Bears-Raiders in London Oct. 6

Scobear

Liked Posts:
Correct. There is a loss of 1 home game advantage. The Raiders have 7 home games, 8 road games, and 1 game against the Bears where they will surely be outnumbered in fan support in London.

There is an advantage when you have a fan base that travels well or a storied franchise.

The soggy field also most replicate bears home conditions we are built for.

I think it’s like having 8.5 home games and 7 road games for the Bears.

Just for your info the new Spurs stadium has a retractable field so I would anticipate the game will be played on the artificial turf section rather than on turf.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...enham-reveal-retractable-pitch-at-new-stadium

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I guess soccer paid for that stadium...

but its kinda lame they would use artificial on gameday given a choice. Use the fake stuff all week for practices and I would think one football game on grass should be repairable.

It won't be a crucial time in their Tott Spurs seasons...kinda lame.

engbear

Liked Posts:
The grass pitch moves beneath the south stand to reveal the NFL field which is 2 metres lower to allow the lower rows of seats to see over the players on the sideline. Wembley games require the first few rows of seats to remain unsold and tarped off because they would be too low down.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Home games in London mean nothing
Except that whichever team is designated home has one less actual home game. i think that's Oakland in this case.

KennyH

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I guess soccer paid for that stadium...

but its kinda lame they would use artificial on gameday given a choice. Use the fake stuff all week for practices and I would think one football game on grass should be repairable.

It won't be a crucial time in their Tott Spurs seasons...kinda lame.

Be interesting to know who made the decision on the 'second' field surface type as it was installed specifically with NFL games in mind. So I would assume it was chosen with significant consultation with the NFL?

As for using the grass pitch, while Spurs won't play at home for at least two weeks after the Bears game - as the game precedes the international break (where national teams are playing qualification games for the European Championships) - Spurs are now a top four team in England and also for the first time in a while competing well in European competition, so it will be a key part of the season for them as it's in the midst of Champions League qualification. So I assume they would not want any damage whatsoever done by any other events simply because the sheer frequency of soccer games played by the top clubs greatly tests the durability of even the best grass surfaces.

On the flip side I think it's great that Tottenham have embraced the opportunity to stage NFL games and I think for fans and players it will be a far better experience and atmosphere than Wembley. A lot of thought has gone in to making this a multipurpose stadium, with NFL games being a major consideration. So I expect it to work well for the London games, and look forward to the Bears being the first team to use the facility

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Whatever the time zone issues are for the players and fans, the Raiders have it worse.

If the foreign game upset thing is real, then that's a Raider advantage. If the game was played in Oakland, the Bears would be a 3-6 point favorite depending on draft/health. In London I could see it as a 5-8 point spread.