Clutts vs Mannelly

Rise

Liked Posts:
I am going off of memory here but Clutts seemed to fill Mannelly's role nicely last season. I don't remember many mistakes, he also did a nice job long snapping this preseason. So the question becomes who holds more value to the team? The best LS of all time, who does nothing else, or an adequate LS who also provides blocking ect when needed? Could he have done the LS job all year?

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I am going off of memory here but Clutts seemed to fill Mannelly's role nicely last season. I don't remember many mistakes, he also did a nice job long snapping this preseason. So the question becomes who holds more value to the team? The best LS of all time, who does nothing else, or an adequate LS who also provides blocking ect when needed? Could he have done the LS job all year?

fwiw, Mannelly is a captain on this team, and a voice in the locker room I believe. He probably holds more value to the team for that alone.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
fwiw, Mannelly is a captain on this team, and a voice in the locker room I believe. He probably holds more value to the team for that alone.

QFT

People don't get a chance to put a stock into intangibles. But they matter a lot. If he has the brain to go with his heart, I hope he gets an opportunity to be picked up as an assistant coach on the Bears.

Rise

Liked Posts:

Excellent point that I honestly did not consider. This is why I posed the question! Only counter to that I can think of is for how long? How many years does Mannelly have left? We are in win now mode no doubt and a move like this confirms it even more imo.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Mannelly. He may do only one job, but he does it better than everyone else.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
QFT

People don't get a chance to put a stock into intangibles. But they matter a lot. If he has the brain to go with his heart, I hope he gets an opportunity to be picked up as an assistant coach on the Bears.

Got a degree in History from Duke. He's got the intelligence.

Also played LT (Very well, might I add) @ Duke. We should've stuck him there in the preseason to see if he's still got it. haha

Lelugas

Liked Posts:
Mannelly is consistent on every snap because that is what he is focused on. I don't want to mess up the long snaps because we are trying to sneak a FB on the roster who will play maybe a quarter of the time on O. Plus there is more chance of Clutts being injured taking O snaps. Too much risk involved. I'd much rather have Mannelly.

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
Excellent point that I honestly did not consider. This is why I posed the question! Only counter to that I can think of is for how long? How many years does Mannelly have left? We are in win now mode no doubt and a move like this confirms it even more imo.

He might be 37 years old, but he probably has less wear and tear on his body than most of the much younger players, sure he has to block and tackle along with snapping, but not that often and with usually plenty of rest between plays.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brought up the same point on CBMB and got fried for doing so, but I still agree that clutts could do it just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
Brought up the same point on CBMB and got fried for doing so, but I still agree that clutts could do it just fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Clutts could get the job done no question, that was just one of the reasons I wanted him to stay on the team.

But if the choice had to be Mannelly or Clutts I think it is an easy choice to make.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Mannelly is consistent on every snap because that is what he is focused on. I don't want to mess up the long snaps because we are trying to sneak a FB on the roster who will play maybe a quarter of the time on O. Plus there is more chance of Clutts being injured taking O snaps. Too much risk involved. I'd much rather have Mannelly.

The injury risk is valid, but I'd argue Mannelly, at this age, and recovering from knee surgery is an equal injury risk. If Clutts would actually have played in 25% of the offensive snaps I think that makes an even stronger case to choose Clutts as well.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Clutts could get the job done no question, that was just one of the reasons I wanted him to stay on the team.

But if the choice had to be Mannelly or Clutts I think it is an easy choice to make.

So you think Clutts can do the job, while adding additional value to the team, yet you choose Mannelly? Is his leadership really this valuable on this veteran team? Perhaps it is, and that is the only valid point I have read so far from anyone to choose Mannelly so far.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tyler Clutts' importance to the offense is likely overstated.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Tyler Clutts' importance to the offense is likely overstated.

I hope you're right. I know however, that Mannelly brings nothing else but LS physically.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope you're right. I know however, that Mannelly brings nothing else but LS physically.

Mannelly brings LS perfection on a team that highly values special teams.

Tyler Clutts brings some good lead blocking. I've seen that out of most of our TEs that do a better job doubling as a receiving threat.

Our fourth round pick was responsible for about fifteen yards of the glorious end-around by Hester.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The one thing he does, he arguably does better than anyone ever has ( speed and accuracy) and what he does is directly related to the chance of making field goals/scoring points. Clutts was not the best runner or receiver out of the back field. He is a good blocker, but he isn't Lorenzo Neal. Liked the guy, but he just didn't add enough value to keep.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The injury risk is valid, but I'd argue Mannelly, at this age, and recovering from knee surgery is an equal injury risk. If Clutts would actually have played in 25% of the offensive snaps I think that makes an even stronger case to choose Clutts as well.
Their is no way the injury risk is even close to the same. Clutts hits DE's and LB's at full speed, they can't even line up over Mannelly. He is at possibly the lowest chance of injury on the team. He snaps and stands for a block. No pulling, no cutting. Last yrs injury was a freak event for a long snapper, the punter or kicker has a better chance at injury chasing a return.

Jake

Liked Posts:
The texans run game just got a good blocker in Clutts. Foster will be pleased

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Clutts has been long snapping partially for about 3 years. Mannerly has been full time for 15 going back to Duke. If you can't see why it's hard to trust the part timer who's snaps haven't been perfect it's pretty telling. Think there would be LS spots if other postition guys were dependable? Not all full time long snappers are as solid as Mannerly.