Bulls work out Johnny Flynn and others

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
KC Johnson article

Interesting in two respects. First, that Flynn is likely to go before our pick, so it's interesting that we're looking at him. It's actually intresting that he'd bother to work out with us given how limited these guys are with work outs.

I could see us trading up, but trading up for a PG?

Also Patrick Mills and Chase Budinger worked out with the team recently.

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
It's called covering your ass Doug.

Who knows what will happen? We could be moving up, picking for another team, God knows what. I see a plenty of movement amongst teams in this years draft, best to cover all our basis and be prepared.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't think we'll take Flynn. I guess I'm more interested by Flynn agreeing to work out for us than us wanting to work him out. We can probably bring in 60 players for workouts. However, a player probably isn't going to be able to do more than 15 workouts.

So we can workout basically anyone in the draft we'd even bother considering at all, but a player can only workout for about half the teams. The Bulls seem like one of the last teams that would draft a PG, and he certainly wouldn't want to end up on our team.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
He would be nice to have when Rose plays off the ball at times. People don't give him credit enough, I think he's a better leader than most Point Guards in this league. He's going to be a All-Star one day.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
It would be pretty funny if the Bulls trade Deng, then end up drafting a point guard, and moving Rose to the off guard position.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
JimmyBulls wrote:
It would be pretty funny if the Bulls trade Deng, then end up drafting a point guard, and moving Rose to the off guard position.

That would be hilariously bad.

Though I believe the point was that we'd move Rose off ball for a few minutes a game, not as a primary position. Even so, I don't want him ever playing primarily off the ball even if it's just in short bursts at SG.

It's okay for someone else to initiate the offense by driving or what not, but Rose should always be the PG on the floor.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
The Bulls currently own the 16th and 26th picks…so why are they working out somebody who should be long gone before they get the chance to make a selection? Are they hoping that all those other teams will balk at Flynn’s size? (According to Ford: “Syracuse has listed him, generously, at 6 feet for the past two seasons. Standing next to him, it’s easy to see that Flynn will be lucky if he can crack 5-foot-11 in shoes. A measurement of 5-foot-10 is a better bet.”) Or are they planning to trade up for a better pick? And even if they do get Flynn, don’t we already have an All-Star point guard in the making in Derrick Rose? It seems a little early to start grooming his replacement. I suppose it’s possible that the Bulls would draft him and then immediately package him in another trade…but who knows?

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Simeon2UC wrote:
The Bulls currently own the 16th and 26th picks…so why are they working out somebody who should be long gone before they get the chance to make a selection? Are they hoping that all those other teams will balk at Flynn’s size? (According to Ford: “Syracuse has listed him, generously, at 6 feet for the past two seasons. Standing next to him, it’s easy to see that Flynn will be lucky if he can crack 5-foot-11 in shoes. A measurement of 5-foot-10 is a better bet.”) Or are they planning to trade up for a better pick? And even if they do get Flynn, don’t we already have an All-Star point guard in the making in Derrick Rose? It seems a little early to start grooming his replacement. I suppose it’s possible that the Bulls would draft him and then immediately package him in another trade…but who knows?
Well we wouldn't have to work him out if are intention was to immediately trade him. It's probably just us doing are due diligence, and also maybe trying to get a big or wing to slide to us. If other teams think we might be interested in Flynn and they want him, then they may have to move ahead of us to get him therefore sliding someone else to us. Maybe not likely, but it wouldn't hurt.

I absolutely love Flynn by the way. I know he has no place on this team, but he's going to be a really good player.

hfritz32

Liked Posts:
Why is every one so surprised were looking at PGs? Were not looking for Roses replacement or plan to play Rose at the 2. If we draft a PG it means Hinrich is on the move and were drafting for a back up PG. Our new GM says its a priority to resign BG, and if moving Hinrich is the only way I believe thats what he will do.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Maybe we have a deal in place for Kirk and it's giving us a early 1st and we would take Flynn. IMO a lot of things are in play which is why Paxson will be covering all bases

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Tony Douglas said his first workout was with the Bulls and he felt the Bulls loved him... Tyler Hansbrough also worked out with us too....

If we take Flynn at 16 or Tony at 26 could that mean Kirk is gone? Flynn is a PG and Douglas is a combo guard

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Ralphb07 wrote:
Tony Douglas said his first workout was with the Bulls and he felt the Bulls loved him... Tyler Hansbrough also worked out with us too....

If we take Flynn at 16 or Tony at 26 could that mean Kirk is gone? Flynn is a PG and Douglas is a combo guard

I just started watching Flynn on synergy today. I think he's got star potential. I don't think he can defend to save his life, but Syracuse plays a zone all the time, so you can't really tell.

The things he does offensively are really, really impressive. My only concern would be if he measures out at like 5'10 with short arms or something, but he just destroys everyone off the dribble and has great court vision as well as scoring instincts.

I'd say he's easily the best prospect I've looked at so far in this draft, but bare in mind I've been avoiding the top of the draft.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

I just started watching Flynn on synergy today. I think he's got star potential. I don't think he can defend to save his life, but Syracuse plays a zone all the time, so you can't really tell.

The things he does offensively are really, really impressive. My only concern would be if he measures out at like 5'10 with short arms or something, but he just destroys everyone off the dribble and has great court vision as well as scoring instincts.

I'd say he's easily the best prospect I've looked at so far in this draft, but bare in mind I've been avoiding the top of the draft.
I'm pretty sure I read that he did measure sub 6', but I still love the guy. It's hard to fit him in, but if is the BPA, go for it. Great personality/leader as well.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

People said the same about Chris Paul. I feel Flynn is a better athlete than Paul too. He's going to be a All-star for sure.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

Even if he measures at 6ft that's fine. He would be Rose back up. What do you think at grabbing him at 16 if he was there and trading Kirk? I don't think he'll be there at 16 but if he was?

I know Douglas is a combo guard but IMO with looking at Flynn, Douglas and then a defensive stopper like Williams and not bringing in Wayne yet does that signal Kirk is the guy leaving?

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
If the news the Bulls worked out Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn sounded surprising, don’t feel odd. It surprised Flynn too.

“I couldn’t understand why they would bring me in either,” Flynn said Thursday during the NBA predraft activities. “But they talked to me and said there are times we wish to move Derrick (Rose) off the ball. When they said that to me, it fell into place.

Here's a list of other players that have worked out with us so far
Tons of top players confirmed they have worked out for the Bulls: Miami’s Jack McClinton; Temple’s Dionte Christmas; UCLA’s Darren Collison; Syracuse’s Paul Harris; North Carolina’s Danny Green and Tyler Hansbrough; Louisville’s Terrence Williams; Tennessee’s Tyler Smith; Xavier’s Derrick Brown; Memphis’ Robert Dozier; Missouri’s DeMarre Carroll and Georgetown’s DaJuan Summers.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagot.../2009/05/bulls-busy-at-nba-predraft-camp.html

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
It's a stretch to call those guys top players ;)

Anyway, if Flynn is there at 16, I think you have to take him, no question. I don't see how he's not going to be awesome at the next level to be honest. I just think if you take him, that you're stuck with a serious developmental challenge given our team.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
It's a stretch to call those guys top players ;)

Anyway, if Flynn is there at 16, I think you have to take him, no question. I don't see how he's not going to be awesome at the next level to be honest. I just think if you take him, that you're stuck with a serious developmental challenge given our team.

You just pack Kirk bags I guess. Play Flynn 20 minutes next year and take in from there. Like Flynn said the Bulls told him they like to play Rose off the ball so it shouldn't be a problem finding him minutes if Kirk is gone

Hoover

Liked Posts:
That's interesting. I didn't see Flynn play much, but isn't he a fairly similar player, in terms of style, to Rose? I personally don't think the bulls need another small guard. One thing I've really noticed about the final 4 Nba teams is their size, except Cleveland.

Doug what do you think about Demar Derozan? He seems like the type of player whom could be a star at the next level.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I think we're going to end up drafting one of the Missouri players, Leo Lyons or Demarre Caroll sometime. They're used to playing in a fastpaced system (fastest 40 minutes in basketball), and it was a defensive system, something we need.

Carroll is kind of like Nocioni, only used to playing at a faster pace....and he actually PLAYS DEFENSE.

If we are trading Deng for Shaq, Carroll would make perfect sense at 26.