Bears Related Draft Rumors

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Personally, yes I would grab a EDGE/CB over a RB if I had them graded out the same. EDGE/CB are much harder to come across. I worry about out CB depth after Prince/Fuller on the outside. I have zero faith in any of their other CBs. I also worry about Floyd/Lynch staying healthy. IMO they lost to the Eagles because they lacked CB/EDGE depth. And when Callahan/Lynch went down we were cooked.

But I hear ya, I would love a dominate RB. I had hoped we could get both, but seems like all the RBs I have high grades on are moving up draft boards.
It would be truer to say that the Bears lost when Burton was "injured". We lost a valuable offensive weapon. If the Bears had a RB that Nagy trusted more than Howard in his offense, this RB and Cohen could have made up for the loss of Burton.

After all, the Bears did not get blown out by the Eagles. With a more dynamic offense, they would not have needed some shitty kicker to make a game-winning field goal.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
It would be truer to say that the Bears lost when Burton was "injured". We lost a valuable offensive weapon. If the Bears had a RB that Nagy trusted more than Howard in his offense, this RB and Cohen could have made up for the loss of Burton.

After all, the Bears did not get blown out by the Eagles. With a more dynamic offense, they would not have needed some shitty kicker to make a game-winning field goal.

The Bears can pass on RB this year if Pace wants to, Davis and Cohen are a decent RBBC and I think they may bring in another RB in FA for camp/depth. I love a good running game and a good RB, but each year it shows that RB is easily replaceable. If Pace is on the clock and a great value at RB has fallen to him I wouldn't blame him for drafting a RB, but I won't be surprised to see him address other areas and wait until next years draft to maybe find a RB.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The Bears can pass on RB this year if Pace wants to, Davis and Cohen are a decent RBBC and I think they may bring in another RB in FA for camp/depth. I love a good running game and a good RB, but each year it shows that RB is easily replaceable. If Pace is on the clock and a great value at RB has fallen to him I wouldn't blame him for drafting a RB, but I won't be surprised to see him address other areas and wait until next years draft to maybe find a RB.
I agree that he should not draft an RB just to draft and RB. I was talking about one of those great RBs dropping to the Bears pick where he would have to choose to pick that great fit or go elsewhere.

You also have the wrong idea about a running back in today's age. A RB's job is not to run the ball. It is to run the ball, block and, most importantly nowadays, be a chess piece in the passing game. Most RBs do not have all of these things in their toolboxes and, if one of them falls to 87, he is way more valuable to the Bears than a back-up CB or Edge who certainly does not have all of the tools for a CB/Edge in his toolbox (or else he would be an early 1st rounder).

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree that he should not draft an RB just to draft and RB. I was talking about one of those great RBs dropping to the Bears pick where he would have to choose to pick that great fit or go elsewhere.

You also have the wrong idea about a running back in today's age. A RB's job is not to run the ball. It is to run the ball, block and, most importantly nowadays, be a chess piece in the passing game. Most RBs do not have all of these things in their toolboxes and, if one of them falls to 87, he is way more valuable to the Bears than a back-up CB or Edge who certainly does not have all of the tools for a CB/Edge in his toolbox (or else he would be an early 1st rounder).

I think we are seeing more and more RB's entering the league as versatile backs. There will still be the ground and pound traditional backs, but a pass catching back is becoming more of a necessity than a novelty. It seems like we both agree that if the value is there, it wouldn't be a bad pick. Great RB's can be found in the 3rd round and beyond. I was just saying that there are other needs that can be addressed in this draft, with Davis and Cohen as the RB's Pace can maybe wait until next years draft to address the RB position.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don’t think pace has made a desperation pick yet. He goes into the draft with most of the holes filled just in case his guy is unattainable.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I was just saying that there are other needs that can be addressed in this draft, with Davis and Cohen as the RB's Pace can maybe wait until next years draft to address the RB position.
The same can be said about other positions. By the time 87 has come around, the CB and Edge markets have been picked dry. All of the great CBs and edge rushers are gone.

Wouldn't it be a smart idea to get one of the complete running backs (top 3) this year and spend a 1st (trade up) or 2nd on CB/edge next year when you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel for them?

You have the choice of drafting the starter at RB or a back up at CB/Edge this year. A starter is always more valuable than a backup.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The same can be said about other positions. By the time 87 has come around, the CB and Edge markets have been picked dry. All of the great CBs and edge rushers are gone.

Wouldn't it be a smart idea to get one of the complete running backs (top 3) this year and spend a 1st (trade up) or 2nd on CB/edge next year when you aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel for them?

You have the choice of drafting the starter at RB or a back up at CB/Edge this year. A starter is always more valuable than a backup.
All of the edge rushers are not picked dry actually. You can find good pass rushers in the mid rounds just like every other position.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Late value at RB is still higher than other spots due to the better success rate. Edge and TE is tougher because the guys with all the physical traits you look for in one package (size, speed, good moves and hands) are more rare and tend to go earlier. It's a draft and guys slide through the cracks but I think you chose one of the least likely spots to find diamonds in the rough. All drafts are fluid as they develop so what we take or sequence can vary a lot. I doubt Pace has a defined sequence of picks though he will have some preferences.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I agree that a starter is always more valuable than a RB, which is why I wouldn't mind Pace taking a RB in the 3rd...but depth is an important component of a team. The Bears have 2 solid RB's that fit Nagy's system. Passing on a RB for an Edge rusher or CB is not a bad strategy either considering Floyd and Amukamara are both FA after 2020. Pace could be looking to groom their eventual replacements...RB is an easier position to step in and start as a rookie vs an Edge rusher or CB. Passing on a starting RB this year won't hurt the offense this year or even in the near future, not addressing depth on the defense could hurt the defense this year and when certain contracts expire.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

We still have free agency after the draft and free agency still has some good names out there that can be a 4th edge rusher and a 2nd or 3rd RB, shit a guy like S.Ware could be our #1 RB. His problem has been staying healthy but when he is healthy he can run, block and is a really good pass catcher. CB is another story and think he'll definitely use one of our earlier picks on that but you never know what R.Pace will do in these drafts.

RB
S.Ware--This guy has proven himself to be a really good all around RB when healthy.
B.Powell--Not a 3 down RB but has really good pass catching skills and can run the ball, just not 20-25 times a game. Good fit with Davis/Cohen.
J.Ajayi--Of course has the health issues just like S.Ware and just like S.Ware he is a 3 down RB that can do it all.
A.Collins--Not known for pass catching but has caught some balls but he can run the ball 20-25 times a game.

Edge
E.Anasah--Health issues but still a beast when healthy. He'll be looking for a starting gig anyway so don't see any way he'd sign with us.
N.Perry--Again with health but has always shown he can produce when healthy.
C.Barwin
S.Ray
Dion Jordan
S.Acho

CB
M.Claiborne
R.Melvin
O.Scandrick
Vontae Davis--What happened to this guy? He used to be a really good cover corner and is still just 31. I think maybe it was injury issues but not sure if his game got bad even when he was healthy.
K.Webster

There's actually some pretty damn good names still out there especially since we don't really need any of them for starting jobs and many will sign for very cheap one year deals after the draft.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Vontae Davis--What happened to this guy? He used to be a really good cover corner and is still just 31. I think maybe it was injury issues but not sure if his game got bad even when he was healthy.

He literally retired from football during halftime of a game.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
He literally retired from football during halftime of a game.

This place is like gallows humor now. Vontae Davis' retirement was national news. I can only laugh, because otherwise I'd cry.

BTW, whatever happened to Zach Miller? It's like Fox just stopped playing him midway through the 2017 season. And then for Nagy to not even use him at all in 2018? Weird.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This place is like gallows humor now. Vontae Davis' retirement was national news. I can only laugh, because otherwise I'd cry.

BTW, whatever happened to Zach Miller? It's like Fox just stopped playing him midway through the 2017 season. And then for Nagy to not even use him at all in 2018? Weird.

But @dabears70 has more football knowledge than us

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
But @dabears70 has more football knowledge than us

Hey now. It is not his fault that he is too busy fighting off Black-Ops Troll Teams around the clock to keep up with EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

You will be pleased to know he is oh so happy living in your head 7/24 and you are all trolls that cannot troll him even though 90% of his posts are about people trolling him.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey now. It is not his fault that he is too busy fighting off Black-Ops Troll Teams around the clock to keep up with EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

You will be pleased to know he is oh so happy living in your head 7/24 and you are all trolls that cannot troll him even though 90% of his posts are about people trolling him.

Also, the trolling doesn't bother him AT ALL except when it bothers him so much that he types a 300 word paragraph about it with zero punctuations.

msadows

Liked Posts:
First two threads I click and it's the same nerds just going around trolling while their troll mod pats them on the back for an excellent display of trolling.

No wonder 3 people on this forum have like 50% of the posts.

Thats enough CCS for today.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Personally, yes I would grab a EDGE/CB over a RB if I had them graded out the same. EDGE/CB are much harder to come across. I worry about out CB depth after Prince/Fuller on the outside. I have zero faith in any of their other CBs. I also worry about Floyd/Lynch staying healthy. IMO they lost to the Eagles because they lacked CB/EDGE depth. And when Callahan/Lynch went down we were cooked.

But I hear ya, I would love a dominate RB. I had hoped we could get both, but seems like all the RBs I have high grades on are moving up draft boards.
You make some really good points -- especially that a starter quality Edge/CB in the 3rd or 4th are much harder to come by than a RB.

I also agree Bears would probably do well with Davis, Cohen, Patterson, Nall, plus another FA or later draft RB.

But I would disagree with your assessment Bears 'last year' issues. I think it's obvious the Offense sputtered against the Eagles, & all yr long, compared to the Def. McMannis/Toliver played well in reserve. And not having a darting between-the-tackles & rec threat RB hurt Nagy's Off. And I don't think we missed an Edge guy as badly as 'that RB'. We pressured from middle & Edge (Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving) it's just Foles released very fast.

And so, I would also go Edge, CB, TE if they were clearly starter material, especially if Pace really like RBs on the next draft rung. But I'd also say I like Toliver & Joseph as prospects.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I think we are seeing more and more RB's entering the league as versatile backs. There will still be the ground and pound traditional backs, but a pass catching back is becoming more of a necessity than a novelty. It seems like we both agree that if the value is there, it wouldn't be a bad pick. Great RB's can be found in the 3rd round and beyond. I was just saying that there are other needs that can be addressed in this draft, with Davis and Cohen as the RB's Pace can maybe wait until next years draft to address the RB position.
I agree. I don't think Pace trades away Howard, while not picking until #87, unless he is comfortable with what the Bears have now. That is not to say he won't draft a RB if the right guy is there. But I don't think Pace sees it as an absolute must, as many seem to think.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
We still have free agency after the draft and free agency still has some good names out there that can be a 4th edge rusher and a 2nd or 3rd RB, shit a guy like S.Ware could be our #1 RB. His problem has been staying healthy but when he is healthy he can run, block and is a really good pass catcher. CB is another story and think he'll definitely use one of our earlier picks on that but you never know what R.Pace will do in these drafts.

RB
S.Ware--This guy has proven himself to be a really good all around RB when healthy.
B.Powell--Not a 3 down RB but has really good pass catching skills and can run the ball, just not 20-25 times a game. Good fit with Davis/Cohen.
J.Ajayi--Of course has the health issues just like S.Ware and just like S.Ware he is a 3 down RB that can do it all.
A.Collins--Not known for pass catching but has caught some balls but he can run the ball 20-25 times a game.

Edge
E.Anasah--Health issues but still a beast when healthy. He'll be looking for a starting gig anyway so don't see any way he'd sign with us.
N.Perry--Again with health but has always shown he can produce when healthy.
C.Barwin
S.Ray
Dion Jordan
S.Acho

CB
M.Claiborne
R.Melvin
O.Scandrick
K.Webster

There's actually some pretty damn good names still out there especially since we don't really need any of them for starting jobs and many will sign for very cheap one year deals after the draft.

It took me a while, but I just now realized daBears70 is Stephen A Smith.

That explains the lack of football knowledge and need to contribute 90% of the words in every discussion.