Bears offense still finding themselves

BigTom

Liked Posts:
When talk of the offense comes up its always focused on Mitchs stats and his progression but rarely points out how unproductive some of the other pieces have been. I keep hearing how the Bears are loaded with offensive weapons yet watching the games i don't see it. At the start of the season there was a lot of potential but it hasnt really played out. It looks like some of the weapons got figured out.

Trey Burton has disappeared. He was supposed to be a big part of this offense playing the Kelce role for the Bears. He started out decent peaking in the NE game with 9 catches for 126 yards. In the 9 games since then he has total 25 catches for 211 yards. More than half his production is from the first 6 games of the season. Hes not the answer if you are looking for a big time receiving tight end.

Taylor Gabriel peaked in games 4 and 5 with back to back 100 yard games. He is supposed to be the speedster who takes the top off the defense and stretches the field yet you have to go back 8 games to Buffalo to find the last time he had a reception over 20 yards. His last 4 games he is averaging 3 receptions and 25 yards. The only time he scored all year was against Tampa. Hes been figured out and shut down.

Anthony Miller being a rookie gets some leeway for struggling but his role became almost non existent in recent weeks. Didn't get a single reception in back to back games against LA and GB. 3 receptions and a TD against SF hopefully gets him going again heading into playoffs.

Allen Robinson coming off an ACL injury has been the most consistent target on the outside but is still having a pretty mediocre year. 55 rec 754 yards 4 TDs. He looks like he would be a fine number 2 receiver to have out there similar to Alshon. Also similar to Alshon it seems he is on the injury report almost every week nursing something.

Tarik Cohen is really the only guy on this offense that would be considered a playmaker. Leads the team in receptions and 2nd in rec yards. The only guy that is a threat to break any play for a long gain. He is good enough to tease us and make defenses respect him but doesn't do it consistently enough to count on it. Has a lot of negative plays in between those exciting bursts.

Not sure what to make of Jordan Howard since every time he gets rolling Nagy stops going to him. Average yards per carry has dropped every year since his great rookie season. Could play a bigger role going forward if Nagy allows it.

Then theres a handful of other guys that make a play here or there but nothing significant. With Shaheen being the only one who looks capable of potentially stepping up over the next few weeks.

So just looking at the numbers it looks like some of the guys were figured out and have been shut down in the later portion of the season. Its possible the Bears skill position players just aren't that good and Nagy is doing a great job with the scheme getting what he is out of them.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
When talk of the offense comes up its always focused on Mitchs stats and his progression but rarely points out how unproductive some of the other pieces have been. I keep hearing how the Bears are loaded with offensive weapons yet watching the games i don't see it. At the start of the season there was a lot of potential but it hasnt really played out. It looks like some of the weapons got figured out.

Trey Burton has disappeared. He was supposed to be a big part of this offense playing the Kelce role for the Bears. He started out decent peaking in the NE game with 9 catches for 126 yards. In the 9 games since then he has total 25 catches for 211 yards. More than half his production is from the first 6 games of the season. Hes not the answer if you are looking for a big time receiving tight end.

Taylor Gabriel peaked in games 4 and 5 with back to back 100 yard games. He is supposed to be the speedster who takes the top off the defense and stretches the field yet you have to go back 8 games to Buffalo to find the last time he had a reception over 20 yards. His last 4 games he is averaging 3 receptions and 25 yards. The only time he scored all year was against Tampa. Hes been figured out and shut down.

Anthony Miller being a rookie gets some leeway for struggling but his role became almost non existent in recent weeks. Didn't get a single reception in back to back games against LA and GB. 3 receptions and a TD against SF hopefully gets him going again heading into playoffs.

Allen Robinson coming off an ACL injury has been the most consistent target on the outside but is still having a pretty mediocre year. 55 rec 754 yards 4 TDs. He looks like he would be a fine number 2 receiver to have out there similar to Alshon. Also similar to Alshon it seems he is on the injury report almost every week nursing something.

Tarik Cohen is really the only guy on this offense that would be considered a playmaker. Leads the team in receptions and 2nd in rec yards. The only guy that is a threat to break any play for a long gain. He is good enough to tease us and make defenses respect him but doesn't do it consistently enough to count on it. Has a lot of negative plays in between those exciting bursts.

Not sure what to make of Jordan Howard since every time he gets rolling Nagy stops going to him. Average yards per carry has dropped every year since his great rookie season. Could play a bigger role going forward if Nagy allows it.

Then theres a handful of other guys that make a play here or there but nothing significant. With Shaheen being the only one who looks capable of potentially stepping up over the next few weeks.

So just looking at the numbers it looks like some of the guys were figured out and have been shut down in the later portion of the season. Its possible the Bears skill position players just aren't that good and Nagy is doing a great job with the scheme getting what he is out of them.

I agree with some of your points, but you can't blame Robinson, they aren't throwing him the ball. He's only had double digit targets 1 time this season. He's shown when you throw it to him, he will deliver the results.

Sometimes I forget the Bears have Gabriel...and Burton can catch the rock too, Bears have gotta find and keep guys involved early.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I prefer Bitches get Mitches to spread the ball around to receivers (and bitches) the way he has been. That way opposing D has nobody to key on. Fun fact, I think by the middle of the second quarter last game, he had thrown to 8 different 'receivers'

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Would be great if we could somehow get another big body receiver like Robinson here. Don't think we'll have any cap space though

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Agreed and 14 points is below average scoring for the Bears and NFL teams.
For a guy that claims to be all about victories you sure seem to care about how many points the offense puts up or how MT plays. Just a wild guess, but since you have ragged on MT from the get go, I am guessing you just can't stand that he is doing the impossible in your mind, proving you wrong. Ain't no spin that you got that disproves 7-0 in the last 7 starts and 10-3 as a second year QB. And my signature gif is so pointed at you and your ilk.

JD Trendleton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. LA Clippers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Florida Gators
source.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 49ers really took away the big play and oppurtunity for quick scores.

That forced the Bears to go on long drives, and they ended up dominating time of possession.

That limited the number of drives.

Which limited the number of scoring opportunities.

Add that to a bad first half of play calling and execution and you have 14 points.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The 49ers really took away the big play and oppurtunity for quick scores.

That forced the Bears to go on long drives, and they ended up dominating time of possession.

That limited the number of drives.

Which limited the number of scoring opportunities.

Add that to a bad first half of play calling and execution and you have 14 points.

consider this: the way we beat the 49ers is the way the Packers beat our D in the second half week 1.

just can't do that for 4 quarters, except for the past 6-7 years against the Bears D.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For a guy that claims to be all about victories you sure seem to care about how many points the offense puts up or how MT plays. Just a wild guess, but since you have ragged on MT from the get go, I am guessing you just can't stand that he is doing the impossible in your mind, proving you wrong. Ain't no spin that you got that disproves 7-0 in the last 7 starts and 10-3 as a second year QB. And my signature gif is so pointed at you and your ilk.

Fairly easy for a QB to win when all they have to beat is 9 points. Forgive me if that doesn't impress me from an offensive standpoint.

Merry Christmas!

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Elite offenses have struggle games too. New Orleans in Dallas and against Carolina.

All that matters is the W

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Fairly easy for a QB to win when all they have to beat is 9 points. Forgive me if that doesn't impress me from an offensive standpoint.

Merry Christmas!
Are you talking about the Bears INABILITY to score more than 14 points? Or Nagy's unwillingness to RISK more for more points? Cause there's an interaction there.

In an abstract vacuum it's easy to say more points is better (or required for the playoffs)... but in a specific game situation it's a matter of risk versus necessity. When your 2nd yr QB had thrown a fair number of unforced picks in recent weeks, you may not want to risk any more than necessary. Top that with a SF team trying very hard for a turnover.

Granted, SF being within one score (to win) is too close a margin. It's not like Nagy wasn't trying to go up two scores, obviously taking increasing risks near the close of the game (going for it on 4th & 1 at Chi 35!). Also risking a pass 3rd & 3 as SF 44 to control the ball and run out the clock.

Bears gained 325 yds, missed a FG and lost two fumbles near scoring positions. Things to clean up, needed to risk more, but not necessarily unable to score more.