Bears offense greatly improved with limited draft capital..

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Very solid pick with Montgomery and fans are going to be surprised how much better this offense functions with a true complete back that can run it between the tackles, catch well and pass protect. Very high floor for a 3rd round pick. Not a home run hitter as discussed ad nauseum but a complete back the Bears desperately needed and got at great value.

Another fairly high floor player with Riley Ridley, seems to be a theme for Pace recently. Reliable receiver, route runner and run blocker. Huge wingspan and hand size combination. Again he isn't explosive but there is nothing wrong, and alot of things right, with a late 4th round pick who can run routes, catch well and block.

Take a look at a very typical 3rd and short (2-3 yards) NFL scenario. A-Rob and Ridley on the outside, both big bodies who can run routes, box out DBs, and block. Miller or Burton in the slot/hybrid. So you can have a 3-4 WR/hybrid set here, all 4 guys can get open and catch in traffic, 3 of them run block well, and then you have Montgomery in the backfield. You can do almost anything you want here including run the ball to pick up the first down and you can audible to the best play knowing that set of personnel can do it all. Impressive versatility we have never had in Chicago offensively.

Cycle that same play back to last year. You put Howard in the backfield so the defense doesnt' fear a screen pass or circle route and defense pinches up tight to stop the run. Flip that with Cohen and its the opposite, you know the Bears likely aren't running and if so it isn't to the inside. Those packages didn't stress opposing teams linebacker personnel. Now add Riley when he is ready and you take Gabriel off the outside and put Miller in the slot. So now both outside WR's can run block and block for screen passes, and both these guys can run west coast routes and make reliable catches. Allows the smaller guys (Cohen/Gabriel and Miiler to some extent) to work out of the slot and underneath so they don't have to fight presses and can get some very favorable matchups against linebacker personnel.

Pace really helped our offense as much as he could with minimal capital. 2 all around good solid players that can contribute. I don't really grade draft past the 5th round as most 6-7th rounders never make an NFL team for long. You do your damage with your first 5 picks.

So Bears took the 47th and 56th best graded players in the draft, at spots number 73 and 126. Great job and excited with what we got. I think some folks are watching 40 times a little more than watch tape.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
True story. Taylor Gabriel and AntMill graded out as better blockers than ARob.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Damn Remy, why did you have to mess up my post with the truth?

Is that a PFF stat?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
True story. Taylor Gabriel and AntMill graded out as better blockers than ARob.

More reason I don't mind the continued draft picks at receiver. The Bears can walk away from either or both Gabriel and Robinson at the end of 2019 with each only carrying a dead cap hit of 2 million. If you believe in that homegrown talent like Miller, Ridley and Wimms...you can save a ton a cash next season.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
More reason I don't mind the continued draft picks at receiver. The Bears can walk away from either or both Gabriel and Robinson at the end of 2019 with each only carrying a dead cap hit of 2 million. If you believe in that homegrown talent like Miller, Ridley and Wimms...you can save a ton a cash next season.
IDK man, moving on from them means we would lose out on the COMP pick

Hammer

Liked Posts:
Dunno why many around here say we didn't need WR, when Bears basically have nothing outside A-Rob, Gabriel and Ant-Mill at the position.
Considering the use of 3 wide formations in Nagy offense, if any of them goes down, Bears would have a significant problem.

Therefore, Ridley is a great pick and will prove to be a great depth at position of need (I really don't expect anything from Patterson or Wims outside of STs contribution).

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
With the exception of Montgomery Idt pace went into the draft thinking must draft offense. But trubisky is being given every opportunity to succeed that I’ve never seen done for a Chicago qb. They have left no stone unturned for him

Visionman

Liked Posts:
With the exception of Montgomery Idt pace went into the draft thinking must draft offense. But trubisky is being given every opportunity to succeed that I’ve never seen done for a Chicago qb. They have left no stone unturned for him
Not only for Trubisky, but really for most any halfway decent QB...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Other than Montgomery, I think it's just the way the draft fell for them.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gotta get them Patriot / Raven style Comp picks to load up our 3RD Phase AND for Pace to do his midround Magic

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Very solid pick with Montgomery and fans are going to be surprised how much better this offense functions with a true complete back that can run it between the tackles, catch well and pass protect. Very high floor for a 3rd round pick. Not a home run hitter as discussed ad nauseum but a complete back the Bears desperately needed and got at great value.

Another fairly high floor player with Riley Ridley, seems to be a theme for Pace recently. Reliable receiver, route runner and run blocker. Huge wingspan and hand size combination. Again he isn't explosive but there is nothing wrong, and alot of things right, with a late 4th round pick who can run routes, catch well and block.

Take a look at a very typical 3rd and short (2-3 yards) NFL scenario. A-Rob and Ridley on the outside, both big bodies who can run routes, box out DBs, and block. Miller or Burton in the slot/hybrid. So you can have a 3-4 WR/hybrid set here, all 4 guys can get open and catch in traffic, 3 of them run block well, and then you have Montgomery in the backfield. You can do almost anything you want here including run the ball to pick up the first down and you can audible to the best play knowing that set of personnel can do it all. Impressive versatility we have never had in Chicago offensively.

Cycle that same play back to last year. You put Howard in the backfield so the defense doesnt' fear a screen pass or circle route and defense pinches up tight to stop the run. Flip that with Cohen and its the opposite, you know the Bears likely aren't running and if so it isn't to the inside. Those packages didn't stress opposing teams linebacker personnel. Now add Riley when he is ready and you take Gabriel off the outside and put Miller in the slot. So now both outside WR's can run block and block for screen passes, and both these guys can run west coast routes and make reliable catches. Allows the smaller guys (Cohen/Gabriel and Miiler to some extent) to work out of the slot and underneath so they don't have to fight presses and can get some very favorable matchups against linebacker personnel.

Pace really helped our offense as much as he could with minimal capital. 2 all around good solid players that can contribute. I don't really grade draft past the 5th round as most 6-7th rounders never make an NFL team for long. You do your damage with your first 5 picks.

So Bears took the 47th and 56th best graded players in the draft, at spots number 73 and 126. Great job and excited with what we got. I think some folks are watching 40 times a little more than watch tape.
Don’t overlook that TE we got after draft. Dude is exceptionally fluid runner/catcher, fits offense and has Braun and Sheen above him...if he is half as good as he looks he is going to catch some balls rookie year.

Hall/Ridley/Patterson/Wimms competition should make this preseason entertaining.

Might even be able to trade a WR, OG, and RB for draft capital

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think the swing tackle rock was too heavy to flip over.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know if I can say "greatly improved" offense when Pace created a hole and is filling it with an unproven third round draft pick from the college power-house of Iowa State and gave away additional picks to do so.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't have much to work with. But don't forget we traded some picks for this guy, so he'd better be a clear upgrade from Jordan Howard.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Don’t overlook that TE we got after draft. Dude is exceptionally fluid runner/catcher, fits offense and has Braun and Sheen above him...if he is half as good as he looks he is going to catch some balls rookie year.

Hall/Ridley/Patterson/Wimms competition should make this preseason entertaining.

Might even be able to trade a WR, OG, and RB for draft capital

Which one you like? Dax Raymond (Utah State) or Ellis Richardson (Georgia Southern)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't know if I can say "greatly improved" offense when Pace created a hole and is filling it with an unproven third round draft pick from the college power-house of Iowa State and gave away additional picks to do so.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't have much to work with. But don't forget we traded some picks for this guy, so he'd better be a clear upgrade from Jordan Howard.

We traded one pick away, in addition to a move down.
Any back that can run in more than just a straight line is a clear upgrade

Howard is a fit in a John Fox offense. Most of us are happy to move on from that and don’t miss it.

The college he comes from is really not relevant. Cedric Benson played for Texas. Salaam for Penn State. Trent Richardson for Alabama, and Walter Payton for Jackson State. That says all we need to say to know it’s the player that matters, not the school.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
David Montgomery is a clear upgrade over Howard especially for this offense! I wasn’t a huge Montgomery fan due to lack of long speed but I realized that most super fast running backs in college don’t pan out in the nfl. We needed a guy who could run between tackles, catch and block as to not give away plays.

Howard in the backfield sort of shows your hand to a certain extent and that affected how defenses played Cohen as well especially in key situations of the score and time of game in close games.

Don’t get me wrong Howard is good at what he does but just doesn’t fit what Nagy wants to go on offense. Nagy is actually a coach that wants to run his offense which I love even though he has a defense that tons of coaches would just boringly pound the rock and run conservative pass plays.

I also think that Patterson signing isn’t getting as much credit as it deserves. This guy is dangerous for a few plays of the game and an amazing special teams player which was a huge hole in our team last year. Look back to see how many times we started at the twenty or further back due to penalties on a high percentage of returns, until later in season when they basically downed everything which at the time was the best strategy for us and then teams started kicking high balls just short of end zone and we struggled which made our offense more predictable and difficult to start drives.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Great post, but what was your 40 time?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
"greatly improved"

Settle down OP, it's less than a handful of mid to late round picks. JFC, what is up with all the hyperbole and gross exaggerations here lately?

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
David Montgomery is a clear upgrade over Howard especially for this offense! I wasn’t a huge Montgomery fan due to lack of long speed but I realized that most super fast running backs in college don’t pan out in the nfl. We needed a guy who could run between tackles, catch and block as to not give away plays.

Howard in the backfield sort of shows your hand to a certain extent and that affected how defenses played Cohen as well especially in key situations of the score and time of game in close games.

Don’t get me wrong Howard is good at what he does but just doesn’t fit what Nagy wants to go on offense. Nagy is actually a coach that wants to run his offense which I love even though he has a defense that tons of coaches would just boringly pound the rock and run conservative pass plays.

I also think that Patterson signing isn’t getting as much credit as it deserves. This guy is dangerous for a few plays of the game and an amazing special teams player which was a huge hole in our team last year. Look back to see how many times we started at the twenty or further back due to penalties on a high percentage of returns, until later in season when they basically downed everything which at the time was the best strategy for us and then teams started kicking high balls just short of end zone and we struggled which made our offense more predictable and difficult to start drives.
Clear upgrade!

We found another!