Bears still have $16.75 left in cap space

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears cap space will be getting tight but some one year deals with guys like Shane Ray seems like a smart idea for a playoff run.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Whitehair extension should be factored in. Maybe even Floyd?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I wonder if the Bears really like the potential of Fitts even though it hasn't shown on the field yet. This might be the case if they don't sign any pass rushers in FA to make an immediate impact.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think some of that cap space will need to be used on extensions for guys like Whitehair and Floyd. Especially considering that I believe Whitehair would become an unrestricted FA next year and Floyd's salary/cap number will not be particularly team friendly on the 5th year option due to his position.

And quite honestly, I am ok with not using all the cap and getting cap rollover when you consider that you have the contract extensions for guys like Eddie Jackson and Trubisky coming up as well.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Yeah, I think some of that cap space will need to be used on extensions for guys like Whitehair and Floyd. Especially considering that I believe Whitehair would become an unrestricted FA next year and Floyd's salary/cap number will not be particularly team friendly on the 5th year option due to his position.

And quite honestly, I am ok with not using all the cap and getting cap rollover when you consider that you have the contract extensions for guys like Eddie Jackson and Trubisky coming up as well.

Several players will be released next year to clear cap room. Prince and Kyle Long will clear over 18 million in cap space.

Rise

Liked Posts:
According to overthecap we still have the 4th round comp pick for Amos. Oddly the mike Davis signing cancelled out a 5th from Callahan.

I personally hope we are done with ufa to preserve that 4th. Resign Lynch for the 3rd pass rusher spot. None of the ufa in that range are better than him plus a 4th. Now the flip side is if lynch can get paid we could then sign another guy to the same range and they cancel out, still preserving the 4th. Maybe that’s the plan?

Get whitehair locked up. Save some cap for flexibility during the season and with potential cuts. Get ready for the Eddie Jackson extension cause that’s a major one.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
If he’s reasonable, I’d like to see them take a run at Houston. He’s a massive upgrade to Lynch and would give the Bears more time to develop Fitts and Irving. Plus, if the Bears are really eligible for a 2020 4th round comp pick, his signing has no bearing on that.

Rise

Liked Posts:
If he’s reasonable, I’d like to see them take a run at Houston. He’s a massive upgrade to Lynch and would give the Bears more time to develop Fitts and Irving. Plus, if the Bears are really eligible for a 2020 4th round comp pick, his signing has no bearing on that.

It would cancel the pick out unless another one of our ufa signs for around the same range as we signed Houston. At least that’s how I understand this, if I’m wrong please educate me. So yeah it might be a waiting game right now. I would prefer him as well all things equal.

IMG_6491.jpg

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The point being, there was really not this big rush to get the Mack money to spend if they are just waiting for August extensions. Extensions are not going to come into effect with the current cap number, they are for the 2020 season.

You gotta figure Pace swung and missed alot this offseason.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It would cancel the pick out unless another one of our ufa signs for around the same range as we signed Houston. At least that’s how I understand this, if I’m wrong please educate me. So yeah it might be a waiting game right now. I would prefer him as well all things equal.

View attachment 2630

He was cut so he doesn’t count in the calculation.

Rise

Liked Posts:
He was cut so he doesn’t count in the calculation.

I did not realize he was cut, awesome! So then the perfect scenario is signing Houston, someone else signs lynch which would open up our 5th round comp pick. Giving us a 4th and a 5th. That would be an A+ free agency when you look at it in total.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I did not realize he was cut, awesome! So then the perfect scenario is signing Houston, someone else signs lynch which would open up our 5th round comp pick. Giving us a 4th and a 5th. That would be an A+ free agency when you look at it in total.

That would be ideal.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Several players will be released next year to clear cap room. Prince and Kyle Long will clear over 18 million in cap space.

The problem there though is you are creating other holes that still need to be filled and there are currently not any for sure replacements already on the roster. So then you are still spending either the money on an FA or a draft pick and likely both unless you decide to spend a ton in FA for a starter...in which case you should probably just keep Prince and/or Long. The other component for those two in particular will be their health. If they can stay healthy this year, then maybe you keep them. But if they continue to have health issues, Long especially, then you probably need to move on.

Rise

Liked Posts:
The point being, there was really not this big rush to get the Mack money to spend if they are just waiting for August extensions. Extensions are not going to come into effect with the current cap number, they are for the 2020 season.

You gotta figure Pace swung and missed alot this offseason.

What’s the downside to doing this though? Since it just rolls over into the next year if not used might as well have the flexibility. Unless I’m missing something.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The problem there though is you are creating other holes that still need to be filled and there are currently not any for sure replacements already on the roster. So then you are still spending the either money on an FA or a draft pick and likely both unless you decide to spend a ton in FA for a starter...in which case you should probably just keep Prince and/or Long. The other component for those two in particular will be their health. If they can stay healthy this year, then maybe you keep them. But if they continue to have health issues, Long especially, then you probably need to move on.

The hope would be that Toliver would step in for Prince. They are grooming some o-lineman on the practice squad and will most likely draft one this year.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Whitehair extension should be factored in. Maybe even Floyd?
No they shouldn't. They would have no impact on this year's cap. Here's how it works:

If I sign a 5 year deal at 1m a year and then a 5 year extension at 5m per year as I head into my final year on the first contract it would look like this

Year 1 - 1m
Year 2 - 1m
Year 3 - 1m
Year 4 - 1m
Extension signed
Year 5 - 1m (the old contract was not terminated and the player resigned - he was EXTENDED)
Year 6 - 5m
Year 7 - 5m
Year 8 - 5m
Year 9 - 5m
Year 10 - 5m

Note, the extension only impacts later years (as it should).

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What’s the downside to doing this though? Since it just rolls over into the next year if not used might as well have the flexibility. Unless I’m missing something.

There really was no downside. I think many just need to put a negative spin on anything a GM does.

Canth

Liked Posts:
No they shouldn't. They would have no impact on this year's cap. Here's how it works:

If I sign a 5 year deal at 1m a year and then a 5 year extension at 5m per year as I head into my final year on the first contract it would look like this

Year 1 - 1m
Year 2 - 1m
Year 3 - 1m
Year 4 - 1m
Extension signed
Year 5 - 1m (the old contract was not terminated and the player resigned - he was EXTENDED)
Year 6 - 5m
Year 7 - 5m
Year 8 - 5m
Year 9 - 5m
Year 10 - 5m

Note, the extension only impacts later years (as it should).

Do the signing and/or roster bonuses (depending on when the roster bonus is applied) not have any effect on the current cap when the extension is signed?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The problem there though is you are creating other holes that still need to be filled and there are currently not any for sure replacements already on the roster. So then you are still spending either the money on an FA or a draft pick and likely both unless you decide to spend a ton in FA for a starter...in which case you should probably just keep Prince and/or Long. The other component for those two in particular will be their health. If they can stay healthy this year, then maybe you keep them. But if they continue to have health issues, Long especially, then you probably need to move on.

There are a lot more factors. Amukamara has a 10M cap hit next year. They save 9M by cutting him. Long 9.6M cap number, save 8.1M. The key is the depth behind them and the potential to add starters or depth to them that are younger and cheaper than their cap hits. I think the Bears can trust Toliver to replace Prince in 2020, especially if they can add competition to him this offseason. Long doesn't have a replacement on the roster as of now, but I think guards are easier to replace than starting CBs, and the other 4 positions on the OL should be set for next year (assuming they lock up Whitehair), so they could potentially bring along a rookie. And the Bears actually have premium draft picks in next year's draft....which is probably going to be a big factor also. They couldn't really afford to get rid of Long this offseason due to lack of resources in money and picks to replace him.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Do the signing and/or roster bonuses (depending on when the roster bonus is applied) not have any effect on the current cap when the extension is signed?
A roster bonus is a bonus for being on the roster in x year. So, it wouldn't hit the cap until the respective year.

A signing bonus is guaranteed money for signing but is generally spread across each year of the new contract. However, you're right, there can be exceptions where it's applied in the earlier years to the cap. But that's really the teams decision and Floyd and whitehair won't command a contract with such a high signing bonus that the bears would need to spread it in the earlier years.