Cubs Interested in Michael Bourn

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah they have to hope that they hit on a few and infuse established talent to the roster. IMO I believe you will know when the cubs believe in their youth when they start to insert more expensive pieces to the team....until than the cubs brass is still waiting and trying to build.

Reactions: X

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
yeah they have to hope that they hit on a few and infuse established talent to the roster. IMO I believe you will know when the cubs believe in their youth when they start to insert more expensive pieces to the team....until than the cubs brass is still waiting and trying to build.

I'm pretty sure we're on the exact same page...

For example, if the Cubs thought they could contend in 2013, they'd go out and get (not just throw good offers to) Hamilton and Grienke...Instead, they're pretending to have interest in Bourn, and going after Jeff Keppinger. :shrug:

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Does anybody follow @NotTomRicketts btw? I swear a poster from here was spouting some real nonsense at him that got retweeted and ridiculed.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anybody follow @NotTomRicketts btw? I swear a poster from here was spouting some real nonsense at him that got retweeted and ridiculed.

I do follow but I haven't been on twitter in a few days.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Quotes please :D

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Daddies3angels :lol:

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Spend to make competitive team. Sign enough guys to 2-3 yr deal atleast get a shot at 2nd WC. 100 loss teams suck. 2 in row

Not Tom Ricketts ‏
@daddies4angels Give me names. Who? Who makes this team competitive right now. Keep in mind this is currently a 60 win team. Go.

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Youk 3B 2yr deal, Hamilton LF 3yr deal, Bourn CF 3yr deal, Swisher RF 3yr deal, Wilson RP 1 yr deal. Have to overpay (cont)

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Castillo C, Rizzo 1B, Barney 2B, Castro SS, Youk 3B, Hamilton LF, Bourn CF, Swish RF. Trade DeJesus and Marmol to Cut 15 mil

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts salarly to keep years down. Doesn't block kids cause they 3+ yrs away. No long term. Short with big annual salarly.

Not Tom Ricketts ‏
.@daddies4angels So you want me to spend on a broken 3B, alcoholic, injury-prone outfielder, a released closer, and Nick Fucking Swisher?

Not Tom Ricketts
@daddies4angels That's your plan? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts I know you wouldn't like it. Cost you money
View conversation

Not Tom Ricketts
In one breath, I'm told I need to OVERPAY to land a bunch of shitty, old players and in the next I'm told I can keep payroll to $160M.

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts I understand. Rather lose 100 games spending 80-90 mil then going for 2nd WC spending 150-160 mil

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Yea I know. Ownership cheap. 3rd largest Revenue can only afford around 90 mil #cheapass

Not Tom Ricketts
Stop it! Stop it! You're killing me! My stomach hurts.... Oh man, this is too funny.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
500x268px-LL-74528a1e_raughs.jpeg

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hmmm.... I just think signing Bourn wouldn't fit the philosophy of what the Cubs are doing this offseason. Personally, I think BJ Upton would've been a better fit for this team, but it still would've been a new part of the lineup that wouldn't have truly had an impact, considering what else would be around him. I like the starting rotation additions, as well as the signing of Kyuji Fujikawa. But ultimately, signing Bourn wouldn't solve any problems for the Cubs, his OBP is a little too low for my taste. If we're going to splurge on a free agent, it should be on a guy that is a lock to address a need (a legit staff ace, a "real" leadoff hitter, another slugger to put with Rizzo).

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Spend to make competitive team. Sign enough guys to 2-3 yr deal atleast get a shot at 2nd WC. 100 loss teams suck. 2 in row

Not Tom Ricketts ‏
@daddies4angels Give me names. Who? Who makes this team competitive right now. Keep in mind this is currently a 60 win team. Go.

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Youk 3B 2yr deal, Hamilton LF 3yr deal, Bourn CF 3yr deal, Swisher RF 3yr deal, Wilson RP 1 yr deal. Have to overpay (cont)

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Castillo C, Rizzo 1B, Barney 2B, Castro SS, Youk 3B, Hamilton LF, Bourn CF, Swish RF. Trade DeJesus and Marmol to Cut 15 mil

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts salarly to keep years down. Doesn't block kids cause they 3+ yrs away. No long term. Short with big annual salarly.

Not Tom Ricketts ‏
.@daddies4angels So you want me to spend on a broken 3B, alcoholic, injury-prone outfielder, a released closer, and Nick Fucking Swisher?

Not Tom Ricketts
@daddies4angels That's your plan? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts I know you wouldn't like it. Cost you money
View conversation

Not Tom Ricketts
In one breath, I'm told I need to OVERPAY to land a bunch of shitty, old players and in the next I'm told I can keep payroll to $160M.

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts I understand. Rather lose 100 games spending 80-90 mil then going for 2nd WC spending 150-160 mil

daddies4angels
@NotTomRicketts Yea I know. Ownership cheap. 3rd largest Revenue can only afford around 90 mil #cheapass

Not Tom Ricketts
Stop it! Stop it! You're killing me! My stomach hurts.... Oh man, this is too funny.

Looks like a gave you guys good laugh lol

I heckle that guy everday. Its fun to get him going

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Cubs should sign Michael Bourn! So, the Phills can't and they have no choice but to take Soriano.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just can't see the Cubs adding a 30-year old to a semi-big contract and then trading Soriano to try to save money. I think he does go to Tex and takes Hamilton spot. To me that makes the most sense or to another team in the AL West - Seattle Mariners.

I may be bias, but I don't think he goes to Phi. Due to the fact the Phills don't like his price and I can't see his price coming down too much. Maybe there is a good chance. Soriano does go to Phi. There's an offer on the table, but Scott Boras has to stay wasting time and sign, then we will know.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nothing the Cubs have done over the past year makes me think they're willing to surrender that draft pick.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nothing the Cubs have done over the past year makes me think they're willing to surrender that draft pick.

Unless they're working on a deal to trade Garza and/or Soriano and know they'll be getting assets in return? :dunno:

There's also the consideration that if Bourn's demands drop enough, Boras may incline him to take a one-year deal in order to make himself available again next season, when he'll once again be one of the top outfield targets. If he does end up settling for a one-year pact, it would be in the Cubs best interest to snag him and flip him to a contender later in the season once the landscape of the playoff hunt comes into focus. On top of that, it's not like Bourn wouldn't fill a need (defensive-minded lead-off hitter who can lock down centerfield until Jackson is ready). If they land him for one-year at 12 to 14 million, and he ended up turning into some prospects, that could offset losing the second rounder.

Last edited:

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That could work, but it's a risky and messy way to go about things in my opinion. Might as well just stay away.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That could work, but it's a risky and messy way to go about things in my opinion. Might as well just stay away.

I'm not implying that I agree with that line of thinking.... :lol: