Cubs in Talks to Acquire Jordan Zimmerman

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
PHOENIX – The Cubs aren’t waiting around for Jon Lester to make a splash this winter for frontline starting pitching.

Multiple sources said Tuesday the Cubs are in talks with the Washington Nationals to acquire right-hander Jordan Zimmermann, a two-time All-Star who has averaged 200 innings over the past three seasons.

And he’s just one of several All-Star caliber pitchers – along with All-Star catcher Russell Martin – the Cubs believe they can acquire if their strategy plays out according to plan, said one source.

Zimmermann, 28, would be a younger, potentially less-expensive alternative to the higher-end free agents on the market this off-season, though the player package to acquire him would have to include at least one of their touted young middle infielders, sources say.

One source said the teams have enough mutual interest that names have been discussed. Another said he expected the Cubs to complete the deal – along with Cardinals free agent Justin Masterson, who blamed minor injuries for season-long struggles in 2014 after a 2013 All-Star season.

Masterson is said to be willing to sign a low-cost one-year deal for a chance to prove himself in spring training, possibly similar to the $1 million deal the Cubs gave James McDonald last winter.

Lester, considered by some executives the most valuable free agent starter on the market, is still in play for the Cubs, say insiders, along with buy-low/upside guys such as Rockies free agent Brett Anderson, veteran bench guys such as Athletics free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes and bullpen help.

The suddenly cash-flush Cubs are involved in trying to build the big-league roster from so many different directions this winter that they’ve also checked in on Tigers free agent outfielder Torii Hunter, 39, for Hunter’s widely recognized leadership influence, a source close to Hunter confirmed.

Enough teams are involved in Hunter, though, that he’s not expected to land on the North Side.

Closing a deal for Zimmermann could become the signature move for the fourth-year Cubs front office if the team’s young hitting core develops over the next two years as planned.

The Wisconsin native, who has made 32 starts each of the last three seasons for contending teams, makes $16.5 million in the final year of his contract in 2015.

He turned down a five-year, $85-million extension offer last year before agreeing to a two-year deal that suddenly makes him a trade candidate this winter. The Nationals believe they have enough starting pitching depth to trade Zimmermann and remain competitive instead of paying his price, and his value won’t be any higher in July than it is now.

The Cubs, who likely will need assurances they can extend Zimmermann to finalize a deal, initiated the talks, according to a source, recognizing the Nationals’ need for the kind of middle-infield help – second base, in particular — that is an organizational strength for the Cubs.

Neither club would comment on the talks, though Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer acknowledged the Cubs might fill needs via trade before diving into the deep end of free agency.

“You have to explore both,” he said. “There’s going to be some interplay between the free agent starting pitching market and the trade starting pitching market. … It’s just a question of how it plays out.”

Would you guys rather land Zimmerman or Hamels via trade?

Wonder if this is in addition to adding a top tier SP via FA or a stand alone move. Would certainly make the Cubs rotation respectable with Zimmerman/Arrieta at the top.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Wonder if this is in addition to adding a top tier SP via FA or a stand alone move. Would certainly make the Cubs rotation respectable with Zimmerman/Arrieta at the top.

My guess - and it is, of course, only that - is that it is in addition to a FA signing. Why forego the FA's that cost no prospects, and only acquire through a trade?

If this trade happened, I would expect it would cost less than what Hamels would, so I like the idea.

The only problem is, I do not want to let ANY of the core prospects go at this point. I want acquisitions while retaining all the young prospects.

Now, if they take Vogelbach and Olt, I am happy with it! :)

In reality, I would expect to be happy with it regardless. But that is only if they make this move and Lester or close to it.

Think the Nats may go after Scherzer?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

It boils down to what you give up for the guy. Neither Hamels nor Zimmerman will come cheap. If I had my pick, it'd probably be Hamels, but if Zimmerman comes cheaper, you make the deal.

2nd base is a strength for the cubs? Thought it was Shortstop.

Masterson will not get 1 million on a 'prove it' deal like James McDonald. Expect a Scott Baker-like 5 mil. Josh Johnson will get the 1 mil 'prove it.'

No thanks on Tori Hunter. Go get Nick Markakis if you're going OF.

Then go draft the best pitcher you can with the #9 pick next June. Too early, but I like that Tom Eschelman kid from Cal State Fullerton

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Depends on the price. I would call them equal. It would depend if your rotation is RH heavy or LH heavy on who you value more. That said Hamels would have more value to the Cubs with Arrieta in the rotation. Still if the game plan is to trade for Zimmerman then to still go after Lester after it makes the rotation 3 TOR with Wada and Hendricks as the 4/5.

Still you would think that buying 1 year of control would cost less than buying 4-5 years of team control with Hamels. Hamels would cost the Cubs 3 prospects in their top 20. Zimmerman who has 1 year of Nat team control would cost much less. If they traded Russell. And it is going to come down to Baez's power or Russell's all around game. If they decide that they are going to stick with Castro then it makes sense to do this then any other players added would be minimal impact.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
My guess - and it is, of course, only that - is that it is in addition to a FA signing. Why forego the FA's that cost no prospects, and only acquire through a trade?

If this trade happened, I would expect it would cost less than what Hamels would, so I like the idea.

The only problem is, I do not want to let ANY of the core prospects go at this point. I want acquisitions while retaining all the young prospects.

Now, if they take Vogelbach and Olt, I am happy with it! :)

In reality, I would expect to be happy with it regardless. But that is only if they make this move and Lester or close to it.

Think the Nats may go after Scherzer?

I don't think the Nats go after Scherzer. I think the reason they are willing to trade Zimmerman is because they may not have the money to sign him. He turned down a $85 million deal with them last year.

The return should be much less than Hamels because the Cubs would only gain a year of Zimmerman, vs 4 of Hamels. Hamels also has the better track record, albeit at a higher AAV also.

Nats have quite a few guys hitting FA next year they are likely saving up for. Fister, Desmond, Span, and Clippard are the big names. The return would have to include at least one of the Cubs top 5 guys. Given that it is just 1 year of Zimmerman I can't imagine them getting a monster haul. He's gonna make $15 M plus, and even if he signed an extension, is it worth that much just to get first dibs on negotiations?

Also agree that it wouldn't be the only move, the article also talks about Masterson and Lester. Masterson maybe looking for a cheap 1-year deal to rebuild value, which would be absolutely perfect for the Cubs.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Zimmerman would be awesome, especially if they could also go out and sign Lester.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
It boils down to what you give up for the guy. Neither Hamels nor Zimmerman will come cheap. If I had my pick, it'd probably be Hamels, but if Zimmerman comes cheaper, you make the deal.

2nd base is a strength for the cubs? Thought it was Shortstop.

Masterson will not get 1 million on a 'prove it' deal like James McDonald. Expect a Scott Baker-like 5 mil. Josh Johnson will get the 1 mil 'prove it.'

No thanks on Tori Hunter. Go get Nick Markakis if you're going OF.

Then go draft the best pitcher you can with the #9 pick next June. Too early, but I like that Tom Eschelman kid from Cal State Fullerton

Meh, 2B, SS are similar. Baez, Alcantara, Russell could probably play both positions.

Masterson on a $5 million deal would be quite nice, I'd expect the Cubs to jump on that.

I agree on Hunter, don't want him. I don't think he fits a need for the team, and would be an expensive 4th OF. Would much rather go after Gomes, or if they want a starter Markakis, or enter the trade market.

Agreed on the draft. Cubs need to get add an elite arm to their prospect pool. Ideally a college pitcher who would be ready within 1-2 years.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Zimmerman would be awesome, especially if they could also go out and sign Lester.

I agree. I would be fine if they took Russell and McKenney that they got for Shark then they sign Zimmerman to 100-130 mil on a extend. Basically they upgrade from Shark with the the same chips.

It comes down to Russell and Castrro both play SS. Both are going to give ruffly the same production. Russell should net more BB with more stable D. Baez give a element neither of the other gives which is raw power.

End of the day that power is going to be desirable to the Cubs more than Russell. They have Castro under control. If they were going to get a strong trade return on Castro then that would be the big news. IMO his value is under question.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think the Nats go after Scherzer. I think the reason they are willing to trade Zimmerman is because they may not have the money to sign him. He turned down a $85 million deal with them last year.

The return should be much less than Hamels because the Cubs would only gain a year of Zimmerman, vs 4 of Hamels. Hamels also has the better track record, albeit at a higher AAV also.

Nats have quite a few guys hitting FA next year they are likely saving up for. Fister, Desmond, Span, and Clippard are the big names. The return would have to include at least one of the Cubs top 5 guys. Given that it is just 1 year of Zimmerman I can't imagine them getting a monster haul. He's gonna make $15 M plus, and even if he signed an extension, is it worth that much just to get first dibs on negotiations?

Also agree that it wouldn't be the only move, the article also talks about Masterson and Lester. Masterson maybe looking for a cheap 1-year deal to rebuild value, which would be absolutely perfect for the Cubs.
Their not making the trade unless Zimmerman agrees to an extension .....

I would rather have Zimmerman who could cost less in prospects and money, younger, plus without looking im guessing he has less mileage on his arm...

Im thinking the Nats are pretty set as far as their everyday lineup goes that maybe their looking for more of the prospects that may be 2 years away, besides possibly Alcantara for 2B.

Ive said before i wouldn't be surprised if they traded Alcantara for a need and use Coghlan in CF..

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I agree. I would be fine if they took Russell and McKenney that they got for Shark then they sign Zimmerman to 100-130 mil on a extend. Basically they upgrade from Shark with the the same chips.

It comes down to Russell and Castrro both play SS. Both are going to give ruffly the same production. Russell should net more BB with more stable D. Baez give a element neither of the other gives which is raw power.

End of the day that power is going to be desirable to the Cubs more than Russell. They have Castro under control. If they were going to get a strong trade return on Castro then that would be the big news. IMO his value is under question.

Even if he agrees to an extension, that shouldn't necesarily effect the trade value. The trade would be 1 year of Zimmerman control. The Cubs could just sign him for $130 million next year if they wanted him. Sure another team could trade for him in that time, but given the market next year that shouldn't be a huge problem

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Their not making the trade unless Zimmerman agrees to an extension .....

I would rather have Zimmerman who could cost less in prospects and money, younger, plus without looking im guessing he has less mileage on his arm...

Im thinking the Nats are pretty set as far as their everyday lineup goes that maybe their looking for more of the prospects that may be 2 years away, besides possibly Alcantara for 2B.

Ive said before i wouldn't be surprised if they traded Alcantara for a need and use Coghlan in CF..

I can't see Alcantara being the center of that deal. Not unless Edwards and Vogelbach are also in it.

Honestly that would be a not a bad deal from the Cubs perspective. At that point I would trade Jackson for Bourn to get a lead off with some speed at the top.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Even if he agrees to an extension, that shouldn't necesarily effect the trade value. The trade would be 1 year of Zimmerman control. The Cubs could just sign him for $130 million next year if they wanted him. Sure another team could trade for him in that time, but given the market next year that shouldn't be a huge problem

I agree it would be valued on what the Nats have control of.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I can't see Alcantara being the center of that deal. Not unless Edwards and Vogelbach are also in it.

Could see them giving the Nats Almora, but he may be too far away for their liking.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call him a center piece but if their looking for a mlb ready 2nd basemen then he probably where they start before discussing others..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't call him a center piece but if their looking for a mlb ready 2nd basemen then he probably where they start before discussing others..

While it is far too soon to speculate as to the pieces that might be included in a trade, the Cubs have several possible candidates that could be dangled. Starting shortstop Starlin Castro is signed to an attractive, yet pricey contract. And then there are heralded youngsters Javier Baez, Arismendy Alcantara, and Addison Russell.

If the Nats are looking for a strong total package then going after Alcantara makes sense. The 2 adds would have good value. If they started and stopped on Russel the adds would be less in number or quality as Russell is a top 10 prospect vs a top 100 prospect. World of difference.

BrewCrewFan

Liked Posts:
Nationals would want either Castro, Baez or Russell as the centerpiece. No way would they do the deal without one of those three.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I would be surprised if they trade Russell now, if "ever". But I don't see them trading their only SS who has proven it in the majors, and I can't see Baez in a trade right now. I know if they traded Russell and McKinney for Zimmerman, it is the same as flipping Shark and Hammel for Zimmerman, but that's not going to happen.

The A's were going for broke when they gave up that haul, and they got Shark for more time than we'd get Zimmerman. (I know, they're not equal in production.)

But we aren't in the "all-in" phase. Quite the opposite. If the Cubs are exploring a trad, obviously they have to give up somebody, but I doubt it's top, top guys, and if so, certainly not more than one.

A lower level guy - a Vogelbach, for example - could be thrown in. Or even a guy off the roster who could conceivably pitch in 2 for the Nats, like Travis Wood. But I doubt they'd do that.

I guess I am trying to talk myself into thinking we walk away with Zimmerman, and keep Castro, Baez and Russell. Alcantara could be traded. That I could se them doing. I like him, but he'd be more likely to go IMO.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nationals would want either Castro, Baez or Russell as the centerpiece. No way would they do the deal without one of those three.

I just don't think the Cubs are ready to trade Baez or Russell, and Castro is their only proven major league SS. For whatever people say about Starlin, I can't see them getting to a point where they expect/hope to contend, and enter the season without a major league SS. Unless they really think Russell is ready. Perhaps they do.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

If they want Castro, they would need to include something else in the deal. Otherwise, we can just wait a year and sign him as a FA. Nats aren't going to pay him what he wants so they're really at the mercy of the trade market.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
The A's were going for broke when they gave up that haul, and they got Shark for more time than we'd get Zimmerman. (I know, they're not equal in production.

This isn't a rental trade. Z would sign a long-term deal before the trade is completed.