Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Owen Cassie only had 509 PAs all season in the minors. They don't play anywhere near enough games for Shaw to get that many and come up midseason for the cubs. At absolute best he would need a similar path that PCA took this season and PCA is only coming up with like 19 games left in the MLB season with Iowa only having like 12 left.

And before it gets mentioned, Horton is very unlikely to figure into the cubs plans next season either. Cubs babied the fuck out of him this season only having him throw 84.1 IP. My guess is they stretch him out like 110-120 IP next season. Wicks for example has a better health track record and threw 7 IP his draft year(0 for Horton), 94.2 IP his first full year and thus far has only thrown 108 IP. He probably makes 1-2 more starts and I'd assume he's the odd man out when Stroman is back. Regardless, counting on Horton to have a David Price like playoff run is unlikely for a team you would at least hope to have playoff ambitions for in 2024. It's more likely they shut him down early than have him contribute late in the season.

Sept Horton and Shaw would be with in reason.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I am not interested in opening a season with stopgaps.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Updates on the farm:

Cubs ranked #1 in value.

Two different top ten lists.

My own thoughts. Initially I thought our farm was light on level 70 and 65 prospected, but it seems no one else in the MLB has those either, only a handful of 60 grade prospects exist, and most of ours are in the 45-55 range. But we are loaded at 45 and higher, and people in these ratings can move up as they get older and progress in unexpected ways.

Also Max Shaw might get the Nico Hoerner treatment and get up here next year somehow.

We will also have to keep making these trade deadline deals to keep the right people on the 40 man roster to protect from the rule 5 draft. The trade of Velasquez was one like that. Caissie and Alcantara have similar profiles and are a redundancy. I could see them trading Alcantara over Owen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Updates on the farm:

Cubs ranked #1 in value.

Two different top ten lists.

My own thoughts. Initially I thought our farm was light on level 70 and 65 prospected, but it seems no one else in the MLB has those either, only a handful of 60 grade prospects exist, and most of ours are in the 45-55 range. But we are loaded at 45 and higher, and people in these ratings can move up as they get older and progress in unexpected ways.

Also Max Shaw might get the Nico Hoerner treatment and get up here next year somehow.

We will also have to keep making these trade deadline deals to keep the right people on the 40 man roster to protect from the rule 5 draft. The trade of Velasquez was one like that. Caissie and Alcantara have similar profiles and are a redundancy. I could see them trading Alcantara over Owen.

Shaw might become a trade chip. His arm is not strong enough for 3B and most predict that he becomes a 2B due to it.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Shaw might become a trade chip. His arm is not strong enough for 3B and most predict that he becomes a 2B due to it.
Well the same thing was said about Madrigal, and that proved to be wrong. I am sure he can work on his arm a bit to be big league ready.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well the same thing was said about Madrigal, and that proved to be wrong. I am sure he can work on his arm a bit to be big league ready.

Mad has to move into his throwing range for the most part. Watch some vid on him. That means deep throws are going to be a issue.

I'm just not sold on it. Mad was just a cheap ass move. simple as that.