Could we see Dunn in Cubbie Blue Next Year...

Could We See Adam Dunn in Cubbie Blue?

• Total voters

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i would love to see it happen

as i said in another thread dunn is a consistent 40 HR hitter...and it would certainly help if he played in wrigley where he does well at...

and has a pretty good BA as well

i wouldnt want to overpay him however

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course we could see him, but like a few others have said, where is that money coming from?

Even if the Cubs only have to eat a portion of Fukudome and Zambrano's contracts, any money saved there will probably be lost when Soto, Marmol, and Marshall get their arbitration raises.

The Cubs need to stay away from large, long term contracts and allow the farm to develop the major league talent.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
i would love to see it happen

as i said in another thread dunn is a consistent 40 HR hitter...and it would certainly help if he played in wrigley where he does well at...

and has a pretty good BA as well

i wouldnt want to overpay him however

I love Adam Dunn but no, he really doesn't. I couldn't care less about batting average, but if you're trying to defend Dunn bringing up his batting average is probably not the best move.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Of course we could see him, but like a few others have said, where is that money coming from?

Even if the Cubs only have to eat a portion of Fukudome and Zambrano's contracts, any money saved there will probably be lost when Soto, Marmol, and Marshall get their arbitration raises.

The Cubs need to stay away from large, long term contracts and allow the farm to develop the major league talent.

That money doesn't immediately disappear though, it's still on the 2011 books. It's still in Rickett's bottom line. That's sunk costs no matter what. After the 3 arb deals and filling out the rest of the bench the Cubs are realistically looking at around $130-150 million. There is no way they can add another top-tier bat like Gonzalez or Dunn. They simply can't afford to operate that way.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
its respectable compared to other power hitters imo(@Fedex's post about Dunn's BA)

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dunn's average will drop at Wrigley because it's a smaller field. But, I'm surprise, he has a higher average than usual (.277) and less K's than usual.

GrinderBall41

Sox/B'Hawks/Bears/Purdue
Liked Posts:
I assume Ricketts will want him, because he's not Special person and looks beyong AVG. But I dont see it happening.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
But Ricketts also really, REALLY likes making money and operating at a profit.

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That money doesn't immediately disappear though, it's still on the 2011 books. It's still in Rickett's bottom line. That's sunk costs no matter what. After the 3 arb deals and filling out the rest of the bench the Cubs are realistically looking at around $130-150 million. There is no way they can add another top-tier bat like Gonzalez or Dunn. They simply can't afford to operate that way.

I was talking about the 3 or 4 million they might get the other team to pay, which then wouldn't be on the Cubs' books.

And you are right, the payroll will probably need to drop for a few years while the debt is paid off, and Wrigley Field is renovated.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dunn has a .277 AVG, but a .343 BABIP, the highest in his career. Oddly enough his BB% is at a career low at 10.7 %

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Can't wait until half their rotation needs TJ during Spring Training.

Just wait until he gets his hands on Aroldis Chapman's 1.4+ AAA WHIP and below-AAA-average K/BB ratio. Match made in heaven.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Does it matter in Colvin can field good in the OF? I'm only concerned about getting Jackson up here, and if that is what it takes, I'd do it.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does it matter if Colvin can field good in the OF? I'm only concerned about getting Jackson up here, and if that is what it takes, I'd do it.

Fixed. A little because he will go from being an average OF, to a avergae 1B in my opinion. What about Soriano to 1B? That would be a :lmao: move and a :turrible: move.

But the Cubs could call up Jackson to LF. But, it won't happen and shouldn't.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
It wont happen. It would be nice, but it wont happen.

Like Fedex said, there is no money. This team's window to win it all came and went. It's time to re-build. Personally, I'd like to see them try and re-build like the Marlins do. Through trades, and farm system.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fixed. A little because he will go from being an average OF, to a avergae 1B in my opinion. What about Soriano to 1B? That would be a :lmao: move and a :turrible: move.

But the Cubs could call up Jackson to LF. But, it won't happen and shouldn't.

Pot-calling-the-kettle-black-734818.jpg

JustinTCB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It wont happen. It would be nice, but it wont happen.

Like Fedex said, there is no money. This team's window to win it all came and went. It's time to re-build. Personally, I'd like to see them try and re-build like the Marlins do. Through trades, and farm system.

We don't have the trade assets that those Marlins teams had. Instead we have bloated contracts for average at best players, who all happen to have no-trade clauses as well.

Given Jim Hendry's track records with trades though it isn't out of the question that he could get a useful player or two while moving those overpaid guys.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs fans that got use to the whole Hendry/"we're selling the team so just sign these dudes to blank check deals" are in for a rude awakening.

The Cubs don't have the revenue streams available to continue to operate with a top 5 payroll.

You guys already have $103 million locked up next year and that's before Marmol, Marshall or Soto go into arb. $103 million locked up in Soriano, Zambrano, Ramirez, Fukudome, Dempster, Silva, Byrd, Samardjza. For those scoring at home that's 8 guys.

You aren't signing Dunn or Gonzalez. You guys are going to have trouble filling out the rest of your bench and bullpen without going over $150 million. It's simply not plausible. The Cubs are not going to go into 2011 with a $180 million payroll.

Gonzalez isn't a FA next year.

I think that Dunn will command about 15 or 16M a year, so that would be about 3M more than Lee is making this year. Knowing Hendry he will backload the deal. I see it being 12/15/17ish. That would be 1 million less for next year than Lee is making this year.

So then we have :

Soriano 19
Z 19
Rami 14.6
Fuku 14.5
Demp 14.5
Silva 13
Dunn 12
Byrd 5.5
Grablow 5
Stinkfish 3.5
Marmol 5 million?
Marshall 2 million?
Gorzo 2 million?
Geo 2 million?

That's 14 players at 131 Million. We have 5.5 coming for Silva, so that's 125 million for 14 players. I see us trading Z and getting back 5 millionish. Trading Fukudome and getting 5 millionish. So that's 12 players at 115 million. We have enough starters, so we don't need to replace Z. Fukudome on the other hand, would need to be replaced. I think we could probably reup Nady at about 3 million + incentives or so. So I'd say about 13 players at 120 million. Then we have Wells, Castro, Colvin, Cashner, and a bunch of bullpen arms making league minimum. So I'd say we have 10 players at league minimum. That puts us at 124 million. Then we could sign a couple other players and still be under 130 million. I think we can sign him and still easily lower the payroll.

Hasn't Ricketts been preaching fiscal conservatism since day 1? Signing a 30-year old Dunn to the huge huge contract he is going to command wouldn't be very "conservative", financially-speaking.

Bigger players age better as opposed to speedy players. I think that Jim can sign him to a 3 year deal, which wouldn't make his age a factor at all. He'd be 33 in his final year.

without dunn, and im saying this because i do not believe that the cubs will pony up another big contract, can still compete. i still think there are bigger holes to fill...overhaul of the BP

We don't need to overhaul our bullpen. It's stupid to pay a lot for relievers. They pitch one inning. Plus, we have a TON of depth at pitching in our farm system. Ricketts talks about using the farm system, so use it. That being said, I think we will see Kerry Wood make his return to Chicago as a reliever.

See the first post I quoted. Basically the money is coming from Derrek Lee's contract.

Sure they could. Lee and Lilly off the books would allow them to sign Dunn or Gonzalez to a ridiculous deal to play 1st base. I could see it happening, but doubt it will...since we are on a youth movement.

Pitching would be pretty shotty, but you couldn't deny that a lineup of:

1. Colvin
2. Castro
3. Dunn/Gonzalez
4. Ramirez (hopefully healthy)
5. Byrd
6. Soriano
7. Soto
8. DeWitt/Barney (platoon)
9. Pitcher

wouldn't be semi-productive and much more reliable compared to this year's lineup.

Keep in mind, I don't think this deal will happen. Simply pipe-dreaming.
Colvin better not lead off. He is shitty as a leadoff hitter.