Cubs Bullpen

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs recently added 2 new additions to their system for bullpen depth in Rafael Soriano and Ben Rowen, along with Yoervis Medina whom they got in Castillo trade in May..

Not that the Bullpen been bad as a whole, just makes me wonder if between break and deadline they may be making a couple moves to solidify it...

Jackson Wood Grimm Russelll Ramirez Rondon Strop Motte

Question is do they stay with 8 or go with 7 the final 2 months and add the extra bat to bench...
I personally feel they've been somewhat forced to go with 8 based on having to carry Jackson. ..

Of the 3 new addition Soriano most likely will be added when he ready in a week or two...

Have to think Jackson if not traded by deadline, will be waived Aug.1st and either released or be allowed to go if claimed...

They most likely hold onto wood because beside Russell he only lefty they have and provides SP depth and long relief. .. though i think hed be a good add on piece in a deal or can net a couple younger prospects in a deal if they choose to go with another in pen. ..

Be interesting to see how they go about adjusting pen with new additions. ..

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Have to think Jackson if not traded by deadline, will be waived Aug.1st and either released or be allowed to go if claimed...

Not sure how you trade Jackson before the deadline unless it's essentially a wavier trade before wavier trades. In other words, bad contract for bad contract. I would be surprised if they just flat out released him. He's owed too much money. If they can't find a wavier trade I'd wonder if they might move Wood instead. As I've said else where I like Wood as the long reliever in the pen better but if they can't find someone to eat at least some of Jackson's salary I could see them just using him as the LR guy next year and then come back in 2017 with an open bullpen spot. It's kind of what they did with Villanueva.

Ultimately, if Jackson is literally the last guy you bring in he's probably not going to do that much damage. But, with Hendricks not pitching deep into games until recently and an iffy #5 starter behind him we've seen Jackson more than we probably should have. That said, he's only pitched 30 innings most of which has been mop up time. 18.2 of those innings have been 2+ IP appearances. leaving you 11.1 where it might have mattered. That's not the most scientific way of addressing that concept but I figure if he's throwing 2 IP the cubs have probably already given up a bunch. Also, he's only given up 11 earned in those 30 innings. He's given up another 3 unearned. So he really hasn't been that bad. He's had 3 pretty bad appearances(4 runs last night, 3 on 5/9 vs MIL and 2 on 5/5 vs the STL). That is 9 ER in 1.2 IP. The only other 2 runs he gave up earned were on 6/9 with 1 in 3.2 IP vs Detroit and on 6/16 with 1 in 2 IP vs CLE.

I do tend to agree he restricts their roster though. You sort of need one of him or Wood but not both.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Doesn't look like he's doing very well.
Medina has given up 22 hits and 9 walks in 19.2 innings. He has a 6.41 ERA with a WHIP of 1.58
Mainly from his last game, he got rocked in his inning of work..

Supposedly he not happy he hasn't been called back up...

Grizzly

Liked Posts:
Mainly from his last game, he got rocked in his inning of work..

Supposedly he not happy he hasn't been called back up...

Actually 5 out of 13 games hes been touched up a little.

0.2 innings 4 hits, 2 runs
1.2 innings 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 runs
1.0 inning 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 runs
1.1 innings 2hits, 2 runs
1.0 innings 4 hits, 1 walk, 1 HBP, 5 runs

and hes not happy?

Shit, in the month of June Edwin Jackson pitched in 10 games, 16.1 innings with ERA of 1.10 and people want him released.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Actually 5 out of 13 games hes been touched up a little.

0.2 innings 4 hits, 2 runs
1.2 innings 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 runs
1.0 inning 3 hits, 1 walk, 2 runs
1.1 innings 2hits, 2 runs
1.0 innings 4 hits, 1 walk, 1 HBP, 5 runs

and hes not happy?

Shit, in the month of June Edwin Jackson pitched in 10 games, 16.1 innings with ERA of 1.10 and people want him released.

It is about how he failed to meet his contract vs any performance related stuff this year. Bias 100% based off they did not want him on the team when it started to get good.

He has been ok. I wouldn't mind having him and Wood in MR. But if the starter gets past the 6th then they should be leaning on Ramirez/Grimm then.