Barnwell: Revenge of the Defenses

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25603636/revenge-nfl-defenses-teams-flipped-script-next

While Matt Nagy will rightfully get serious consideration for Coach of the Year, it's Vic Fangio's defense that is propelling the Bears into the postseason. The Bears rank first in defensive win expectancy but just 17th on offense and 22nd in win expectancy on passing plays. The only likely playoff team to get less out of its passing attack this season is the Ravens. The Bears are wedged between the Dolphins and Panthers in terms of passing win probability added.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like stats but I don't need them to know that the defense is for the most part that good that its allowing the offense to put drives together at its own pace.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I’d also argue that our offense is pretty damn good at time of possession/ball control which keeps our defense from wearing down occasionally.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I’d also argue that our offense is pretty damn good at time of possession/ball control which keeps our defense from wearing down occasionally.

for all the criticism hurled at Trubisky, consider that we're long beyond the Grossman/Orton/Cutler thing where they start games with 3 and outs and shit. they took years off Brad Maynard's life. he just finds ways to get first downs.

his issues are all mental, I don't think he has any physical limitations that will hamper his ability to play quarterback. I think we've all forgotten he had limited reps even in college, and the John Fox year is a mulligan cause he was handcuffed the entire season save 1 or 2 games. to go from the stone age to running a Nagy offense has to be a huge leap.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Nagy’s choice to persuade Fangio to stay means he made a head coach decision. If he was already her or not, he still had to choose who he wanted for defensive coordinator. It wasn’t guaranteed as well that Fangio would stay. So even if it is Fangio’s defense the reason we are winning, it still Nagy that made that happen.

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I sure hope that Fangio has an understudy, because I think he will get further consideration for a HC job somewhere.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nagy’s choice to persuade Fangio to stay means he made a head coach decision. If he was already her or not, he still had to choose who he wanted for defensive coordinator. It wasn’t guaranteed as well that Fangio would stay. So even if it is Fangio’s defense the reason we are winning, it still Nagy that made that happen.

I think that was a combined effort with Pace and Nagy. I feel like both of them gave Fangio his due respect and power within the coaching tree to make him comfortable enough with the situation and ultimately re-signing.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I think that was a combined effort with Pace and Nagy. I feel like both of them gave Fangio his due respect and power within the coaching tree to make him comfortable enough with the situation and ultimately re-signing.

I agree with that. But still he had a say on that. He could easily had told Pace he wanted another defensive coordinator. But I do think they both agreed they wanted to retain him.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh yeah of course, IMO they both took the "if it ain't broke don't fix it approach" to wanting to keep up that good defensive play while the offense caught up. As you mentioned it ultimately was Fangio's call anyways. It just sure as hell helps when his peers show some love and respect.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Look no further than the SF game last Sunday......I stated this before but the 9ers were selling out against the long pass and Trubisky was pushing them down the field eating up clock.....the Bears had 11 more minutes in TOP than the Niners....