Bears offense greatly improved with limited draft capital..

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
"greatly improved"

Settle down OP, it's less than a handful of mid to late round picks. JFC, what is up with all the hyperbole and gross exaggerations here lately?
I have to agree. Traded Howard. Drafted Montgomery. Statistically, that's a wash. 1,000 yards and 10 TDs for Montgomery would be very good, but nothing Bears didn't have last year. Ridley won't see the field most likely. Duke will be stuck behind Skrine unless an injury. Whyte (sp?) not going to see any touches and with Patterson making $5M, probably not returning. Don't even know the last dudes name so probably isn't going to improve the roster much.

Greatly improved

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have to agree. Traded Howard. Drafted Montgomery. Statistically, that's a wash. 1,000 yards and 10 TDs for Montgomery would be very good, but nothing Bears didn't have last year. Ridley won't see the field most likely. Duke will be stuck behind Skrine unless an injury. Whyte (sp?) not going to see any touches and with Patterson making $5M, probably not returning. Don't even know the last dudes name so probably isn't going to improve the roster much.

Greatly improved
So great, tremendous really. Tremendous people. These clear upgrades are all tremendous, all we gotta do is build a wall between the Bears and the rest of the NFL. Then you'll see how crystal clear these tremendous upgrades are.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Which one you like? Dax Raymond (Utah State) or Ellis Richardson (Georgia Southern)

Well Bunting is 6'7" and has some pedigree too.

I would not mind a depth chart of 1. Anxiety 2. Shaheen Brain full of rocks 3. Dax Raymond (impresses me greatly on highlights for this offense) 4. Bunting or Braunecker or Richardson

Thats how I see the TE depth chart by game 1, but Raymond moving further up would not surprise me by the bye week.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't get the Duke Shelley pick but he might slide into PS with a bit of luck

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Greatly improved

"Statistically that's a wash".
How? You're such a Howard lover you can't imagine others can do better than his plodding 3.6 YPC with no value in teh passing game?

Whyte will be a return man.

Patterson's salary has no effect on whether he helps the offense. Why do you feel the need to mention it in every post? Our biggest weakness last year was kick returns, and Pace addressed it with a guy who was #2 overall and can play some snaps from scrimmage, yet you have not stopped whining about the signing since the day it happened.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Greatly improved O? We got our RB but the rest are back 1/2 draft picks. If that makes it greatly improved, it won't be much to watch. We took Ridley because of our chart but a late round possession receiver aint a big deal and anything after 4 is a backup or project. I do expect an improved O for a # of reasons but a mid round RB and some late picks won't be the bulk of it.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
"Statistically that's a wash".
How? You're such a Howard lover you can't imagine others can do better than his plodding 3.6 YPC with no value in teh passing game?

Whyte will be a return man.

Patterson's salary has no effect on whether he helps the offense. Why do you feel the need to mention it in every post? Our biggest weakness last year was kick returns, and Pace addressed it with a guy who was #2 overall and can play some snaps from scrimmage, yet you have not stopped whining about the signing since the day it happened.
What are you talking about? I am no Howard lover. I'm just saying, our 3rd round rookie RB, will likely just replace the production we lost from Howard last year. How does that equate to 'greatly improving' our roster?

To you next point. Great, Pace drafted a return man. Still don't see how that 'greatly improves' our roster when we have the coveted Patterson already on the roster. Any other brane busters?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Clear upgrade!

We found another!

Check out Jeremiah, Brugler, Durkin and Harrison just to name a few that are suggesting the same.

Last edited:

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
I think the new running backs plus Cohen and Davis will be a RBBC so expecting huge numbers from Montgomery is setting him up for failure in the eyes of posters if he doesn't have JWow's output. he won't. His YPC and recieving yards will tell the tale

TL1961

Liked Posts:
We wasted a 6th round pick because the guy we drafted won't immediately start. :) Priceless.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think the new running backs plus Cohen and Davis will be a RBBC so expecting huge numbers from Montgomery is setting him up for failure in the eyes of posters if he doesn't have JWow's output. he won't. His YPC and recieving yards will tell the tale

Hopefully he won't surpass Howard's "games lost due to fumbling at the goal line" stat.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

Greatly improved

Depth wins SBs!

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
Depth at QB took philly over us, injuries happen so depth is needed for a deep run this year, Starters not greatly improved ( improved somewhat) but depth has been improved, Super bowl or bust!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
We traded one pick away, in addition to a move down.
Any back that can run in more than just a straight line is a clear upgrade

Howard is a fit in a John Fox offense. Most of us are happy to move on from that and don’t miss it.

The college he comes from is really not relevant. Cedric Benson played for Texas. Salaam for Penn State. Trent Richardson for Alabama, and Walter Payton for Jackson State. That says all we need to say to know it’s the player that matters, not the school.

Rashaan Salaam went to Colorado; Curtis Enis went to Penn State.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Damn Remy, why did you have to mess up my post with the truth?

Is that a PFF stat?

Yeah so take it with grain of salt. Just found it odd as for a guy that big you would expect better grades.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
I don't know if I can say "greatly improved" offense when Pace created a hole and is filling it with an unproven third round draft pick from the college power-house of Iowa State and gave away additional picks to do so.

Don't get me wrong, he didn't have much to work with. But don't forget we traded some picks for this guy, so he'd better be a clear upgrade from Jordan Howard.

Do you have any idea where Howard or Forte went to college? I'll let you look it up. If that's your criteria, then Montgomery will be significantly better then both. Ugh

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I have to agree. Traded Howard. Drafted Montgomery. Statistically, that's a wash. 1,000 yards and 10 TDs for Montgomery would be very good, but nothing Bears didn't have last year.

Howard produced in the bottom 25% of the league in yards/attempt last season while having the 6th most carries in the NFL. Of the top 21 backs in the NFL with the most carries, only 3 of these backs averaged less than 4 yards per carry.

Howard put up production, but nowhere near what a "featured" back should produce.

Howard was a horrible non-fit. Bears upgraded the second most important position on offense. They can now audible out of bad running plays and have a running back that can contribute in the passing game.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Howard produced in the bottom 25% of the league in yards/attempt last season while having the 6th most carries in the NFL. Of the top 21 backs in the NFL with the most carries, only 3 of these backs averaged less than 4 yards per carry.

Howard put up production, but nowhere near what a "featured" back should produce.

Howard was a horrible non-fit. Bears upgraded the second most important position on offense. They can now audible out of bad running plays and have a running back that can contribute in the passing game.
Running back is not the 2nd most important position on offense in the year of 2019. Where the hell did you even get that? If that was the case, you wouldn't see RB's shuffled around and tossed aside with such regularity like we do.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you have any idea where Howard or Forte went to college? I'll let you look it up. If that's your criteria, then Montgomery will be significantly better then both. Ugh

It's not my criteria, it was a cheap shot at Iowa State. But we have no idea if Montgomery is going to greatly improve our offense.
I'm actually kinda surprised after looking it up that Iowa State has put 106 players in the NFL. Who knew?

But then again, you got schools like Ohio State who've put 448 players in the NFL, so that's why people make that argument when talking about schools without much notoriety.