Couple Tyrus notes

AirP

Liked Posts:
Really? An hour of being shoved and tossing up a 1 handed shot, work on one thing at a time. I'd like to see him finish better near the basket but you're jumping the gun a little bit.

Who knows how long each stage of these will take, could be hours, days or weeks...

1. - practice one handed shots in the paint, once he starts doing well continue to 2.
2. - work on quick 1 handed putbacks, simulate going up for rebounds coming down and putting up a quick shot 1 handed shot, once he starts getting good at this comes 3.
3. - simulate a quick putback off a rebound with some contact.

If he can get to 3 and become somewhat solid with that, his touch around the basket with contact will be dramatically better then it has been and it will help him in finishing drives.

But for what it's worth, with Tyrus' working on his jumper it has given him much better touch then he had his first 2 seasons although still bad, it's still a work in progress.

AirP

Liked Posts:
On Tyrus' shooting percentage... overall it was 45%, but after November the lowest the rest of the year was 46% with months of... 51%, 46%, 49%, 46%, 46%

Just removing that horrible Boston game where he went 2 of 17... his season FG% raises 1% from 45% to 46% for the season.

Getting down to his midrange game, removing the Boston game where he went 1 of 11 on midrange shots... his season midrange FG% goes from .345 to .353 which puts him infront of such names as Iguodala, J.Green, T.McGrady and Kenyon Martin and less then 1% away from... D.Lee, S.Hawes, Westbrook, Rondo, S.Jackson and K.Love... and intereseting enough it would put him just behind Big Baby by 1.2% FG% for the year from mid range.

MADman24

Liked Posts:
Alot of good points here on where his focus should be, I didn't realize he was in such poor company with his jumper but like you pointed out and everyone notice it improves as the season went along, and while working on his game this summer it wouldn't hurt to gain 10-15 pounds of muscle either.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
The good thing is that he stayed in Chicago and is already working out.

AirP

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
The good thing is that he stayed in Chicago and is already working out.

If you remember, his first offseason everyone was on him because he left Chicago... Skiles question whether he even worked on his game. Tyrus left the team and worked on his jumper and made a pretty good jump in his form and it showed in his FTs and wide open jumper, 2nd offseason he continued to improve his jumper and started showing more faith in it even when not opened(which led to bad shots). Hopefully in his 3rd offseason he's working on other parts of his game where he won't rely on his jumper nearly as much because it feels like the confortable thing to do. I think Tyrus is a pretty hard worker by himself, not so much with the team, maybe it's a difference of philosophies of what he should be working on?

BTW... Tyrus will not be working with David Thorpe this summer, Thrope will be working with Deng and Noah.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
AirP wrote:
Really? An hour of being shoved and tossing up a 1 handed shot, work on one thing at a time. I'd like to see him finish better near the basket but you're jumping the gun a little bit.

Eh, I could take the hour out of there, but he needs to spend extensive time trying all kinds of moves at the basket while getting pushed. Layups, hooks, whatever. I'm sure Tyrus is fine alone in the gym with 1 handed shots. The thing that kills him is the contact and the adjustments.

So I guess I'd just have him trying to take 1 handers as much as possible while forcing him to adjust to a lot of defensive presence. I'm not really sure the best way to teach that type of technique, but he needs to be able to finish with some body control when he's stretched out, gets bumped, or has to adjust.

If he does that alone, it will improve his game considerably.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
AirP wrote:

Eh, I could take the hour out of there, but he needs to spend extensive time trying all kinds of moves at the basket while getting pushed. Layups, hooks, whatever. I'm sure Tyrus is fine alone in the gym with 1 handed shots. The thing that kills him is the contact and the adjustments.

So I guess I'd just have him trying to take 1 handers as much as possible while forcing him to adjust to a lot of defensive presence. I'm not really sure the best way to teach that type of technique, but he needs to be able to finish with some body control when he's stretched out, gets bumped, or has to adjust.

They have these big pads that the trainers put on with both arms and push up against the player. I know Derrick Rose used those in his training leading up to the draft, and so did Michael Beasley.

I don't think the pads are really necessary, rather just a way to keep the trainers from getting hurt by the players.

AirP

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
AirP wrote:

They have these big pads that the trainers put on with both arms and push up against the player. I know Derrick Rose used those in his training leading up to the draft, and so did Michael Beasley.

I don't think the pads are really necessary, rather just a way to keep the trainers from getting hurt by the players.

Yeah, I've used those pads, so I understand what they are and what they're for. Tyrus could work with them not to learn to improvise a shot but to work on trying to power through the contact to score.

Tyrus just doesn't seem to have much touch while improvising a one handed shot, he just doesn't have the ability right now to put up a soft shot. When he gets a rebound in the lane he has no quick shot to put up an easy putback. Tyrus' bad touch is easy to see when he's trying to score on a putback which isn't a dunk, his size, quickness and jumping ability should make a putback pretty easy score but it's not for him. Even Tyrus' reverse layups aren't soft or have much touch.