Bears select RB David Montgomery 73rd overall

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
IMO, Montgomery’s attractiveness for Pace/Nagy is what someone posted earlier: did not drop a pass in college, and a strong pass blocker. Not to mention he hardly ever goes down on first contact...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Please go read my previous post. I was directly responding to someone who 100% said that Pace was 100% to blame.

Please read my previous post. I said that he could be partially blamed. What are you arguing about?

Oh I was referring to myself when I said no one as I thought you were suggesting I said he was 100% to blame. If someone said that then I agree he is not 100% to blame but he is ultimately to blame as he is the GM. So if you agree it is ultimately his responsibility then my bad as we are in agreement.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol dude has led the nation in forced missed tackles 2 years in a row...again. He is totally different than Howard. His lateral quickness, stop and start on a dime is something Howard never possessed. Howard was a straight ahead power runner...I dont know hiw u can watch their tape and see similar runners. Like seriously how?

Howard

Montgomery

Any comparison would be Hunt or Bell. Hopefully he will ascend to those heights

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-jordan-howard-rb-indiana

Howard had 5th most missed tackles in nation the year he was drafted. Not saying they are similar but not like Howard was falling down on first contact in college.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
IMO, Montgomery’s attractiveness for Pace/Nagy is what someone posted earlier: did not drop a pass in college, and a strong pass blocker. Not to mention he hardly ever goes down on first contact...

house23

Liked Posts:
Part of this is losing Jordan Howard, but the other part is Pace feeling he needs to do something to move up and give away picks in the process. Wasted this years second since he had to have trick shoulder miller. Now it cost our 140th this year to get another guy like he could have gotten ( possible the same guy) because he feels he needs to make moves to show he is really trying
Username checks out.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-jordan-howard-rb-indiana

Howard had 5th most missed tackles in nation the year he was drafted. Not saying they are similar but not like Howard was falling down on first contact in college.

What am I missing here....Montgomery and Howard run nothing alike. Again Howard is a north/south runner, with a plant and go mentality....has a slight swivel. Montgomery bounces like a pinball and bursts ahead. I just posted their college highlights...they run nothing alike...he isnt as powerful as Howard, but does everything else better. Now will that translate to NFL success...we will see.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What am I missing here....Montgomery and Howard run nothing alike. Again Howard is a north/south runner, with a plant and go mentality....has a slight swivel. Montgomery bounces like a pinball and bursts ahead. I just posted their college highlights...they run nothing alike...he isnt as powerful as Howard, but does everything else better. Now will that translate to NFL success...we will see.

Yes I said it doesn't mean they are similar. I was just pointing out that forcing missed tackles is not exclusive to runners like DM as Howard had the 5th highest the year he was drafted.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It is rare for a young RB to pass protect as well as he does.

That doesn't often end up at the top of the scouting report, but it is a big deal for a QB.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Also, didn’t Sony Michel run a 4.55 on his combine? How did he do? He got himself a ring. You need all players to play lights out to win a ring. You don’t need all players to run a 4.3 40 yard dash. How did that turn out for Vernon Davis? Quickness and acceleration is the key and making guys miss. Last but not least, making more plays happen then the other team. That’s it. You can have a guy that runs the 40 at 3.9 on the field. As long as the defense closes all the holes, he ain’t going nowhere.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
His running style reminds me a lot of David Johnson. Patience, great jump cut, very difficult to tackle and slippery because of his contact balance. He's a tier lower lower in terms of speed and receiving ability, but still a nice looking prospect.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Apparently Jack Soble is not panicking

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Montgomery is a great pick for Nagy's system of forcing the defense to protect the entire field. With defenses spread out he will be dangerous because he excels at making defenders miss. I am not too worried about break away speed as long as he is getting first downs. With Montgomery I can see the Bears average time of possession increase significantly -- which would be awesome for the defense we have.

Finally, as for the trade, the Bears still have the same number of picks this year and only lose one fourth next year -- which probably can easily be gained by a trade back of one of our seconds next year. Not worried about that at all. Pace gets Nagy his guy that will start day one and probably play 40% of snaps this year!

In the context of what the Bears are trying to do, Montgomery is an excellent pick!
I think we get a coupla COMP pics next year anyway !!!!

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah and it is an open question as to whether DM can do that. Nagy obviously thinks so but proof will be on the field. His lack of explosion is definitely a concern and given we did not see a ton of it in college, whether he can run the advanced routes at RB that people knocked Howard for being incapable of running is also a question mark.

Everyone is a question mark until they get hit by Pro NFL'ers. At that point we will see if he is a larger, more powerful, but slower 2.0 pinball or a plodding waste of a pic