Clutts vs Mannelly

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I am going off of memory here but Clutts seemed to fill Mannelly's role nicely last season. I don't remember many mistakes, he also did a nice job long snapping this preseason. So the question becomes who holds more value to the team? The best LS of all time, who does nothing else, or an adequate LS who also provides blocking ect when needed? Could he have done the LS job all year?
Rise, on the surface, I'd say your idea is genius... 'since Clutts has LS well, and is a best run blocker, cut Mannelly and let Clutts LS and play as FB/HB'. But I'd agree with the other posters: LS perfection and consistency is incredibly valuable; LS is specialized, and Clutts isn't at that level. And also throw in the intangibles of Team - Mannelly as team captain, locker room moral, management not being seen as overly cut throat.

Still, now that Clutts (our previous backup LS), who is our new backup LS?

dawags

Liked Posts:
Do the Bears know who the backup LS is?

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Do the Bears know who the backup LS is?

I'm sure they know. It's usually a TE or sometimes a LB. Before when it was Des Clark- Greg Olsen was next after him in backup duty.

Far as I know it'll probably be a guy like Spaeth.. maybe the backup center in E.Williams? No fans have any clue.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'm sure they know. It's usually a TE or sometimes a LB. Before when it was Des Clark- Greg Olsen was next after him in backup duty.

Far as I know it'll probably be a guy like Spaeth.. maybe the backup center in E.Williams? No fans have any clue.
Edwin Williams, that's a good guess. Certainly a prime suspect, I'd think. You'd want to have a regular backup player (backup C) for your backup LS, as opposed to pulling a starter.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I've never seen a backup center fill in as a long snapper though.. they might not do it to mess up their muscle memory of shotgun snaps being too erratic. Because every time I've seen a guy fill it's been a TE like Des Clark or a LB like James Harrison. It's just usually not a big deal since LS's don't get hurt all that often. Yes Mannerly did last year but he seems to be fine at this point now.

It's not that much of a thing teams focus on even though it can harm them in the game itself, but there's other full time LS players they can get off the street and last it showed they trusted a guy like that more than Clutts.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just because someone can fill in as a long snapper doesn't mean they could play it full time. Mannelly has been great as a the long snapper and there's no reason to replace him.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
So you think Clutts can do the job, while adding additional value to the team, yet you choose Mannelly? Is his leadership really this valuable on this veteran team? Perhaps it is, and that is the only valid point I have read so far from anyone to choose Mannelly so far.
How about the fact that Mannelly has been one of, if not the best LS in the NFL for 15 years!

mecha

Liked Posts:
be thankful you had to ask this question.. I remember Dez being a trainwreck at LS. lol