Chris Simms Top 40 NFL Quarterbacks: Trubisky @ #20 ???

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I have a hard time crediting to post season jitters considering he played in 2 national championship games at Clemson. Could be though.
Watson is not a top 6 QB. Not even close.

Rodgers
Mahomes
Brady
Rivers
Ben
Ryan
Wilson

^ all objectively better than him. He was a bit better than Trubisky last year.

Didn't seem to me that he made that 2nd year jump although it's hard to make a jump from 103 in your rookie year, especially given his offensive line. I'd be doing backflips if Trubs had a passer rating of 103

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don’t understand why Deshaun watson’s absolutely abysmal playoff game doesn’t cast more doubt on him.

Probably because in a body of 24 professional starts, basing the analysis on one is probably not wise. Overall he's been very good.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Probably because in a body of 24 professional starts, basing the analysis on one is probably not wise. Overall he's been very good.

There's a high standard on this board for Watson, which just doesn't exist for Trubisky.

Watson was "Mahomes version 2017" and tore his ACL. Dude magically comes back in a few months, yet the standard for him is still unreasonably high.

I think Watson is going to bounce back nicely next year. You'll know by all the butthurt around here.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I agree with all points but man his performance wasn’t just bad it was down right awful. Like watching Mitch week 1 vs GB, but worse.
Except it was complete opposite. Mitch did well in the first quarter and Deshaun did decent in the fourth. But if we are going to use excuses, Mitch would have had a victory, most likely, had Fuller intercepted that throw from The great and powerful Rodgers.....and if his o-line would have played better. IMO

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I do like his wide receivers going forward. KeKe Coutee is going to be a very good war next to Hopkins.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fuller was a 1st round pick that can turn on the jets. Hopkins>AR, Fuller>Gabriel. Miller is a fine RB that can catch with 5 straight 1100+ yard seasons and fits their system better than any back did ours last year. That O has holes to fill but it's not like Watson doesn't have any help like some make out. His OL sucked but he didn't help them by holding the ball that long.

Mitch had a greater quantity of viable targets due to TE and a one armed Miller but the RB and starting WRs were not as good for the passing game as Houston's. Bear OL was better than Houston's but still in the bottom 3rd of the league last year.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Fuller was a 1st round pick that can turn on the jets. Hopkins>AR, Fuller>Gabriel. Miller is a fine RB that can catch with 5 straight 1100+ yard seasons and fits their system better than any back did ours last year. That O has holes to fill but it's not like Watson doesn't have any help like some make out.
Qbs would kill for a DeAndre Hopkins and KeKe Coutee. Martin and Fulton are decent lineman and they drafted 2 tackles in the first 2 rounds,couple that with the Qb making everyone around him better, they should be fine for next season

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2014 "If I had to rank them, just where I see them down the road in the NFL, it would be Wentz, Paxton Lynch, Jared Goff," Simms told host Adam Schein.

Lamar Jackson was his #1 Qb in May before last year's draft.

“Tom Brady’s not in my top five. I mean, he’s still really good, but I like other guys better. I’d go Aaron Rodgers one, Andrew Luck two, Ben Roethlisberger three, Russell Wilson four and Peyton five.”

2015 “My big issue with Tom Brady really is, ever since he hurt his knee to start the season in 2008 — of course he’s been awesome, I know that — but his mechanics changed, his ability to throw the ball down the field was not nearly as effective as he was before the knee (injury).”

"I’m a realistic person. To say that Tom Brady is still one of the five best quarterbacks at 39 years old is a little crazy. It would be like saying Kobe Bryant’s still one of the five best players in the NBA."

About Brady comebacks, “I do think as a sports fan, communities, all of us, people have a hard time putting these fairy tale endings to bed. Mickey Mouse isn’t real."

Simms couldn't make progressions or rise to an occasion his entire NFL career. I was going to say to save his life but it literally almost killed him. Dumps on Brady for all the short passes and says it's about his catchers when Brady pushes the ball downfield at crunch time.

He had Cutler as his #5 QB in 2015. Anybody want to swap?

Here's last year's list.
1. Rodgers
2. Wilson
3. Brady
4. Stafford
5. Wentz
6. Roethlisberger
7. Newton
8. Watson
9. Ryan
10. Brees
11. Andrew Luck
12. Kirk Cousins
13. Philip Rivers
14. Derek Carr
15. Jimmy Garoppolo
16. Jameis Winston
17. Alex Smith
18. Dak Prescott
19. Marcus Mariota
20. Jared Goff
21. Case Keenum
22. Joe Flacco
23. Sam Bradford
24. Mitchell Trubisky
25. Andy Dalton
26. Tyrod Taylor
27. Ryan Tannehill
28. Jacoby Brissett
29. Josh McCown
30. Patrick Mahomes
It's not horrendous but no better and probably worse than many fans could do.

Chris may or may not be right about Mitch but why would anyone care what he thinks?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a high standard on this board for Watson, which just doesn't exist for Trubisky.

Watson was "Mahomes version 2017" and tore his ACL. Dude magically comes back in a few months, yet the standard for him is still unreasonably high.

I think Watson is going to bounce back nicely next year. You'll know by all the butthurt around here.
Get a grip. Watson was never close to anything Mahomes did. Nor did he magically come back in a "few" months unless you consider 9 as a few, which nobody else does.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Make a list of all of the quarterbacks that would have had as much or more success than Brady over like the last 18 years if they were in his shoes. If that list has more than one or two names on it, if any, you are totally kidding yourself.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm too lazy to go through this whole thread to see if someone already posted this, but here is the video associated with his ranking:

I think it's very fair.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm too lazy to go through this whole thread to see if someone already posted this, but here is the video associated with his ranking:

I think it's very fair.

I just read through this too. And at this moment, I and most everybody in this thread think #20 is good for Trubisky. It is some of the other rankings that are pretty close to insane.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just read through this too. And at this moment, I and most everybody in this thread think #20 is good for Trubisky. It is some of the other rankings that are pretty close to insane.
This and those other rankings just makes the reference rather useless in general. Sort of like Simms in all his pursuits after college.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Get a grip. Watson was never close to anything Mahomes did. Nor did he magically come back in a "few" months unless you consider 9 as a few, which nobody else does.
Starting at a reasonably high level after what was actually 10 months (Nov 7 surgery) isn't magic but it is a feather in his cap and did limit one of his strongest attributes early last year. Simms has him too high for a couple of reasons but I respect that Watson was ready. Showed the warrior spirit.