Chris Simms Top 40 NFL Quarterbacks: Trubisky @ #20 ???

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The knock on Cousins - and a fair one, IMO - is that he rarely, if ever, beats a team with a winning record. His wins all come against losing teams, and stats that he gets against winning teams are in losing efforts. Piling up passing yards while losing is for fantasy football fans, not real ones.

Not a bad argument, but football is weird and one player can only do so much. The 4 seasons he started every game in Washington in points against they were ranked 29th, 17th, 19th and 27th. His last year in Minnesota they were ranked 9th, but that was quite a drop off from the 1st ranking the previous season.

Sorta tough for a QB to 'get the win' when his defense can't get the stop? It's even tougher when they play against playoff caliber teams who slice them apart.

I'm not saying Kirk is the greatest QB, but much of the 'can't beat good teams' narrative can be attributed back to his team not being that good. I've said this before, but he reminds me of Tony Romo from 2011-2013. Everyone said they would be horrible in December and he was not a big game guy. Truthfully all those teams were bad and he'd will them to a .500 record.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the Brees and Bradys spots are strange. I get them dropping cause old age, but come on. Simms is trying a little too hard with those.

They have obviously declined though in the last 2 years. I think if you look at this list after next season it will be nearly perfect, with the caveat that Trubisky probably has the best chance to jump up with another 12-4 season.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Ryan had an incredible year last year. It flew under the radar because his defense sucked, but that whole team was pretty much Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Even the running attack petered out. I'm not putting Watson over Ryan just yet. Newton can't even get anyone to swap seats with him on an airplane, so I have Watson over him, though.
Newton is definitely in the coach section of NFL QB's

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Two in the top five already (albeit just Simms' opinion). So much for the whole "there isn't a first round QB in this draft" narrative from 2017.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh. I feel as though this list was made in the moment after watching Goff implode during the Superbowl. Im not a fan of Goff but seriously the guy is below Cousins. That aint right
Based off that blah SB, no doubt. Another meatball who can't see the forest for the trees.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I was told by a certain someone that Rivers was far better than Wilson though. Guess it turns he actually isn’t right all the time.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was told by a certain someone that Rivers was far better than Wilson though. Guess it turns he actually isn’t right all the time.
Wilson is superior. I put him at the elite level while Rivers seems to forever hang on the cusp, better than most but not among the very best.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Wilson is superior. I put him at the elite level while Rivers seems to forever hang on the cusp, better than most but not among the very best.
Wilson is behind only Brady, Rodgers, and maybe Brees but by a very small amount.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think even Brees knows he has declined...

they changed the offense to suit his current ability.

Brady is the goat but he has been on and is near the precipice. His last battle, his last big game, against father time...dude is doing better than the rest of us, but his opponent never loses. The end is nye.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I think even Brees knows he has declined...

they changed the offense to suit his current ability.

Brady is the goat but he has been on and is near the precipice. His last battle, his last big game, against father time...dude is doing better than the rest of us, but his opponent never loses. The end is nye.
Agreed. I think this is a “going forward” kind of list and Brees and Brady don’t have much time left and aren’t what they used to be (obviously). They’re 2 of the absolute greatest of all time QBs though.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would love nothing more than Brady's last game to be a Super.Bowl beat down at the hands of a Bears defense. Give him the full Patriots experience to send him off with.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm with West Coast on this one. Consistently great for a # of years and can make chicken salad out of most anything.

When we drafted Mitch I was ecstatic about the pick but also dreaded what this board could be like for his 1st couple years. Not because detractors would necessarily be wrong about his play but we have been conditioned to knowing our QB is shitty and have run out of the required patience to accomodate someone as green as Mitch was.

CCS did not disappoint.