

-----

I think with how fans feel about the family will be decided in the future, not after one bad season.

The average fan is the "demographic"(not sure what the word to use is) that they need to be worried about. Sure, fans like myself will go to games no matter how the team is. But it's the average fan that spends their money. For a team like the Cubs to break even or be anywhere close to that is absolutely terrible. This team can sell out every game. We can do a lot.

If the Ricketts do nothing in the first 2 years, the average fan, who is a lot stupider, yes stupider, than you and I, is going to think that it's automatically their fault. It's not. The Ricketts can not afford this, especially with all the promises they have made to the fans. There is no way that it happens.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The average fan is the "demographic"(not sure what the word to use is) that they need to be worried about. Sure, fans like myself will go to games no matter how the team is. But it's the average fan that spends their money. For a team like the Cubs to break even or be anywhere close to that is absolutely terrible. This team can sell out every game. We can do a lot.

If the Ricketts do nothing in the first 2 years, the average fan, who is a lot stupider, yes stupider, than you and I, is going to think that it's automatically their fault. It's not. The Ricketts can not afford this, especially with all the promises they have made to the fans. There is no way that it happens.

I don't think we have that many of the "average fans". Sure we're gonna lose some fans.. at least they will go into hiding.. I think its just an overblown thought.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think we have that many of the "average fans". Sure we're gonna lose some fans.. at least they will go into hiding.. I think its just an overblown thought.

You have to be kidding. We are the Cubs. We are in a big market, there are tons of average fans. Plus, most baseball fans are absolutely Special person.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
And if the Cubs aren't entertaining... they aren't going to come.
The Cubs have been piss poor and they still managed to sell out. They're called the "Loveable Losers" for a reason

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs have been piss poor and they still managed to sell out. They're called the "Loveable Losers" for a reason

They sell out, but a blind man could see that the seats aren't filled. That won't happen next year if they are crappy. People won't buy the tickets. And people not being in the seats means less jerseys, concessions, beer.