Bulls land Mirotic and Butler

AE23

from 68th
Donator
Liked Posts:
i dont know who these two are, but then i dont watch much NCAA, read they traded up, would liked to see them trade up higher and get someone ive actually heard about

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Butler should be okay. Mirotic is a good financial move, as we won't see him for 4 years, ala Asik. It should help keep the salary books tidy.

Adog06

Liked Posts:
I agree, the people on this Bulls forum are being pissy about not taking Brooks. Sorry fellas but Brooks was not a "too good to pass up player. This kid has time to develop into a hell of a player and his contract wont be on the books until he is in a uniform. Plus they can use him as a possible trade piece for a bigger trade.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Because you've watched him play before?

Or is that just an assumption...

I have seen Nikola Mirotic play a lot great player. A few of his games are on espn3.com if you are interested.

he plays for Real Madrid there last game was May. 8th

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After calming down a bit, I'd say that that Euro guy has the potential to be our next Asik sort of. An offensive version anyway. I'll trust Bulls management this time, they've never really failed us in the draft (minus Tyrus and JJ).

scottiepippen1994

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I didn't give a cripple crap fuck about the draft this year...The Bulls draft picks don't impress me and its not like Butler is going to be some kind of immediate impact starting 2guard for us..If that's the case then I don't see no championship rings this year....Plus Butler is more of a smallforward tfhan a 2guard anyway....Purhaps this means that GarPax are actually going to get us a free agent 2guard nd you guys already know who I think we should sign...

WindyCity7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have seen Nikola Mirotic play a lot great player. A few of his games are on espn3.com if you are interested.
def will check out

After calming down a bit, I'd say that that Euro guy has the potential to be our next Asik sort of. An offensive version anyway. I'll trust Bulls management this time, they've never really failed us in the draft (minus Tyrus and JJ).

true

....Perhaps this means that GarPax are actually going to get us a free agent 2guard nd you guys already know who I think we should sign...

has to

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
it's not that I hate the Mirotic pick, I think he could be a solid player... I just hate that he's not coming over for another 4 years.

Who knows what'll happen in 4 years? What if Garpax is gone by then and the new guys coming in don't want him? What if Boozer, Deng, Gibson and Asik are traded by then and we bring in other guys who play well and we don't need Mirotic anymore? What is we have a couple of off years, thibs gets fired and Mirotic doesn't fit the style of play for the new coach?

So much stuff can happen in 4 years.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
People need to relax. This draft was weak, one of the weakest in the past 10 years, & there were not alot of good SG prospects. I'm perfectly happy with what we got & from all accounts, Mitrovic looks to be a steal at 23, according to the majority of scouts who had him rated in the top 10 if not for his buyout situation.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm starting to like the Butler pick more by the day. He's looks like a committed player. He's already trying to become better. He working on his 3 point shooting and is ready to guard Lebron and/or Wade. He's a good defender. He's gona workout with former Marquett players. One name Wesley Matthews.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm starting to grow on these picks. After a bit of research on Mirotic, I'd say it was a good pick all things considering. High risk/high reward, and if he never comes over, well I guess we can use that money elsewhere.

Commodore K'nection

Liked Posts:
Interesting pre-draft Q & A article. Jonathan Givony who runs Draft Express mentioned both our picks as underrated/sleeper types. He also mentions Marshon Brooks as overrated. Remember this is pre-NBA Draft.

June 20, 2011

RHQ: Looking at the sleepers, or the underrated players in the draft class, versus those who you think are getting too much hype, or are overrated.

JG: I think the guy who is the number one sleeper in this draft is Nikola Mirotic. He's got no chance of being drafted in the top 20 because of his buy-out situation, but if you're ranking purely on just talent, I would say that he should be a top-10 pick. That's my opinion.

Another guy who's underrated to me is Jimmy Butler, from Marquette. He has an outside chance of going in the first round, but I think he's going to be a ten-year NBA player, a Shane Battier type guy in terms of his basketball IQ, in terms of his defense, his passing. I think he's pretty good.

RHQ: And on the flip-side?

JG: I'm a little bit surprised by how much Klay Thompson has risen up most people's boards. He was a guy who was projected as a late first, early second-rounder for most of his career and he's already in the green room and he's going to be a lottery pick it looks like. Now it's not that he's not a good player, I just wonder if people are going to be disappointed by how limited he is offensively in terms of his athleticism, in terms of his ability to create his own shot, his ability to defend his position, all that. I wonder if that really is the profile of a lottery pick.

On the same note, I'm also surprised by the way that Marshon Brooks has risen up the boards. He was a mid second-round pick six weeks ago, but then he started going through the process, he had good measurements, he had a good showing at the combine, and his stock has really, really risen to the point that he's probably going to be a mid-first-round pick. He might have gone at 45 six weeks ago. I think history tells you that that's always a bit of a red flag.

I watched him play extensively this season in person and on tape and I wonder if he's going to be able to get away with some of the things that he did at Providence, the way he monopolizes the ball, his shot selection, the tunnel-vision he shows, the bad body language, the lack of enthusiasm for playing defense. But I felt the same way about Nick Young, I felt the same way about Jordan Crawford, these guys end up having NBA careers. Whether they're the most efficient players, whether they end up helping their team win games, that's up for debate.

DraftExpress: Jonathan Givony Interview with RaptorsHQ

Makes me feel a little better about passing on Marshon Brooks for The Mirotic One.

Last edited:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess Brooks did get very overrated come draft time. To me, I didn't think he could start, but he could be a guy who could score for the bench mob since he has a very Nick Young/Jordan Crawford type of scoring mentality. Plus with that huge wingspan, I figured if Thibs could teach him to play decent D, that'd he'd be pretty good for us. I guess management didn't agree. But I trust management to make the right pick most of the time. Gibson and Asik worked out really well for us, maybe Mirotic and Butler will do the same. Hopefully at least one.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I guess Brooks did get very overrated come draft time. To me, I didn't think he could start, but he could be a guy who could score for the bench mob since he has a very Nick Young/Jordan Crawford type of scoring mentality. Plus with that huge wingspan, I figured if Thibs could teach him to play decent D, that'd he'd be pretty good for us. I guess management didn't agree. But I trust management to make the right pick most of the time. Gibson and Asik worked out really well for us, maybe Mirotic and Butler will do the same. Hopefully at least one.

Brooks shouldn't start but he will most likley in Jersey they have the worst SG's in the NBA IMO. He rinds me of Flip Murry a guy who once got the ball you aren't getting it back. Jordan Crawford is a good comparison also.

sach1

Liked Posts:
I like our picks and I think It was a good move from the management. We got a new defensive/hard nosed rookie who I think can fit on coach Thibs system. Hopefully we can crack the rotation and improve his offense. His versatility will be of great help for the Bulls.

Mirotic hopefully wants to play w/ the Bulls in the future.

Last edited:

Michael

Liked Posts:
I haven't seen either of the guys play, but from what I read, I like both picks. There's only so much you can do with late picks, and after Taj surprised a lot of people, I'm starting to trust the Bulls' management. Butler says the right words - let's hope he'll live by them!

DCguy

Liked Posts:
Jimmy Butler can play in the post some, he did when he first came to Marquette. Last season he worked on his mid-range and 3 point shots. He will do just fine. He is already naturally a good defender and Thibs will help harness that.