Chicago Cubs inquire on David Price

Ron Burgundy

hi-res-7a77c415d41aabcf64c62cf84d2d708b_crop_north.jpg

According to reports, the Chicago Cubs wasted no time inquiring about Detroit Tigers pitcher, David Price.https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/624060329408991232The Cubs are in the market for a starting pitcher, but reports have been scattered as to what level of pitcher the team is interested in adding. They've been connected to Price, Cole Hamels, Scott Kazmir, Mat Latos, and*even a rumble or two concerning Jeff Samardzija.With the sudden availability of Price after the Tigers announced they were looking to trade the left*hander, along with outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, the Cubs immediately became interested. Price was already presumed to be at the top of the Cubs wishlist this offseason.Price is putting up another David-Price-like season, currently holding a 9-3 record, 2.32 ERA (2.78 FIP), and a 1.11 WHIP. Strangely enough, that's (barely) his*highest*WHIP since 2011. In short, this guy's kind of good.The Cubs connection to Price is about as surprising as the sun coming up this morning. He played under Joe Maddon for all of his time with the Tampa Bay Rays (2008-2014), is the type of arm the Cubs need, and the Cubs have the organizational depth to trade for Price, or the deep pockets to entice him via free agency.The primary wonder is whether or not the Cubs should just wait and go after Price in the offseason. Without sounding flippant and throwing around $150 million like it's chump change, the Cubs could feasibly land Price in the offseason without having to part with any prospects. And as encouraging as the Cubs overall performance has been in 2015, they appear headed for, at best, a wildcard spot, consequently meaning they'll be at the mercy of the one-game playoff. And let's be honest, justly or not, with respect to Jake Arrieta, is there any way Jon Lester doesn't start that game?Conversely, if they Cubs*do*trade for him, who do the Tigers want? Rather, who are the Cubs willing to give up? Javier Baez? Kyle Schwarber? Billy McKinney? Starlin Castro? Addison Russell? Despite Price currently being a two-month rental, the Tigers won't give him away. Even not wanting to give up prospects, it's probably selling the process short by saying "just go sign him in the offseason" --like it's that easy.Another issue with trading for Price is that, with so many teams interested (most everyone will have at least a passing interest), you'll almost definitely overpay. Despite the tantalizing thought of Lester, Arrieta, and Price atop the rotation, the reality is that the Cubs have no reason to be antsy. No one is going to blame them for waiting until the offseason to significantly upgrade. *If they insist, parting with prospects is alright to land someone like Price, but you'd hope there would be a long-term willingness from Price's camp before actually pulling the trigger on a deal.We'll see.

More...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is there a major character flaw with Cespedes? How much cocaine are we talking about?

Because the A's paid a huge ransom to get him here, and they were absolutely rocking when they sunk their season with a huge surprise trade of him.

Now Detroit has him less than a year and want out? hmmmm

He is statistically an asset I thought? I would love to pick up a Price/Cespedes bundle, TALENT!!! The cubs would be instant title contenders imo, if they didn't lose any of their top 13 hitters to pull this.

Castro, Montero, Baez and what? what are we talking?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs can overpay. The time is now. There is no tomorrow in sports. Shit happens. Players fade. Players get hurt. They hold the wild card!! go for it...why?

Cuz their wallet is fat with talent. Get the best 8 on the field for the playoffs.

I love Denorphia and Caughlin both, but they remind me more of a Rajai Davis level. Good enough to start, but you prefer they are the 4th guy.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Overpay when they can sign in offseason?

Trade yourself into a hole in the infield? LaStella is not starter quality.

I am ok parting w prospects, but paying big to get a guy who will be FA seems unnecessary.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Overpay when they can sign in offseason?

Trade yourself into a hole in the infield? LaStella is not starter quality.

I am ok parting w prospects, but paying big to get a guy who will be FA seems unnecessary.

I agree. If oyu pay big, it's for Cole. Not David.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
The Cubs acquiring a top notch starting pitcher would be cool but they need a top notch hitter more right now.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would be a bad trade without him signing an extension immediately. He won't necessarily do enough in 2015 to help a team that goes through stretches of not scoring runs.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is too big of a risk that Price walks in free agency. Then you have little to show for your prospect investment.

Hamels is under control and has more value.

Crazy idea, trade for Hamels and then sign Price.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
There is too big of a risk that Price walks in free agency. Then you have little to show for your prospect investment.

Hamels is under control and has more value.

Crazy idea, trade for Hamels and then sign Price.
• The Tigers aren't necessarily opposed to granting a 48-hour window during which the acquiring team could negotiate a possible contract extension with Price

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/detroit-tigers-david-price-trade-jon-paul-morosi-072515

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Free agency after the season and Price walks to us. He will be a Cub next year