Bears Grades by Pick

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Grades: 2012 NFL Draft Round 1 - NFL - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

No. 19: Bears select: Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
He is a good football player, but he will have to play with his hand down in this defense. He has done that before, but some saw him as an outside rush linebacker.

Grade B

No. 45: Bears select: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina

They need receivers, but what are they getting, a 235-pound guy or a 215-pound player. He doesn't have speed, which they need opposite Brandon Marshall. Why him?

Grade C

No. 79: Bears select: Brandon Hardin, FS, Oregon State
Can play corner and safety. He missed all of last season, but he has cover skills. That's what you need at safety. Solid pick.

Grade B

No. 111: Bears select: Evan Rodriguez, FB, Temple
Rodriguez brings a Swiss Army Knife skillset as a blocker and receiver as well as a thick build and fluid athleticism. Mike Martz did his best to kill of the tight end position in Chicago, but Rodriguez could bring it back to life.

Grade A-

No. 184: Bears select: Isaiah Frey, CB, Nevada
Frey looks the part with good size and speed, but likely lacks the technique and coverage skills to help the Bears. No word on whether he is related to Walder Frey from Game of Thrones.

Grade C-

No. 220: Bears select: Greg McCoy, CB, TCU
A cog in the Horned Frogs' 2010 Rose Bowl squad, McCoy is a willing tackler who can make an impact on special teams but may lack the coverage instincts to stick in a regular defensive role for Chicago.

Grade C+

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
1st round B-, because I wanted someone different mainly.
2nd round A-, he has first round talent came back from pro day 212lbs..
3rd round C, bit of a reach, but I like his speed, size and he is intelligent.

Rest of the draft are all C's for the rounds they're in. I really liked the first two picks, I'm being harsh with the 1st round pick only because I wanted someone else. I think he will do good.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why the laugh? He's no guarantee to be anything.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Nobody knows anything about these players. Who gives a fuck?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Na, you can grade it as a draft... Not as an outcome of the draft. I'm fine with giving my opinions on each pick as a letter grade. However, I will be grading this draft a few years down the road for sure. This doesn't end today.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Best pick: Third-round safety Brandon Hardin has played corner, so he has range. He missed the 2010 season with a shoulder injury, but is healthy now. Rangy safeties are in vogue now.

Questionable move
: I didn't like the pick of receiver Alshon Jeffery in the second round. He is too much like Brandon Marshall and doesn't run well enough.

Third-day gem: Isaiah Frey is a corner from Nevada who faced some good passing teams in college. He isn't a great man player, but might be a nice nickel corner.

Analysis: They took Shea McClellin in the first round and he will play left end, although a lot of scouts saw him as a 3-4 outside rusher. I think he'll be fine as an end. I didn't like the Jeffrey pick and they didn't get a lot the rest of the way. I do like Hardin.

Grade: C

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18883097/draft-grades-bengals-haul-gets-high-praise-saints-flunk-the-weekend

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chicago Bears

Two of the first three picks were defenders. Boise State's Shea McClellin is a farm-tough linebacker who can rush the passer and also line up on the outside. Oregon State safety Brandon Hardin missed the entire 2011 season due to shoulder surgery, but the Bears say he'll be ready for the rookie mini-camp. ... South Carolina receiver Alshon Jeffrey is a big-body receiver with 4.48 speed. Jeffrey, though, was better two years ago than he was last season, some believing he was protecting himself against injury for this draft. His high-school basketball team won four state titles, and he can jump out of the gym. ... Temple's Evan Rodriguez could emerge as a tight end/H-back player. They really didn't address their offensive line needs, however. Grade: C-

Czar's NFL Draft grades per team - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
The NFL Draft grades can go pound sand in GB. It means nothing.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears Draft Grade

This draft showed us that Phillip Emery is not drafting out of a magazine and he is trying to be creative with his picks.

1[19] DE Shea McClellin [Boise State] A-

The Bears needed a DE that can make more dynamic plays that Idonije and that is what McClellin is. McClellin is a high motor, high character player that has sneaky athletic ability and simply makes plays. What makes me love this pick is that with Peppers and Melton collapsing the pocket McClellin's hustle should allow him to make a ton of plays cleaning up after what those guys do. McClellin and his relentless nature are what the Bears thrive on at defense. Emery showed his conviction to the pick by passing on more athletic, but riskier picks in Jones and Mercilus.

media_94686122c6d143269f6e4c2559050325_t607.jpg

2[45] WR Alshon Jeffery [South Carolina] A

This is the pick that will make this draft an franchise defining draft or simply a solid one. Jeffery has top 10 talent and arguably the best hands in the draft. He has everything you look for in a #1 WR except for elite separation skills. Jeffery is not going to be asked to be the #1 in Chicago that is saved for Brandon Marshall. He is going to be asked to come in and physically dominate single coverage across from Marshall. Jeffery provides the Bears with a gigantic WR core and the risk is nothing compared to the possible upside. At worst I think that Jeffery becomes a Michael Jenkins [Vikings], but if he hits this could be the best WR core in the NFL.

alshon-jeffery.jpg

3[79] S Brandon Hardin [Oregon St] B-

The Bears had bigger needs than safety so I understand why people did not love this pick. But the safety position is huge for the Cover 2 defense and Major Wright has been injured and inconsistent. On top of Major Wright's injuries Conte finished last season on IR and we do not have anyone with the speed and range to truly back up at those positions. Hardin is a physical freak with the size [6'3" 220lbs] and hitting ability to back up Wright and the speed [4.45] and coverage ability [played CB in college]. Hardin provides a physical freak that can play a number of positions. It would not shock me if he is starting by week 6 at SS.

575480_10150794874854452_115897014451_9084902_1603240857_n.jpg

4[111] TE Evan Rodriguez [Temple] B

TE was not a huge need heading into the draft and Rodriguez does not have the size to be a Gronkowski type of player. All of those criticisms are fair, but what Rodriguez does provide is a weapon and a player that the Bears simply do not have. He is a new type of weapon in the Aaron Hernandez mold and forces teams to prepare for a different type of player. Rodriquez is to big for a CB to cover and he is to fast for a safety to cover. This pick was off the radar, but it makes the Bears more dynamic and dangerous on offense.

chi_u_evan-rodriguez_mb_600.jpg

6[184] CB Isiaih Frey [Nevade] B

I thought the Bears needed to add CB depth and a developmental player and while I do not know a lot about Frey he seems to have the size and physical ability to one day start in the Cover 2 defense. Frey is a solid player that has played in a zone coverage system and is worth development.

sporta1.jpg

7[220] CB Greg McCoy [Texas Christian] C

As much as I like the Frey pick, I do not see how the Bears are going to keep around 2 developmental CBs. McCoy has physical ability and has shown a lot on special teams, but the Bears have a ton of pure special teams players and could have used a developmental player at another spot. In the end a 7th round pick probably does not have a huge impact on the team, unless they play OL [Webb, Louis]. I do not love the pick of a 2nd deep developmental CB.

mccoy_23.jpg

Overall I would grade this draft at a B+/A- and I think that Emery was sneaky good in putting this class together.

All I know is this is the most talented Bears roster in my lifetime.

Last edited: